KermMartian wrote:
Sim City 2004, which had 8x8 sprites, not Civilization Simulator. Smile I'm pretty sure I tried Line()s for Sim City and found the program to be bigger and slower.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/320/32049.html

Doyou think i shoul d make bigger sprites
Are you using 8x8 at the moment? If so, I think that's fine; it's a good balance between detail and being able to fit enough stuff on the screen at once.
KermMartian wrote:
Are you using 8x8 at the moment? If so, I think that's fine; it's a good balance between detail and being able to fit enough stuff on the screen at once.

I am using 10*10 and 5*5 sprites. I think that it is a good combination.
This looks nice. I am also pretty curious how long does the map take to render. I unfortunately never tried pxl-on/line sprites nor text ones, but I heard that they can render relatively fast for BASIC sometimes. Besides that there are dual-layer sprites, which I tried a bit, but they're larger (6x8). Good luck on the project. Smile
basicman wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I am using 10*10 and 5*5 sprites. I think that it is a good combination.
Agreed, I'd stick with that. Are you still working on this project, or did you abandon it for now as per the thoughts you were posting in one of your other threads? What progress if you're still working on it?
*bump* Since you seem to be only editing your first post rather than posting new posts with updates as well (we generally prefer at least only a new post, or both a new post and a first-post edit), I'll bump and ask how that map could possibly be re-rendered in its entirely in "much less than a second". Smile
Out of curiosity, how are you updating the first post? I notice that you update it when you have an update, but I can never find the "newest" part of that post :/ If I could make a suggestion: post the update, and then edit your first post with something like "2/6/2011 - I did this and this. As well as this and that".

Pre-Edit: Ninja'd.
Glad you agree with me, Tanner. Smile And yes, to reiterate, that would make it much easier for myself and the rest of us to keep on top of your progress on your game.
KermMartian wrote:
Glad you agree with me, Tanner. Smile And yes, to reiterate, that would make it much easier for myself and the rest of us to keep on top of your progress on your game.

Thank you for your input. I have never been involved in an online community so this is new to me. I was not really sure how to keep up with this project. Are you allowed one post per day to be considered as not double posting on my project? I have also been having some trouble with pics. I do not have a good host and tiny pic kicked me out I guess so I have been trying to fix that. I am sorry for being such an inconvenience.

I will post my replies to you here:
I am still working on this project. I have only been able to work on this project for about 3 hrs. this week, but I was able to draw the screen in the program which made it change a little but, I was able to make two screens with less than the amount the pic would use, but the game will have to load only one time during the game at the start, and still uses 2 pics. I am going with two screens, movable troops for battle, and the object will be to conquer the attacking or defending civilization. I am planning on downsizing my scrolling menus, so this will make it have one scrolling menu to choose your item to place. I did not have a set plan for this game and it has been hard to decide between the options that I could use in the game. About the the onscreen recall. The screen never does more than a quick flash and it is finished. It never really disappears completely. So, I assume that it takes less than a second to perform the actions
Recall Pic
Store Pic
when the screen already exists.
These are the only actions performed to redraw screen with new item and the Pic is there already. So, how long do you think that would take?
No, double posting is when you post, and you post again in the same topic when no one has replied to your previous post. Double posts are allowed after 18-24 hours.
I agree with Tanner and Kerm. When a lot of people are busy, they will only check the first few most recent active topics sometimes, but if it happens to be a busy day on the forums where many posts are done in several topics, your topic get lost at the bottom of the pile.
Basicman, ohhh, recall the picture and one sprite, that makes much more sense. What about when you have to generate the full screen of sprites, though? And yes, you're allowed to post as many replies as you want as fast as you want to other people's posts, there's just a general etiquette limit of 18-24 hours in between double-posts. If it's less than that, you should generally edit your (last) post in the topic rather than "bumping" it by double-posting. The exception is a really ground-breaking, show-stopping bit of progress on something.
KermMartian wrote:
What about when you have to generate the full screen of sprites, though?

The full screen of sprites are located on two pics, one for each screen, and if you are on the idle screen, battle screen or on the item placement screen it will detect it and tell you what it is and/or it will not let you place on top of it. If I want to to move it, the item is erased and it draws it somewhere else. All of it works in a flash except the two screens in the beginning which have to load. They draw pretty quick and are under 770. I could make them draw twice as fast with another 100 or so bytes. It will never draw in a flash, but it will give you an idea of how fast I could move an object across the screen in my games to come. I saved two pics by doing this and the user does not have to keep the pics on hand to play again. You do have to save them to continue the game though.
I think that you should have a way to redraw those pictures to continue the game, because BASIC on a calculator can be a very unfriendly environment for data saved in strings, pictures, and lists L1-L6. Specifically, since there are only ten Pic variables, the odds are quite good that another program will rampage over your saved data, so I think you should add a way to recover from that without forcing the user to restart their game.
KermMartian wrote:
I think that you should have a way to redraw those pictures to continue the game....

I could do that pretty easily, and that is a good idea. It is already there I just have to do it. Thank you. I will do that.
basicman wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I think that you should have a way to redraw those pictures to continue the game....

I could do that pretty easily, and that is a good idea. It is already there I just have to do it. Thank you. I will do that.
My pleasure. Smile Good luck with it.
KermMartian wrote:
I think that you should have a way to redraw those pictures to continue the game, because BASIC on a calculator can be a very unfriendly environment for data saved in strings, pictures, and lists L1-L6. Specifically, since there are only ten Pic variables, the odds are quite good that another program will rampage over your saved data, so I think you should add a way to recover from that without forcing the user to restart their game.

Well, I wanted you to know that I found a way to recover the data with about 300 extra bytes. So, this is now a fixed problem. The screen redraws itself and places all characters back to screen with names and locations. Thanks again for telling me that I should do this. All the changes are making this take longer than I wanted to on this but, I think it will be a good game when I finish and worth the changes and add ons.
That's great to hear, basicman, thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear that you're taking the thorough route with this game.
Umm, why do you always edit the first post in this topic instead of creating a new post? I can't seem to figure out what you edited in the first post.
souvik1997 wrote:
Umm, why do you always edit the first post in this topic instead of creating a new post? I can't seem to figure out what you edited in the first post.

That's why I named it the way I did. Smile Sorry it did not work for you.Sad I hoped it would give some guidance through all of my constantly scrammbled thoughts. I have not changed any topic by the way, the topic is always about the game that I intend to release with awesome graphics. Just wait until you see my future topics, you might want to play all of them. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours