“THE RISE OF A NEW KING"

Update:
I added some pics to this post so you can view the new screen images, and I added labels to all of them. Program is at 7k for download. It uses 12k at the moment. With 2Pics that can be deleted. So, it will need 10k right now to continue it later. Still somewhat incomplete, and I am still working on making it smaller as well. I do not know how much smaller I can make it or it is able to be made, but I will do my best.

A new game that I am working on that you can buy and place buildings, artillary, and troops. It is all in basic. No asm is needed. No shell is needed. No libraries needed. Really good graphics.

Blank screen on the left.

Screen on the left with items.

Players soldiers crossing into enemy terittory.

This is a side to side srolling menu that you will use to buy items to place.

This is the cursor/battle screen, and when the cursor is on an item it will either give you a name and a prompt or it will just give you the name of the item. The next screen is a menu screen that asks if you want to move or attack.

Placeable items

Building list:
dwelling
barricks
fortress
water tower
statue
market

Artillary:
cannon
catapult

Troops:
spearman
Archer
Musketman

Worker:
Gold Miner

Details of War
Range of motion is:
Diagonal Up Diagonal
Left Troop Right
Diagonal Down Diagonal

Spearman – The spearmen will be able to attack when face to face with the enemy
Archer – The Archer will be able to attack up to 2 spaces away
Musket man – The musket men will be able to attack up to 3 spaces away
Catapult –The catapult is a stationary item that can defend your fortress by attacking up to 7 spaces away. A catapult will only fire once.
Cannon – The cannon is a stationary item that can defend your fortress by attacking up to 8 spaces away. Cannon will only fire once.

:
“Things to do” Add:
Enemy Battle functions
Food – From markets
Gold – You can add workers to dig for gold in your kingdom.
Looks very nice, keep up the good work! What's the speed like, though? I'd imagine that map rendering takes a very long time.
Actually you would be amazed at the speed. It is fast. I use a 84 +. The cursor moves as fast you would want a good sprite to go.
basicman wrote:
Actually you would be amazed at the speed. It is fast. I use a 84 +. The cursor moves as fast you would want a good sprite to go.
The cursor movement, sure, but what about rendering?
I like your sprites, are they text sprites?
All it takes is a push of a button to immediatly draw a new screen. Nothing takes a long time to produce.
They are not text sprites.
How did you draw the sprites?
souvik1997 wrote:
Probably the same way I did in Sim City 2004. I figure out which sprite indices (eg, 2, 3, and 7) require each pixel offset (ie, (+2,+3)) and turn that into one big program, for example:

Code:
:If max(Ans={2,3,7
:Pxl-On(A+3,B+2
:If max(Ans={1,4,7
:Pxl-On(A+3,B+3
:...etc...
Quote:
Probably the same way I did in Sim City 2004. I figure out which sprite indices (eg, 2, 3, and 7) require each pixel offset (ie, (+2,+3)) and turn that into one big program, for example:

I took a look at you game just now. I have not played it yet. It looks good. I only saw one screen shot. It does not seem like it has as many detailed screens and menus as I have. I have included an actual battle screen with strategy fighting, and import, export. How much memory adds to your program when it is running? I just thought of a way to downsize mine a lot. It is going to take at least a few more weeks for me to get everything ready?

I made some programs that way but, not this one. I got tired of all the input. I draw the sprite, and then I produce a list using a program. Then I use the lists in my games. This game uses two pics, one that stays the same and one that saves your progress. I use
a method similar to this to detect
Which list
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12
Where is it
100 101 102 103
200 201 202 203
300 301 302 303
302->B
which list ->C
B ->LLIST(C)
If on B and LList(C) =1:then can not place
up 100
down 100
right 1
left 1
I can move about 15 smalll list within one second, but sometimes it shows errors when you push the lists too fast. But the errors can be fixed by a restart. My son tried it and said it was too slow so I had to unoptimize and move the lists individually. It now moves a lot faster and have not had errors. So I might take out the error fix.
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:

Code:
:If max(Ans={2,3,7
:Pxl-On(A+3,B+2
:If max(Ans={1,4,7
:Pxl-On(A+3,B+3
:...etc...

Good lord, you used Pxl-On instead of Line commands?
Sim City 2004, which had 8x8 sprites, not Civilization Simulator. Smile I'm pretty sure I tried Line()s for Sim City and found the program to be bigger and slower.

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/320/32049.html
This looks pretty cool, although I must say I'm kind of confused about the battling system. The select General versus General kind of seems awkward to me. Also will you build level sets, or an editor to make campaigns? Very Happy
basicman wrote:
I believe that it is about 85% finished.
Still in early stage of development

?
KermMartian wrote:
Sim City 2004, which had 8x8 sprites, not Civilization Simulator. Smile I'm pretty sure I tried Line()s for Sim City and found the program to be bigger and slower.

Curious. I've always found Line() to be preferable to single points at a time, but maybe the Pxl commands are inherently faster than the graph-coordinate commands?
Quote:
This looks pretty cool, although I must say I'm kind of confused about the battling system. The select General versus General kind of seems awkward to me. Also will you build level sets, or an editor to make campaigns?

Yes there are campaigns. It is listed on the first menu as alpha:war.
From there you go to a menu which allows you to choose from five different civilizations. It shows you their military rank. Your rank is on a stats menu along with other things. The rank is not from 1st to last, it is from 1 to 10. Then if you still wish to campaign, you can.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Curious. I've always found Line() to be preferable to single points at a time, but maybe the Pxl commands are inherently faster than the graph-coordinate commands?

Yes, it is faster to program sometimes using lines, but I think Kerm is right. I had the same experience.
It's faster to use Line()s than Pt-On/Off commands, but it's (almost) always faster to use Pxl-On/Off/Change commands for a few sequential pixels, and Pxl-* are certainly significantly faster than Pt-*.
KermMartian wrote:
It's faster to use Line()s than Pt-On/Off commands, but it's (almost) always faster to use Pxl-On/Off/Change commands for a few sequential pixels, and Pxl-* are certainly significantly faster than Pt-*.

I've never understood why Line() is inherently faster than the pton/off commands. Would someone please explain to me?
0rac343 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I've never understood why Line() is inherently faster than the pton/off commands. Would someone please explain to me?

because the iteration over the set of points to be drawn is done in Assembly and not in Basic.
Exactly this. Pt-* is slower than Pxl-* because the TI-OS needs to do work to translate coordinates in the coordinate plane into pixel values. For the Line() command, it needs to translate the start and end coordinates, but it can then loop between those two pairs of coordinates in ASM very fast.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours