KermMartian wrote:
As of today, Kerm Martian has 100,094 downloads and is ranked number 75 of authors of all time. In just over a year (one year, two weeks, and three days), Kerm has uploaded 199 files. The most popular, Tetris v2.2 for the TI-83+, has 7490 downloads, while UnreaL TOurnaMent for the TI-83+, in second place, has 7471 downloads. Check out the Program Archives and get some of these most popular programs!

This quote was from 2003
Since the website is Kerm's, was there a point where Kerm wasn't most downloaded? If so, how does that work?
KingInfinity wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
As of today, Kerm Martian has 100,094 downloads and is ranked number 75 of authors of all time. In just over a year (one year, two weeks, and three days), Kerm has uploaded 199 files. The most popular, Tetris v2.2 for the TI-83+, has 7490 downloads, while UnreaL TOurnaMent for the TI-83+, in second place, has 7471 downloads. Check out the Program Archives and get some of these most popular programs!

This quote was from 2003
Since the website is Kerm's, was there a point where Kerm wasn't most downloaded? If so, how does that work?

I think if you are more popular than Kerm download-wise, there is a system to instantly ban you and get you off his server (with a little animation of an old man wriggling his fist in the air)
All kidding aside, I haven't been here for a decade so I couldn't tell you if he's always been #1, but he has been for as long as I've been here, and I would not be surprised if he has always been because after all, he has been here the longest... That and he is surely one of the people (if not the person) who spent the most time in their lives on graphing calculators. I would assume when he started out back in the 90s, he was not prolific from the start and there must have been other people back then, but if his addiction (a pretty good thing to be addicted to when you compare it to things people usually get hooked on Wink) to calculators got to the point where he decided to start running his own website mostly dedicated to them, he was probably pretty good at that point in his life Smile
Yes, but on his own website, at one point, he was not #1? I don't believe that for one second. Especially because it's Kerm.
Kerm built a name for himself quite quick when he joined the community (back in around 2000-ish from memory).

I could be wrong, but I think you'll find that in that article he would have been referring to the stats on ticalc.org, which was arguably still the leading community site at the time.
Hmm... could be...
KermMartian wrote:

Check out the Program Archives and get some of these most popular programs!

Since this was written on the Cemetech news, I have reason to believe that it was these program archives. Does anyone know if Cemetech had program archives that early?

Edit:
KermMartian wrote:

In July of 2004 a complex forum system was added via InvisionFree, with a member and username system; it was integrated into the Geocities site from here. In the fall of the same year, a new archive system written in Perl was deployed with statistics.

Ok, so the archives were made in 2004, I think that solves the issue!
KingInfinity wrote:
Hmm... could be...
KermMartian wrote:

Check out the Program Archives and get some of these most popular programs!

Since this was written on the Cemetech news, I have reason to believe that it was these program archives. Does anyone know if Cemetech had program archives that early?

Edit:
KermMartian wrote:

In July of 2004 a complex forum system was added via InvisionFree, with a member and username system; it was integrated into the Geocities site from here. In the fall of the same year, a new archive system written in Perl was deployed with statistics.

Ok, so the archives were made in 2004, I think that solves the issue!

No. It says "a new archive system" meaning that there was one before, as for the downloads thing, I think he might refer to his Ticalc stats and linked people to the Cemetech archives since I would assume his programs were on both Ticalc and Cemetech Smile The point of mentioning his stats in such a post is to emphasize his prolificness, so it doesn't matter where he got the stats from. I believe Cemetech was originally almost just a file hosting thing and then evolved to include forums and other projects. But once again, maybe some Cemetech relic could enlighten us on the subject Smile
mr womp womp wrote:

maybe some Cemetech relic could enlighten us on the subject Smile

*coughcough*Kerm*coughcough*
KingInfinity wrote:
Yes, but on his own website, at one point, he was not #1? I don't believe that for one second. Especially because it's Kerm.
Cemetech was once specifically a website to show off my own projects, but as I collected more enthusiastic experts and beginners around myself and it, it gradually became clear to me that the Cemetech community needed everyone's projects equally featured. Not only has that been reflected in the changing structure and content of the site (my name isn't even on the front page any more!), but the forum categories have shifted from Cemetech projects to community-focused categories, news has been ever-shifting from my and my staff's projects to more objective looks at any new and exciting projects, and so on. If someone wrote an extremely popular set of programs that got more downloads than me, I'd be only all too happy that they posted their impressive work in the Cemetech archives.

JamesV wrote:
Kerm built a name for himself quite quick when he joined the community (back in around 2000-ish from memory).
I definitely did, and I threw myself into creating and releasing programs enthusiastically, first publishing more quantity than quality but eventually (in my opinion) improving that ratio. Lest we whitewash the past, I did my share of irritating n00by things.

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I think you'll find that in that article he would have been referring to the stats on ticalc.org, which was arguably still the leading community site at the time.
Mr. Vernon has hit the nail on the head: the quote references the ticalc.org statistics. For a long time, my files were only hosted on ticalc.org, and my Homestead and later Geocities versions of the Cemetech website had archives that were static HTML pages listing my programs and hotlinking to the ticalc.org archives for the file downloads and screenshots. I don't remember which came first, hosting the screenshots and files on Cemetech or ticalc.org disabling hotlinking, but either way, 2004 did indeed bring a new archives system on the Designerz-Core-hosted Cemetech website. Their webserver supported Perl but not PHP, so I wrote our current archives system in Perl and later ported it to PHP. It has been significantly overhauled since then, but the code definitely still has some unfortunate and awkward legacy in the form of code structure and variable names from its Perl days and my early PHP education.

For the curious, we have an occasionally-up-to-date summary of the site history in the About section.
343guiltyspark wrote:
Doors XP looks cool ... a little ambitious, but if it can be done, Kerm would be hailed as the next programming genius.

And so he was Very Happy
Also, the weird capitalization on that thread and the use of c00l makes me want to never return back there...
2002 was a heady time at ticalc.org, full of unusual nicknames like RcTpArRoThEaD, impersonators of popular comment contributors like KermMartian, no_one_2000, and benryves, quote pyramids, FIRST P0ST declarations, and more. The ticalc.org news comment threads are infinitely saner now, but I actually miss some of that slightly immature excitement over the community and its projects.
KermMartian wrote:
2002 was a heady time at ticalc.org, full of unusual nicknames like RcTpArRoThEaD, impersonators of popular comment contributors like KermMartian, no_one_2000, and benryves, quote pyramids, FIRST P0ST declarations, and more. The ticalc.org news comment threads are infinitely saner now, but I actually miss some of that slightly immature excitement over the community and its projects.

Ahh, the nostalgia...
But you would surely want more mature discussion here, on Cemetech, right?
Mature discussion here, havoc and craziness on TiCalc Razz
Yep, we've always emphasized maturity and quality at Cemetech, but that doesn't mean we can't have fun too! And ticalc.org got away from the havoc and craziness relatively quickly too, partially because of the drop in community activity, but partially due to some stricter moderation as well.
KermMartian wrote:
... ticalc.org got away from the havoc and craziness ... due to some stricter moderation

CORRELATION WITHOUT CAUSATION!

ticalc.org is to blame for stagnating the community. If they hadn't gotten stricter mods everyone would know how to program a TI Graphing Calculator. Wake up, the facts are all right here.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours