I am going to create a new rpg similar to zelda called Legend Of Daarfore. In the game i am thinking about making the game have three parts. Before i begin it though i have to get somesort of engine complete. One feature that i plan on implementing is a link battle system where you can battle other peoples characters which would be pretty awsome on gcn. I currently have no idea what the story is going to be or anything i just know the title.
my plotline:

you live on a planet with 2 continents > all is well > they get a mean leader dude > he invades joo guys > You are part of a resistance group > over the time of the game the rest of the group gets pwnt > you do the last few levels alone, make it menu based most things, turn based GUI battle system =P
The battle system and the stats screen are going to be the only menu like things everything else is going to be straight homescreen graphics that will change to graphscreen graphics.
cool cool, will the fighting be menu based?? I hope not.
It probably will be in the early stages and then i will try to evolve it into something more advanced.

I also have a question. I created a typeout routine where it prints every letter of a string at a time, and i was wondering if anyone thinks it would get old seeing the text typed out like that every time someone says something.
Yes, but only if you make it too slow. As long as it goes about 4-5 characters per second or more, you should be ok.
right now it puts a 128 character string in about two seconds. i will post a screen shot later so you guys can judge it better.
lafferjm wrote:
right now it puts a 128 character string in about two seconds. i will post a screen shot later so you guys can judge it better.
That sounds perfect to me. Few people can read faster than that, so it shouldn't be an annoyance.
I am thinking about using xlib to make my game. If i asked people to beta test would they be against trying it out since it uses xlib.
I myself don't have an xlib issue, though I know some people here do. As long as it is used for what it is meant for, all is good.
If you wanted a good text displaying routine, I have one, that has variable speed built in. If you want, I could post the code...
Sure you can post some code up. Just wondering though how did you get it to change speed because mine just flys across the screen and i couldnt even think of something to delay it.
In order to keep myself on task and get this project done on time i am going to be coming up with tasks that i want/am going to have done by the end of the week.

By March 23:

1.Story completed
2.Graphics done
3.Idea of how i am going to program it
4.Begining Menu
Due to some pretty obvious reasons i am going to have to put off the above list until tommorow.
Well there is a change of plans. I was planning on doing it with a scrolling map but when my map got over 6000 bites i decided to have to change that. So now i have to go back and create my map.
Well i have made another change of plans. Instead of using xlib i am going to use pure basic. There are several reasons for me doing this. Those reasons include but are not limited to:

1. I want to submit it so that i may attempt to upgrade from a BE apprentice to a full member.
2. I feel if i do not use xlib i will have more people download the game and actually trying it.
3. It is hard to program it with xlib during math class since i have to constantly take out the manual to see what the commands are.
4. It takes to long for me to create the sprites with xlib.

I have already finished one of the routines that I am going to use for the game. It is going to take a matrix and store it into a string and then display the string as the map for that area which leads up to having ten parts to one section at a time. I am still debating on whether or not i want to try to do hit detection using strings or if i want to not delete the matrix and use it.
Here is the source for my matrix to map program

Code:

:" →Str1
:dim([A]
:Ans(1→A
:Ans(2→B
:For(C,1,A
:For(D,B,1,-1
:If [A](C,D)=1
:"X"+Str1→Str1
:If [A](C,D)=0
:" "+Str1→Str1
:End

I decided that i am only going to use it to get the strings that are going to be pasted into the program. Here are two sample programs that i created so that i could try to get hit detection completed:

prgm A

Code:

:ClrHome
:Output(1,1,Str1
:2→A
:2→B
:0→T
:Output(A,B,"θ
:Repeat K=45
:getKey→K
:If max(K={24,25,26,34
:Then
:prgmB
:Output(A,B,"
:A+(K=34)(T=0)-(K=25)(T=0→A
:B+(K=26)(T=0)-(K=24)(T=0→B
:Output(A,B,"θ
:0→T

prgm B

Code:

:If max(K={24,25,26,34
:Then
:A(-K=25)+(K=34→C
:B-(K=24)+(K=26→D
:If sub(Str1,C*16-16+D,1)="X
:1→T

In program B i plan on making C*16-16+D as a line by itself and storing it to a variable to save space since i am going to use it so much. When i get home i will take screen shots so that you can see them in action.
I am unable to provide screen shots today because i have to figure out how to configure calc capture to work with tilem. I do plan on having screen shots up by sunday afternoon or monday morning at the latest. But this weekend since i will be on the fbla trip i will not have access to a computer, but i will have access to my calculator so i will be able to get a lot of work on it done.
This project was dead but i now reviving it. After messing with xlib for the last week i am going to actually create this game.
Uber mutiposting there lafferjm, wow, even for your own project that is a lot. But I hope you get this done.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours