I wasn't sure if you got my msg in SAX but LAT1OS, when you forfeit, it doesn't bring you to the save menu. Just sayin
Hayleia wrote:
For the sprites, you can use the ones you can find when looking at your party in Emerald. I think they are small enough to fit in the screen area you reserved for them.

That doesn't solve the problem of your Pokemon in battle (the one that is not facing you) but it solves the problem of the opponent Pokemon and can also be useful everytime you have to choose a Pokemon.

That's a good idea, but my main concern is that if I use the party sprites for the front sprites, it'll be stylistically inconsistent with how it looks in the original game. I think that what I'll do is generate grayscale sprites from the front sprites and party sprites, then if the party sprites look a lot better than the front sprites, I'll selectively replace them.

Yackback wrote:
I beta-tested it on DCS 7 it didn't work so i got mirageos and it only works on mirageos. In dcs7 it crashes when you start a battle.

On a side note, LAT10S, you shouldn't apply something to change contrast like you sad in the SAX-make the actual text always in black or white on a black background not white on a light gray background.

Hm, I guess this means that the game won't be compatible with DCS until I port it. I did a little debugging, and it seems like the problem occurs in the DCS implementation of the SwapRAM routine. My guess is that forcing the routine to swap 8000 bytes of RAM causes it to somehow go into an infinite loop.

I'm going to keep the white on gray text, because that looks closer to the graphics of the original Emerald game. Also, there are some technical hurdles involving buffer drawing that makes it inconvenient to do black on gray text. The game will temporarily change the contrast of your calculator, but when you exit out of the program the contrast will be restored to what it originally was.

DJ_O wrote:
Ah ok thanks for the clarification about the presence of those 83p files. As for the 82 Stats, basically, the 83 was discontinued in 2000, but then in 2004, TI re-released it in France under the new 82 Stats name then later in its French incarnation as the 82 Stats.Fr. Most France models are getting renamed since then, such as the 84+SE now being the TI-83 Plus.Fr USB and the TI-83 Plus being the TI-82 Plus and there are rumors about the color 84+ being called TI-83 CE in France in 2015.

Yackback wrote:
On a side note, LAT10S, you shouldn't apply something to change contrast like you sad in the SAX-make the actual text always in black or white on a black background not white on a light gray background.
If you mean that the game uses its own contrast settings, you could simply do like in Reuben Quest series and let the user choose his default contrast setting at the start of the game or just use the currently set calculator contrast as default value. That way, if there is any animation involving contrast, the default contrast will always return to the user settings.

That's interesting; so it looks like the French version of TI calculators are all one number lower than their US counterparts. It's kind of confusing though, why would TI decide to use a naming scheme like that?

Yackback wrote:
I wasn't sure if you got my msg in SAX but LAT1OS, when you forfeit, it doesn't bring you to the save menu. Just sayin

I see, I'll change it so that you return to the main menu after forfeiting, if that's more helpful.
LAT10S wrote:
JoeYoung wrote:
Well this is fantastic, and way waaaaay better than my pokemon battler XD

I notice you're using faint, scaled-down versions of the Emerald sprites. Would they look better if they were re-drawn?

Feel free to use any of my spritework if it helps

Oh, I wouldn't say that, haha. I think the fact that your Stadium program is coded entirely in TI-BASIC is an impressive feat. It's probably more of a challenge than the straightforward, assembly approach.

You are correct, the sprites were scaled down from the original Emerald sprites, using a python script. I don't think it would be a good use of time to draw all 108 front and back sprites by hand, but I'll probably redraw the sprites that were poorly rendered (like the Golem in the screenshot gif).

DJ_O wrote:
Actually, it appears you might have unintentionally created a 83 version, because the zip file has two 83p files. 83p = 83 and 8xp = 83+/84+/84+SE.

As for the TI-82 Stats it's identical to the 83 and the 76.Fr ASM architecture is supposedly the same, but the TI-OS has fewer BASIC commands and features.

Unfortunately, I don't have a TI-83 version yet. Those two 83p files contain the sprite data for the pokemon (POKEPICB holds the back sprites, POKEPICF holds the front sprites). It doesn't really matter whether its an 83p or 8xp file, anyway, since it just contains blobs of binary data.

That's interesting, I never knew about that. I guess you learn something new every day, right? Smile

I amazed you knew of my project! And you're right. I drew 3 frames of each of the first 151 pokemon, and by the end of it I was just pooped out too much to actually work on the game.

Writing it in basic wasn't meant to be a challenge, even though it was. I just couldn't be arsed to learn assembly at the time.
LAT1OS, through testing I figured out Metronome does nothing, making Clefable not be able to attack.

LAT10S wrote:
I see, I'll change it so that you return to the main menu after forfeiting, if that's more helpful.

No, because then it would still quit. When I won 3 matches and then forfeit, then it quit my game without going to the highscore table when I should've been on it. That's the problem, not that it quits the entire game.
JoeYoung wrote:
I amazed you knew of my project! And you're right. I drew 3 frames of each of the first 151 pokemon, and by the end of it I was just pooped out too much to actually work on the game.

Writing it in basic wasn't meant to be a challenge, even though it was. I just couldn't be arsed to learn assembly at the time.

Wow, you drew all of the kanto pokemon yourself? That must have taken a lot of effort, no wonder why your sprites look so good. Trying to draw decent grayscale sprites without a mouse was too frustrating for me, I gave up after the first 3 pokemon, haha. I'd much rather automate the process, anyway.

Yeah, basic is so much more fun to program / debug with than assembly. I think the only downside is all of the obfuscated tricks that are needed to make up for the speed.

Yackback wrote:
LAT1OS, through testing I figured out Metronome does nothing, making Clefable not be able to attack.

LAT10S wrote:

No, because then it would still quit. When I won 3 matches and then forfeit, then it quit my game without going to the highscore table when I should've been on it. That's the problem, not that it quits the entire game.

I know, Metronome hasn't been implemented yet, since its only used by one pokemon. In fact, here's a list of moves that are not implemented: spikes, jump kick, aromatherapy, sky attack, smellingsalt, belly drum, grudge, memento, nightmare, pain split, pursuit, skill swap, substitute, torment, petal dance + thrash.

Oh, I see, so you want the forfeit option to let you set a new record, after winning some number of battles. Right, I think I'll change it so that if you voluntarily forfeit a match, it'll take you to the highscore screen, but if you press 'Quit' in the middle of a match, it'll exit the game.
I'd be happy to help debug why Doors CS isn't happy with the current version if you'd like, since needless to say I have a quite vested interest in this running properly in Doors CS. Also, keep up the great work.
I've been meaning to post in on this and check this out. Sadly, I've not had the time to do so, but I plan to throw this at my 84+ soon. The graphics are simply astounding. I was blown away the instant I saw them. This has also rejuvenated my want to work on Pokemon Purple in ways you can't fathom, I just need to knock out a few of the other projects I've taken up that shouldn't (in theory) take long to fini-squirrel! >.> <.<

Keep up the fantastic work!
Update (6/27/14):
* POKEFACT now works with the DCS7 shell
* Forfeiting from a battle takes you to the highscore menu, if you beat a previous record
* Miscellaneous fixes + optimizations

More updates (6/28/14):
* Data compression - PKMNDATA is a few hundred bytes smaller now
* Fixed some problems with displaying pokemon nature + gender

More updates (6/29/14):
* AI is now scaled - the higher round number you are, the stronger the AI will be.
* Fixed problems with Curse crashing program.

More updates (7/7/14):
* New moves implemented - High Jump Kick, Aromatherapy, Smellingsalt, Spikes, Skill Swap, Pain Split, Belly Drum.

More updates (7/14/14):
* New moves implemented - Metronome, Grudge, Memento, Nightmare, Sky Attack, Torment, Petal Dance / Thrash (only two unimplemented moves left!)
* Fixed misc bugs

More updates (7/19/14):
* New moves implemented - Pursuit, Substitute (all moves should work now)
* Fixed bug with switching out having a lower move priority

KermMartian wrote:
I'd be happy to help debug why Doors CS isn't happy with the current version if you'd like, since needless to say I have a quite vested interest in this running properly in Doors CS. Also, keep up the great work.

I did some debugging today, and I finally got the program to run on DCS7. The only problems were that calling the swapram and quittoshell function resulted in a crash. Otherwise, it seems that DCS has implemented all of the rest of the mirage routines that the program needs. Also, I don't know if this is the place to report this, but the mirage implementation of swapram has a bug - calling it with a BC parameter that is divisible by 200 sends the routine into an infinite loop.

tifreak8x wrote:
I've been meaning to post in on this and check this out. Sadly, I've not had the time to do so, but I plan to throw this at my 84+ soon. The graphics are simply astounding. I was blown away the instant I saw them. This has also rejuvenated my want to work on Pokemon Purple in ways you can't fathom, I just need to knock out a few of the other projects I've taken up that shouldn't (in theory) take long to fini-squirrel! >.> <.<

Keep up the fantastic work!

Thanks, I'm glad that you like the program Smile. I think that your work has been a major source of inspiration for making POKEFACT. I really admire the ambition of recreating an entire pokemon game on the graphing calculator.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours