Back in January of 06, I made myself a AB Switch that takes one input and creates two outputs.

Short Story:
I went to radio shack shortly after x-mas and spent 5$ on a regular AB Switch. I got home and started modding it right away. Now, I can play a game, and record it at the same time. Or display it on two TV screens, like you see at E3 and other expos around the globe. I did the two TV thing for the first time today, Feb. 4th, 2007, cause I was expecting some friends to come over with their parents, none of my friends came. a. Anyways, now I have it setup and it looks friggen cool, if only I could send half the screen to one TV and the other half to the other for when I play two player I, nor my friend, can cheat by seeing where the other is. Wink
Also, the colour is a tad off on the WideScreen TV (on the side), but its just noticable, its a little green)

-Links-
Guide
Video
(Sorry I wasn't playing the game, but I kinda needed both hands, dad was busy setting up the TV for the big game and mom and sister were out driving.)
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
if only I could send half the screen to one TV and the other half to the other for when I play two player I, nor my friend, can cheat by seeing where the other is. Wink

Haha, just use the cardboard & duct tape combo like the rest of us Smile
foamy3 wrote:
Haha, just use the cardboard & duct tape combo like the rest of us Smile

hehheheh. Ingenious.

Took video of the thing in action, friends brother came over, get that uploaded ASAP.
my friend and I have a thing his brother made for invention convention that is an adjustable anti-screencheating partition. it rocks...
niice. Any pictures/videos? Cause so far foamy's idea sounds really good =D
Or you could just get a splitter and save more money - no reason to buy a switch if you aren't going to do any actual switching Rolling Eyes hell, this could even be as simple as taking the two RCA cables, cutting off one of the ends, and splicing it together
Shock lil late mate! XD

Besides, this was just as fun to make as the Altoids Gum Charger i made. I can charge my iPod at school without plugging it into the wall, excpet I get about 1.5 charges per 9v battery =/
Or you could get a rechargeable 9v and solve that problem Razz
Kllrnohj wrote:
Or you could just get a splitter and save more money - no reason to buy a switch if you aren't going to do any actual switching Rolling Eyes hell, this could even be as simple as taking the two RCA cables, cutting off one of the ends, and splicing it together
That definitely wouldn't work. You need a shielded RCA splitter.
KermMartian wrote:
That definitely wouldn't work. You need a shielded RCA splitter.

Sure it would work. The lack of shielding over the ~.5in solder joint isn't going to damage the signal a noticeable amount. Besides, it isn't that hard to pull back the shielding when you strip the wire, and then "reuse" that shielding to cover the newly connected joint
I'm not all technical, as you may of gathered over time. I just like moddifing stuff. I've had ideas for my own Computer OS. I'd modify Windows or Linux to work as I want.

Besides, with an A/B Switch thing, I can eliminate the feed to one TV with a press of a button, thus helping in those 'stratigeic moments.'

I am close to buying a four input switch, modding it so it has 4 outputs, then going farther, to where if the button is not pushed down, the feed goes through, if it is, feed is eliminated. One output cannot be switched (removed or just cut its contacts) and that will lead to the camcorder. But I just recently bought Valentines cards so I'm low on the dough (like 15$ of 19.99$). Expect a 'better quality' quide, as well as pictures, when I do this.

Oh, yeah, I still have yet to upload the video of it in action (oh, what excitement!! Rolling Eyes)

Kllrnohj wrote:
Or you could get a rechargeable 9v and solve that problem Razz

I could charge the battery with the charge so I could charge my iPod! XD.

But I get your point.
Don't waste your money on a switch if you are going to mod it to outputs. Just get a splitter - thats what they are designed to do (as well as being cheaper) You can still rig up a button to turn various ones on and off - thats not all that hard either

As for the computer OS, its going to be a bit hard to modify Windows seeing as you can't get the source Wink
To me, a splitter is more complicated. It may, or may not, be. To Be, or Not to be? That is the question.

Modding the Switch will be easier and faster. I also fear using a splitter cause I fear the signal will loose half its strength, my only expiernce with one was on a CD player and the volume was really low at 100%. In order to amplify I may have to use a power source, I say may because how does the modded AB switch do it with no external power?

I realize now how I can effectivly use a splitter. I will place the inputs from the old A/B switch next to the TV, I'll have to disect them from the case they are in know. I will buy switches to place next to the inputs to select that input to be feed through the new modified A/B switch. To know what input is active, I will have a OLED (smaller than original LED's) , but I will more than likely use LED's anyways, next to each switch. I will have 1 more switch than inputs so I can send the PS2 signal through, which will be plugged in to an input not next to the TV. I can create a small program in BASIC Stamp II to do this, I think.

But until than that, I'll be using my modded A/B switches. I'll expieriment with where I can place the inputs by creating a Moc up in Google Sketch-up, if I can gather patience with the program.

When I do make the splitter, I'll let it be a loose assembley of wires and circuitry. Once I finalize the idea (and place the program on a more permament bourd, current Stamp bourd is being used by my dad for his 1/12th scale model B-24. Helping him get the two turrets to move at the same time), I will house it all in neat little side fixture made in the same wood as the box. I really like my Box which houses my PS2, a 13" Colour (duhh) TV, and ~40 Games & DVD cases. Because it has a place for the PS2, the TV, game/DVD cases, and periphreals. Its really cool, because the periphreal compartment fits the PS3 just perfectly; I mean just, a few mm smaller, and it wouldn't fit. I made the box before I even knew of the PS3. Once I heard, I went and measured the compartment that holds the Ps2, too small. Good thing I placed a wire hole in the periphreal compartment while I was building it, other wise I'd be SOL. (it'd be herd to get a drill in that particular spot now.) I'm all set, I just need the PS3. =D
Ok, you have a lot of misinformation in there. One, a splitter is a stupidly simple device. Two, there will be no change in quality over the A/B switch, because guess what? You are MODDING THE A/B SWITCH INTO A SPLITTER. Your modded A/B switch and a splitter do the EXACT SAME THING - its just that a splitter is cheaper Smile And splitters don't cause the signal to loose half its strength. The reason it appeared to you that it did was because you were dividing the POWER by half, not the signal. The difference is that headphones are driven by the power the CD player is putting out, your A/V equipment (TV, stereo, etc...) is not.

Therefore buying a splitter (which already does what you want) will be cheaper, easier, and faster (because you don't have to mod it at all)

And you don't need to MAKE a splitter, you can buy one - it'll still be cheaper than the A/B switch
okay. Hm, yeah, I did mention that I wondered how the A/B switch did it without loosing the signal strength, I think, that might of been in the post that was deleted when the page refreshed (had to write it ALL over again Mad ), so I may have, and very likely have, left out some small details.

I'll look this all over, and really think about getting meself a splitter. Thanks mate!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours