One day a guy calls tech support. This is a little like how it went...

Cust: hello?

TS: hello

Cust: yeah, my cup holder broke and my computer is still under warranty, so I would like to get it replaced.

TS: ummm cup holder?

Cust: yeah cup holder...

TS: ummm did you get it with a promotional offer?

Cust: no

TS: umm are you sure you got the right company?

Cust: yeah

TS: Ummm... i 'm sorry if I sound confused, because I am.

Cust: well it’s square, and it’s on the front of the computer, and it comes
out when you press a button...

At this point the Tech support guy had to put the guy on hold so he could
finish laughing...

The guy had broken his CD-ROM drive, thinking it was a cup holder.
Well-known tech support urban legend.
Quote:
"Technical support, this is Tech Guy, how may I help you?"

"My computer isn't working."

"Okay, could you be a little more specific?"

"It's not working, how much more specific do you need me to be?"

I sigh heavily. I get calls like this on a fairly regular basis, from people who don't know anything other than that their computer isn't working. I spend a significant amount of time with people on the phone just trying to figure out what they're talking about, not actually fixing whatever their problem is.

Luckily, I have established a couple of very fool-proof methods for this type of thing, and the one I chose to use this time is what I like to call the Dumbing Down Manuever. Basically, you make it sound like a worst-case scenario and that drives the client into a panic that forces them to be as specific as possible. Nothing strikes terror into a person's heart like the idea that their entire computer has suddenly become a glorified paper weight. Usually the conversation goes something like this:

Me: So when you press the power button on your computer nothing happens at all?
Client: No, some lights come on.
Me: So you can't see anything on the screen?
Client: No, I can see my icons.
Me: Well what did you mean by it's not working?
Client: When I start Solitaire the backs of the cards look different than what I usually have.

Problem solved, right? But this conversation was different.

"What do you mean, it's not working at all?" I ask drily, "When you press the power button nothing happens?"

But my verbose friend surprises me by saying "No, when I press the power button nothing happens."

Hmmm, interesting. He's ruined my plan because his computer actually isn't working.

"Okay," I said, "Let's start off simple and check the power cables on the computer. Can you reach behind the computer and make sure the power cable is properly connected?"

"Nope, sure can't."

Now I'm getting a little weirded out. Why can't he check that?

"Why can't you check that?"

"It's way back there, I can't reach it."

"Okay, well do you think you could look behind there then, make sure the cable is plugged in properly?"

"Nope, sure can't."

"Um . . . why not?"

"It's too dark."

I repress another heavy sigh. I can't believe I'm really having to walk this guy through Common Sense Skills For Life.

"Okay, can you turn on the lights in the room then?"

"Nope, sure can't."

It's all I can do not to tear my hair out.

"And, um . . . why exactly can't you do that?"

"Because I'm in the middle of a blackout and the power's out in my house."

Sometimes it's just not even worth picking up the telephone.
I have heard of all of these.

http://rinkworks.com/stupid/
Don't ruin the fun
-----
An Engineering Student, a Physics Student, and a Mathematics student were each
given $150 dollars and were told to use that money to find out exactly how tall
a particular hotel was. All three ran off, extremely keen on how to do this.
The physics student went out, purchased some stopwatches, a number of ball
bearings, a calculator, and some friends. He had them all time the drop of ball
bearings from the roof, and he then figured out the height from the time it took
for the bearings to accelerate from rest until they impacted with the sidewalk.

The math student waited until the sun was going down, then she took out her
protractor, plumb line, measuring tape, and scratch pad, measured the length of
the shadow, found the angle the buildings roof made from the ground, and used
trigonometry to figure out the height of the building.
Of course, with all that was involved in getting this experiment done, they
were up plenty late studying for other courses' exams. These two students bumped
into the engineering student the next day, which looked quite refreshed. When
asked what he did to find the height of the building he replied:
"Well, I walked up to the bell hop, gave him 10 bucks, asked him how tall the
hotel was, and went inside for happy hour!"

-----
Customer: I've been signed up with your service for over a week, and have not been able to connect even once because of busy signals. If I can't get any better service than that, I'm going to switch to another ISP.

Tech Support: Hmmm...that shouldn't be happening. We're nowhere near maxing out our dial-up lines. Are you sure you're dialing the right number?

Customer: I'm not stupid! I know my own phone number!

Tech Support: Now click the 'connect' button.

Customer: (modem dialing noises) Hold on, I have another call. (Pause) Hmmm. No one there. Ok, I'll try this again. (modem dialing noises) Hold on, I got another call.
3 guys go to get a hotel room. The manager tells them it will be $30. They each pay $10. After the men go to the room, the manager realized that he charged them $5 too much. He gives the bell boy $5 and tells him to give it to the men. The bellboy wanted to make a profit, so he kept $2 and gave 1$ to each man. Therefore, each man paid nine dollars. 9*3 = 27. +2 that the bellboy kept makes $29. What happened to the other dollar?
silly its +3 that they got back =D
Outside the High School in Monterayjackville there's a half man half pig crossing guard whom all the students call "Jack", why do they call him this?
I dunno.

-----
Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?
A: None. Bill Gates will just redefine Darkness(TM) as the new industry
standard.

I needed to make a phone call while at the library. When I asked for change at the counter, I was told that they didn't give change for the phone, only for the copy machine. So I asked for change for the copy machine and she gave it to me.

1st Person: "Do you know anything about this fax-machine"?
2nd Person: "A little. What's wrong?"
1st Person: "Well, I sent a fax, and the recipient called back to say all she received was a cover-sheet and a blank page. I tried it again, and the same thing happened."
2nd Person: How did you load the sheet?"
1st Person: "It's a pretty sensitive memo, and I didn't want anyone else to read it by accident, so I folded it so only the recipient would open it and read it."

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours