Do you like rockets?
Yes
 100%  [ 2 ]
No
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 2

There's a game that I especially like to play on Kongregate. Lately, I have been trying to port it to my Graphing Calculator . The problems I have, though, are these:
1. How can I make the graphscreen shift upwards? Is there a command in Hybrid BASIC that does this, or is it only Assembly that can do this?
2. How can I put in all of the powerups you can get during flight?(i.e., the refuel boxes, the speedup arrows, and so on)
3.How can I do acheivements?

I already have a working game, but without any of the above elements.

Note: I highly recommend that you play the game first before you try suggesting something here.

A hacked version can be found here, if you don't have the patience to try out the normal version.
caleb1997 wrote:
1. How can I make the graphscreen shift upwards? Is there a command in Hybrid BASIC that does this, or is it only Assembly that can do this?

That depends on which calc you have. Only Doors CS has it, not DoorsCSE. I don't know whether this is possible to do with Assembly.
caleb1997 wrote:
2. How can I put in all of the powerups you can get during flight?(i.e., the refuel boxes, the speedup arrows, and so on)

Or variables, or an appvar.
caleb1997 wrote:

Exactly the same as (2), but here I recommend an appvar.
caleb1997 wrote:
There's a game that I especially like to play on Kongregate. Lately, I have been trying to port it to my Graphing Calculator . The problems I have, though, are these:

Um... if you want to use Hybrid basic, you're not going to be using the graphscreen. I suggest you read through the wiki.

For the record, though, no: xLIBC can only shift the screen horizontally, not vertically. You'll probably want to adapt the game to move horizontally, prompting the user to turn their calc sideways to play-- since shifting it vertically manually is going to take a huge toll on speed and responsiveness (you'll have to shift every element on the screen, including the background pic).

Quote:

I don't think you actually thought about how you could answer these questions before asking them; the second one in particular is really trivial with custom lists. If you're truly stumped, I'd rather you showed what you've tried so we can try to fix it instead of just telling you what to do.
Edit: PT_, I really don't see why he should be using an Appvar for either of these. Custom lists can be archived, can be read quickly and easily, and are no more tamper-proof than appvars. 'Quickly' is also especially important here: you don't want to waste valuable time reading the positions of the powerups in a speed-critical section of the game.
Also, the powerups should be randomly generated, so how would you put a random list into an appvar?

One more thing- I'd like to stress that you don't want to use the graphscreen for this, especially if you want to do it using the hybrid libraries. xLIBC is so fast that it's really not worth it to bog it down by attempting to stick to the graphscreen.
Well, its quite a fun game, but pretty easy to beat. I don't think you will be able to get all of the moving parts in, unless you use the homescreen with hybrid Basic. As Wright said, custom lists are the best thing for highscores and storing progress..

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours