Well, I am trying to uninstall a rather troublesome program that I no longer use, but I need a file called unins000.msg. I am unable to find it, and I tried google, yahoo, bing, ETC ETC, and I still cannot find it. If someone has a copy (search your computer), can you send it to either q25centfun@yahoo.com or just post a download link? Ty in advance Very Happy
What program is that?
Netnanny, something my 'rent installed.
Reinstall the troublesome program to the same location as it was previously installed then uninstall it. The unins000.msg file will be a file generated by the program installer and is used by the uninstaller to remove the software - it is specific to the particular piece of software and to your machine (it contains the paths of the files it installed so they can be removed).
qazz42 wrote:
Netnanny, something my 'rent installed

yeah...

oooh.... hmmm Well its probably a hidden file? or maybe restart your computer and see what happens if you havent? I'll google it up.
Edit: Ninja'd yeah what ben said. I googled it up and some people had the same problem and they just installed and uninstalled.
qazz42 wrote:

yeah...
Then they probably don't want you to uninstall it, do they?
Actually Kerm, they no longer have said fears, and consent to me uninstalling it 'cause it also happens to block 90% of sites that I like and are completely harmless. and @ others, that would work, if it wasnt for the fact the license expired and I have no way or reinstalling Sad (I kinda manually deleted the unins00.msg a while ago trying to remove the net nanny, sadly it has cost me, and it will never be removed. )
What about the fix that Ben suggested; is that not an option?
well I cannot install it as I do not have the installation CD/file
Why can't you use windows uninstall thing? add and remove programs, I think.
I believe Ccleaner can get rid of it:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

It has tools for removing troublesome autostart programs and can also get rid of any registry keys it left.
When the software is installed, the files it creates/modifies and components it registers are listed in the installation log file (which is usually named unins000.dat or similar). The uninstaller then uses this file to remove the added files, unregister any unused components etc. Without the file, you cannot cleanly uninstall the software as there's no record of which files it created/modified or components it registered.

If you have simply deleted the relevant files, you may find a registry cleaning utility can tidy up the rest of the mess as it will be able to detect broken entries in the registry (e.g. references to components where the target file is missing). Unfortunately, I don't know of any suitable pieces of software - and would recommend backing up your system before running one (creating a System Restore point would be a good idea, or at least export the registry).
graphmastur wrote:

ah ha, and this is the problem, I cannot uninstall it because I am missing unins000.msg Very Happy
qazz42 wrote:
graphmastur wrote:

ah ha, and this is the problem, I cannot uninstall it because I am missing unins000.msg Very Happy
Again, I think Ben's solution in his most recent post is a good one. Smile
This could help.
Altavista.
qazz42 wrote:

yeah...

*ahem* Yeah, just do what everybody else says. G'luck Qazz.
benryves wrote:
When the software is installed, the files it creates/modifies and components it registers are listed in the installation log file (which is usually named unins000.dat or similar). The uninstaller then uses this file to remove the added files, unregister any unused components etc. Without the file, you cannot cleanly uninstall the software as there's no record of which files it created/modified or components it registered.

If you have simply deleted the relevant files, you may find a registry cleaning utility can tidy up the rest of the mess as it will be able to detect broken entries in the registry (e.g. references to components where the target file is missing). Unfortunately, I don't know of any suitable pieces of software - and would recommend backing up your system before running one (creating a System Restore point would be a good idea, or at least export the registry).

oooh, I see what you are saying. Yes I do plan to backup and restore once I get our old external hard drive Very Happy (I will back up everything but the netnanny files... perhaps that will rid of it too)
\
@souvik, tried and failed Sad
benryves wrote:

Ccleaner does just that...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours