Qwerty.55 wrote:
swivelgames wrote:

Unless I'm coming out with a calculator shell and naming it DoorsCS...

Have I mentioned my latest project, MechanicallyOperatedSlabOfWoodOnHingesCS? Razz
That's a bit longer than eight characters...
He can shortcut it: MOSOWHCS, exactly 8 chars!
swivelgames wrote:
IMHO, if there isn't a lawsuit, everybody can shove-it. Pardon me, but I'm so tired of people thinking their opinion matters where it doesn't. It's a name for christ's sake. They'll get over it. ^^,

Unless I'm coming out with a calculator shell and naming it DoorsCS, or coming out with the next bestselling PC game and naming it Half-Life, I'm sure we're all fine here. We're not talking about conflicting names in the same field. What we are talking about is a simple non-profit game developed by a hobbyist. Whoever wants to complain may, but I would just tell them to shut the hell up and continue on your course XD

Just my opinion Smile
(Bold mine).
I think I'll use your own quote against you:
ibid wrote:
Pardon me, but I'm so tired of people thinking their opinion matters where it doesn't.
Hence the smiley Very Happy

I was wondering if someone was going to point that out. Touché, worthy adversary. Laughing
aeTIos wrote:
He can shortcut it: MOSOWHCS, exactly 8 chars!
Nope. It would be MOSOWOHCS.
If we remove the articles, determiners, and quantifiers it would be MOSWHCS Very Happy

7 characters FTW! Very Happy
too bad, you cant pronounce that fast.
aeTIos wrote:
too bad, you cant pronounce that fast.
moss-whics
You are our savior! lol
swivelgames wrote:
IMHO, if there isn't a lawsuit, everybody can shove-it. Pardon me, but I'm so tired of people thinking their opinion matters where it doesn't. It's a name for christ's sake. They'll get over it. ^^,
If you'll forgive me, the problem people have is not name infringement. If name infringement was a problem, hundreds of high-profile calculator programming projects would immediately be in violation (which they are, but no one seems to worry much), not to mention all the annoying little BASIC programs taking big names. The problem everyone has is that it's false advertising. N00bs download BASIC Mario programs, get the files to have twice as many downloads per week as Doors CS, and get something that took some idiot half an hour of work to write and bears no resemblance to Mario whatsoever; it's just single pixels moving around the screen. People who name projects after big-name programs and games but don't live up to the promises of the name insult the entire community by stealing focus from programs that took much more effort and into which much more care was put, they disappoint users who try them expecting something different and thus hurt the reputation of the entire community, and they devalue themselves.

(Lest people start getting all offended and shouty, this is a general observation, not addressed at SirCmpwn at all, and I'll be very cross if anyone takes it that way).
The name is not important, it is what is actually behind it. If this is an accurate representation of Half Life 2, then why shouldn't it be named as such? It will have a powerful physics engine like the original, the same story as the original, the same characters, etc. The name should describe what it is. If the gameplay is good, they get over the name. I don't plan on making a crappy TI-Basic clone of Half Life 2 that gets twice as many downloads per week as Doors CS.
I do maintain my same position, but I most certainly see your position, Kerm, and I do agree with yours wholeheartedly. I know exactly what you're talking about. I was more-so pointing towards the critics who can never be satisfied when presented with countless revisions of a remake/port that truly does justice to the name.

Can't wait for HL2:OC, SirCmpwn, if you're still planning on making it. Hope to see some good rich content in it! Knowing your capabilities, I'm not too worried about it Razz
Thanks swivelgames! Don't worry, the physics engine will be getting a complete overhaul and I expect it to be faster with a plethora of very cool new features.
swivelgames wrote:
I do maintain my same position, but I most certainly see your position, Kerm, and I do agree with yours wholeheartedly. I know exactly what you're talking about. I was more-so pointing towards the critics who can never be satisfied when presented with countless revisions of a remake/port that truly does justice to the name.
Swivelgames, and I in turn see what you're saying, but I think the mark of a severe but fair critic is that he or she will ruthlessly attack something not deserving of praise or status or a name or whatever, and will gracefully acquiesce to and praise something that deserves it, and I like to think that the vast majority of our Cemetechians (nikky and Kllrnohj perhaps excluded, as they'd like Wink) fall into that latter category.
Does anyone have some game related discussion to contribute, as opposed to the name? The "OC" (on-calc) portion of the name was added in relation to these same questions, and I'm not going to change it further.
SirCmpwn wrote:
Does anyone have some game related discussion to contribute, as opposed to the name? The "OC" (on-calc) portion of the name was added in relation to these same questions, and I'm not going to change it further.
I'd tend to think that there won't be too many questions until you start working on this and have some gameplay to show or suggestions / feedback to request. Smile I think you've covered your plans for the project fairly thoroughly thus far.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours