http://blog.scifi.com/tech/archives/2007/04/20/shields_up_brit.html

It seems the brits are working on a way to create deflector shields for space ships, and the moon base. I laugh at people that think star trek is just for fiction... Razz
Cool stuff. The hardest part of that would be to keep the plasma contained and in its proper state within the field.
then there was the hyperdrive article.
elfprince13 wrote:
then there was the hyperdrive article.

That article currently has 666 diggs! Coincidence? I think not! Cool
I had read on Google Tech news that scientists were planning on having a hyperdrive ready space craft complete by 2012. That was probably back in October when I read that?

Kerm: They said that the fields that it emits will be able to sustain it, though I am thinking if they can create a powerful enough magnetic field, they may not need to deal with the plasma at all...

Who knows, I am looking forward to this at anyrate Smile

Edit:

It is up to 722 diggs now... o.O

There are some interesting articles: http://digg.com/space
So theoretically(and wishfully) speaking, we can have intergalactic travel in our lifetimes?

Coupled with that planet found recently that's believed to contain water and a breathable atmosphere (if I heard correctly), can you say Earth II?

But how do you travel thru alternate dimensions? Doesn't that require an insanely huge amount of fuel and energy?
As per what Einstein says, wormholes would require ungodly ammounts of energy. And 'Thru' is not the correct spelling of through. Its just a space saver on 'Drive-Thru' signs.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
As per what Einstein says, wormholes would require ungodly ammounts of energy. And 'Thru' is not the correct spelling of through. Its just a space saver on 'Drive-Thru' signs.

Thru=/=through
so sue me Laughing I probably earned a good lawsuit.

I'm curious to see HOW this all is being pulled off. I'd really like to see the day we fly out to Mars and beyond.
Thats the thing. Its not being pulled off yet. According to that, it is still purely theoretical with no experimental verification of any kind in regards to the underlying theories. They do have a proposed experiment, but due to a lack of money and technology, they have yet to construct the test machine.
tsk...it figures. All the good projects get their funds cut. Sad
Well then, I'd at least like to see their plans for these things.
KeithJohansen wrote:

Not cut. They never HAD the funds. Their plan is to rotate a disk really fast and apply a crap load of magnetic energy to it - or something like that. No one is even positive the technology/materials exist that could withstand/power it - according to the article, anyway. Hey, I got a crazy idea. How about YOU read the article? Then you'd know all this stuff too Rolling Eyes
Kllrnohj wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:

Not cut. They never HAD the funds. Their plan is to rotate a disk really fast and apply a crap load of magnetic energy to it - or something like that. No one is even positive the technology/materials exist that could withstand/power it - according to the article, anyway. Hey, I got a crazy idea. How about YOU read the article? Then you'd know all this stuff too Rolling Eyes

...and I actually thought you were warming up to me.... Laughing
Ah well, I guess that's life. I guess I must have missed something or misread because I recall reading the article....

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours