edit] one sec...need to fix it.
edit 2] fixed...try it out!!!

Here's a simple problem.

Lena Asked Andy if he could correctly guess the ages of her three children whom he had never seen. She gave him three hints, one at a time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Hint
The product of their ages is 36 .
Result
He could not tell the ages.

2. Hint
The sum of their ages is the same as the address of the house next door.
Result
He looked, but still could not tell the ages.

3. Hint
The oldest child plays the piano.
Result
Ah...Now he knows!
Mind posting a spoiler in white text so you highlight to see it.
i'm still working on it. Lots of people say its really obvious when you fins the answer. I just can't think in different ways to solve this problem.
If somebody solves it before i do (i wouldn't be surprised) please make it white text as pseudo asked for and make sure you mark that you have a spoiler below.
Thx Very Happy
got it
How exactly did you get that.
google
Spoiler below.
Think about it: if the product is 36, let's assume the kids are less than 13 (not yet teens). 12*nothing. 11*nothing. 10*nothing. 9*4*1 or 9*2*2. 8*nothing. 7*nothing. 6*3*2. So, the possibilities:

9, 4, 1 (sum=14)
9, 2, 2 (sum=13)
6, 3, 2 (sum=11)

Since the eldest plays the piano, we can rule out a six-year-old. That leave 9, 4, 1 and 9, 2, 2. The final clue is the address. Clementop omitted the fact that they live in an odd-numbered house; by US street numbering rules, the house next door must also be odd. 9, 2, 2 is the only possibility.

Spoiler ends.
Kerm, I really don't see how your how you eliminated the one with the piano. All would have worked under the piano one.
Yeah, I played the piano at 6. Very Happy
I played the piano when I was 5...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours