i want to make a shell and i want people to be able to run programs but i want to be able to write it all in basic and xlib. How can do this

Edit by Merth: Please try to use correct spelling and grammar. Especially in the topic subject.
You could use the ExecArgPrgm function in xLIB to execute programs.
EDIT: Also, you should Introduce Yourself!
i also have another question... can some one tell me how to make a good menu
There are many resources on ticalc.org for the beginning basic programmer. http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/ is also a great resouce for programmers, with tutorials, how-tos, and documentation. You may also want to look at the tutorials here:

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4823

ticalc.org sarcastic news artical wrote:

46. Everyone prefers BASIC shells over assembly because they are larger and require you to manually edit a program and enter the BASIC programs you want to list in the shell.

^ SARCASM.

Just a drawback, especially since there's already a bunch of shells out there... Link:

http://www.ticalc.org/pub/83plus/basic/programs/shells/
spud2451 wrote:
i also have another question... can some one tell me how to make a good menu

You would have to use the getKey function. Also, this may help you: http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/custommenus
I strongly suggest that you download and use Doors CS 7, if you don't already. It has a great variety of cool BASIC (and GUI) functions to help you make more attractive and powerful programs; there's a full list of the available functions here and here on the Doors CS wiki. The latter link includes the DCSB Lib for GUI Menus, such as the attractive screenshot below demonstrates:

And please introduce yourself in the relevant topic linked in Souvik's post!
KermMartian wrote:
I strongly suggest that you download and use Doors CS 7, if you don't already. It has a great variety of cool BASIC (and GUI) functions to help you make more attractive and powerful programs; there's a full list of the available functions here and here on the Doors CS wiki. The latter link includes the DCSB Lib for GUI Menus, such as the attractive screenshot below demonstrates:

And please introduce yourself in the relevant topic linked in Souvik's post!

Yes but i'm trying to make a custom shell for personal use but with more advanced functions like ungrouping and showing system stats like free rom and free ram to the byte.

Ps i'm using celtic and basic to make this

Pps.i have, use, and love dcs7
FWIW, you could write an SE for DCS that ungroups programs for you, and you'd have exactly what you are talking about. DCS shows you your free RAM and ROM if you hover over the |=|=|=| icon (that looks like a stick of RAM). And DCS includes Celtic3, so you could use that menu and Celtic3 and not have to worry about conflicting hooks and such.
Yes verry true

But i want i to be its own shell not having to rely on an other shell to do some of its
work for it

Ps. I'm already half way done
But since Doors CS includes all the Celtic III libraries plus much more, the point is that it's silly to have both Celtic III and DCS7 on your calculator. I'm glad to hear that you love it!
This better stand out from all the other basic shells that are already out there. Very Happy
oh i dont have celtic 3 on my calc i'm using dcs7 for that

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours