I've noticed that my computer starts lagging terribly between 5:00 and 5:10 PM. Anybody know why? Does Windows update stuff at a particular hour or something? Not terribly important, but if anyone has any hints that'd be great Smile
At 5p, the PARTY HARD UNIT ENGAGES.
Maybe you set your anitivirus to scan at that time.
souvik1997 wrote:
Maybe you set your anitivirus to scan at that time.
My best guess. If not that, then at least another daily job; like a System backup?
Find out for yourself: Get the Sysinternals suite, and launch Process Explorer.
It's probably your hardware wishing that it were running Fedora.
I'm inclined to believe the antivirus scan hypothesis. Something that I've found provides a huge (unfortunate) performance boost is disabling Windows' background search indexing.
[s] Around 5 PM it's usually when I'm hacking into your computer, stealing your music, else [/s] you can do CTRL+ALT+DEL then check if a process in particular seems to be taking unusual amounts of CPU ressources.
DJ_O wrote:
[s] Around 5 PM it's usually when I'm hacking into your computer, stealing your music, else [/s] you can do CTRL+ALT+DEL then check if a process in particular seems to be taking unusual amounts of CPU ressources.

Or, you could do Ctrl-Shift-Esc to show the Task Manager without going through the Ctrl-Alt-Delete dialog.
souvik1997 wrote:
DJ_O wrote:

Or, you could do Ctrl-Shift-Esc to show the Task Manager without going through the Ctrl-Alt-Delete dialog.

He didn't say which Windows version he's using. IIRC that's a 7 only feature.
No. I frequently use it on XP at any rate, and I believe I've done it on Win2k as well. It goes at least that far back.
Ctrl+Shift+Esc has been the Task Manager shortcut since NT 4, as far as I can remember.

XP was a weird one in that Ctrl+Alt+Del brought up Task Manager if you were using the Welcome screen instead of the Security screen. I guess this was to "help" people coming to NT from 9x, though as they (thankfully) reverted to the classic NT behaviour in Vista I guess it wasn't a very successful effort.
at 5pm the simpsons steal ur megahurtz
Oh... Good point. I really should have thought of that.
I think that at 5PM your computer is:

Quote:
Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay! Partying Partying Yay!

Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Looking forward to 6PM

Well, have you found out the cause already?
I tried to open up Task Manager yesterday, but it lagged so much that I gave up.
Try disabling your antivirus before 5:00, and see if that fixes the problem.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours