Should CAS be included in a third party OS?
Yes
 100%  [ 11 ]
No
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

I know that there is another topic that touched on this, but I recently got asmOS and was wondering: Is it possible to see the direct source code of a TI-84+ OS and another OS that supports CAS (68k, etc.). Then, I thought it might be possible to paste the specific CAS section of the 68k OS into the TI-84+ OS. I know its probably illegal but I would just like to know if it could be done.
ordelore wrote:
Is it possible to see the direct source code of a TI-84+ OS

No.

ordelore wrote:
and another OS that supports CAS (68k, etc.).

I almost said no, but the CAS used in the HP-49G is LGPL (you didn't say a TI OS, you just said another OS). Still...

ordelore wrote:
Then, I thought it might be possible to paste the specific CAS section of the 68k OS into the TI-84+ OS.

No. Just no. A lot of work would need to be done to integrate it, even if you could get the 68k OS source, and it becomes that much harder if it's 68k asm.

Really, the best approach to doing a CAS on an 83+/84+ is probably to find as light of a CAS as is possible (but I suspect that the 49G CAS is way too RAM-heavy), and port it in as an App.
*AHelper looks at gCAS3.

I will see about working on my CAS again next week. I will have to see about getting a system down for getting the project going as I still have no actual code for the new parts (I am rejecting the core math parts in light of something to match better).
To clarify more what AHelper is saying, his third-party OS called GlassOS already has a fledgling CAS called gCAS2, soon to become gCAS3. It's what Graph3DP uses for its expression parsing and solving, and it's the most complete of any third-party currently available for the TI-84+. With that said, it still can't do too much symbolic manipulation, hence why gCAS3 is on AHelper's plate at all.
Okay, I was just trying to put the question out there. Me being the ambitious type, I think I will attempt a CAS program/app using Axe and/or z80 asm. If anyone would like to help or suggest an asm tutorial, please let me know. It would be very much appreciated.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours