What exactly is a good frequency for a (set of) pixel(s) to flicker on and off fast enough to trick your mind into seeing grey on a monochrome LCD? Are Z80 chips with the properly set up LCD drivers fast enough to achieve a “flicker-less” “perfect” 4, 8, or even 10 level greyscale? Even if that were possible, if someone were to recreate a game (I assume “port” is the correct term?), would it even look good in a game for a 62X94 LCD display?
I am willing to bet as well that it is possible to create a driver similar if not exactly like to/that of a TI85.
My calc running GlassOS gets perfect greyscale running at 61.70Hz. Now, not all calcs would get the same flickerless effect at that frequency. More shades on a calc has been done (over 8?) but the flicker issue becomes more apparent and the z80 will spend more time drawing than on your program.

There is a topic about this somewhere, either here or on omnimaga, but am short on time right now.

About porting, depends on the game.
I might try GlassOS.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours