hey everybody It's Spud. Today I made a little game to test out Boa Engine (my 2D game engine written in pygame). little did I know It would be so fun and addicting. I present you, "Jump!". This game is pretty much what it sounds. It consists of a scrolling floor and you have to jump over the gaps. For those of you interested you can click HERE to download. The game is written in pygame but is compiled/Frozen with cx_freeze. If you want the source just pm me.

!!!Update 0.1!!!

Here's some screen shots:

!!!UPDATE!!!0.2
Added fps limit!

!!!UPDATE 0.3!!!
Added music!
Demo Video:

!!!UPDATE 0.4!!!

Added count down to start of game

Added speed adjustment:

Added platform heights

!!!Update 0.5!!!
Added player animations

New demo Video:

Thanks!

ps. Please give feed back
One word : pretty Smile
One sentence : SO F***ING FAST ASDFASDF

Seriously, it's unplayable Razz or maybe I didn't play enough Super Hexagon.
Unfortunately upon release I forgot to put an fps cap on it. My computer is a laptop so it must play slower.
the screenshot and video look great, but I cannot download it right now (mediafire is blocked). Ill have to get this soon.

What are your estimated specs to run this game?
Love the music Very Happy

By the way, you should add delay in milliseconds instead of relying on clock cycles - if that's actually what you're doing.
I just use the built in fps limiter in pygame. Do you think there's anything else I should add to the game? I was maybe thinking a scoreboard for you scores.
You know I've never had an honest and unbiased review of any of my games, and since I will be selling this eventually ($2.00 MAX) I would love to have one. Is anyone game for writing one?
I'd love to try this out, but I have a problem: I'm on a Mac.
If you'd be willing to release this on Mac, I'd be all over it. When the time is available, I will try to remember to write an unbiased review of Jump!.
I would love to compile it for mac but I don't have one. If you install pygame, and cx_freexe you can compile it yourself. I can even provide the setup file for you.

edit: Heres a link to the cxfreeze site cx_freeze
Wow! It moves way to fast for me.
its supposed to move fast. Otherwise its not that hard. I've found the the trick is to make sure you get that first jump. If you do that and get the rhythm then it gets to be pretty easy. The game only goes up to 500 so it can be surprisingly easy to beat the whole game after a few tries.
I wanted to ask earlier but forgot to; what did you use to make that music? it is very Super-Hexagon-like, which is, of course, amazing.
I actually got a royalty free piece of music from a person named teknoaxe. He makes royalty free 8bit/chiptune music. I use a lot of his music for my games.
oh, well poo, then. anyways, where are we reviewing it? Ill be downloading it today and giving it a whir.

also, to change the game, how about adding in variable height for the blocks?
Just write a review on this forum post
allright, I played it. review time.

Jump! is a small platformer game in which the only objective is to get as far as you can, jumping across platforms of small blocks. as far as games go, it isn't much. However, for a short game you play in between classes or on the bus, this is perfect.

Mechanics:
The gameplay isn't meant to be extensive, so the small amount of mechanics in the game are negligible.

Interactivity:
Jump! does have a few quirks I would like to point out.
1) it should be able to start with a mouse key, as opposed to the mouse. this helps the user get that first jump in easier. another option would be a countdown to game beginning.
2) you cannot exit the game with the exit button. in this case, it *may* be from using WinXP, but still.
as for Audio/Visual part of interactivity, the game meets the needs with simple graphics and great 8-bit audio that didn't get boring after repeated plays, though a little more variety would have been nice.

Overall:
I recommend Jump! as a game to play for short spurts, much like Armagetron Advanced or Super-Hexagon, and I am eager to see what comes to the game after being a beta.
Thank Luxen I will take this into account. Great review by the way. I would also like to add that anyone who reviews the game will get a free copy after beta. This also includes future updates and DLC. I would love to see more reviews but please be HONEST. I prefer constructive criticism not brutality. Thanks!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours