How about a c64 emulator for TI-84+! The only reason I say this is because I have absolutely 0% of skill in z80 assembly, xLib, Celtic3, Batlib, DCSB, and pretty much everything except for BASIC and Axe.

And I kind of want to see it done. It's a great idea, considering the low graphical resolution of the c64

What about a Windows 2.0 emulator (MS-DOS? Windows 3.0? Working with Microsoft themselves to create a new OS for the Z80 calculators?

Please use the edit button if you want to add more to a topic and the last post was less than 24 hours prior, thanks. -tifreak8x
I'm going to rain on your parade, I'm sorry:

Commadore 64? Sorry, not in a situation to google around. These types of things require more CPU power than the calculators themselves. Games could be ported over, with caveats sure, but an emulator requires the computer running to emulate the system AND the game. Calculators just don't have that capability.

Regarding MS-DOS and Windows 2, there are CLI programs out there. Some might even try to emulate MS-DOS but the problem is similar. MS-DOS is (quite literally?) the OS. To create such a thing on the calculator you'd need to emulate Windows. Or, create a new OS for the calculator that functions as a CLI for the calculator; running programs and apps via functions rather than a menu. Regarding MS2 and 3, DCS is at the graphical limitation of the calculator on the TI-84 & 83 series. I'm hesitant to include the 84+C, but it's probably true there as well. But, that hasn't stopped people from trying. You can likely find calculator programs out there that mimic these OSes.

Getting Microsoft to actually make an OS for the calculator means you'd have to get them to care. To get them to care there needs to be incentive (i.e. revenue for the company and returns for the shareholders). That's not even considering the fact that TI would have to get involved, and without TI's involvement, Microsoft is going to ignore it. But, hypothetically, let's say Microsoft did make an OS. They'd charge you for it and it still wouldn't be any better than the actual TIOS. There's only so much you can do with 15Mhz of CPU power and a 64x96 black and white pixel screen.
That is the most detailed thing I have ever read. nevertheless, I'll keep it in my mind that it's possible. If a calculator can emulate the Gameboy, then it has potential..

comicIDIOT wrote:
There's only so much you can do with 15Mhz of CPU power and a 64x96 black and white pixel screen.

Have you not seen the grayscale?
Eightx84 wrote:
That is the most detailed thing I have ever read. nevertheless, I'll keep it in my mind that it's possible. If a calculator can emulate the Gameboy, then it has potential..

Someone did that, but the Ti-84+ SEs made after 2012 don't have the ram to run it.

Please use the edit button if you want to add more to a topic and the last post was less than 24 hours proir. tifreak already warned you.
Even if you could emulate the CPUs, memory layouts, ports, etc. of those devices, I think you'd find one common barrier: emulating the graphics. Among the issues are handling color, matching the features and speed of graphics cards in software, and perhaps most importantly, dealing with the resolution. The Commodore 64 ran at 320x200, and as far as I can tell, Windows 1-3 generally ran at resolutions of at least 640x350. Either you'd only be able to see a tiny fraction of the screen at any one time, or you'd have to see it extremely downscaled; about 4x for the C64 and 8x for Windows (this scaling would also take lots of extra processing time). Both options would probably render the device nigh unusable.

A GameBoy emulator can exist for a number of reasons. For one, emulating the CPU is a lot simpler, because it's very similar to the one already in the calculator. It was limited to 4-color grayscale, which obviously translates perfectly to the calculator. It has a resolution of 160x144 that can be scaled to fit so that you can actually somewhat decipher the screen contents, or you can view a portion of it that's actually a decent fraction of the original. And the graphics hardware is much weaker, although I believe that emulating the graphics is still one of the bigger bottlenecks in emulation speed.
willwac wrote:
Eightx84 wrote:

Someone did that, but the Ti-84+ SEs made after 2012 don't have the ram to run it.

Please use the edit button if you want to add more to a topic and the last post was less than 24 hours proir. tifreak already warned you.
Actually TI-Boy SE was fixed so that it supports those new 84+SE calcs, and btw it's 2007 not 2012. However, I don't know if newer calcs can play Pokémon.

Regarding the Commodore 64, we have to keep in mind that it supports a much larger screen resolution too. (I think it's 160x200 in high color mode and 320x200 in low color mode) Even the 84+CSE can barely even support its own screen and its own OS.
Eightx84 wrote:

comicIDIOT wrote:
There's only so much you can do with 15Mhz of CPU power and a 64x96 black and white pixel screen.

Have you not seen the grayscale?

To achieve grayscale on a TI-84 Plus monochrome screen, you must turn each pixel ON and OFF very rapidly, preferably using a checkerboard or interlacing to reduce the flicker effect. You can't just turn a pixel gray: the calculator doesn't support that. Switching pixels on and off very fast (which takes more resources) works, though, due to the motion blur.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours