Who Plays? I do, my nick is Dontar LutharDT
Dontar wrote:
I do not, although it seems like a great concept. I'm fascinated that people somehow earn real money in a virtual game; I guess that's a good way to put a more concrete value on 3D modelers' skills.
my avatar is a black&white cat with black wings...(Incubus)

I am normally found on sandbox areas or the "Free Money" area
KermMartian wrote:
Dontar wrote:
I do not, although it seems like a great concept. I'm fascinated that people somehow earn real money in a virtual game; I guess that's a good way to put a more concrete value on 3D modelers' skills.

I think you were just completely ignored Kerm. :/
I looked at the game out of curiosity a few years ago but never got interested. I know a few years ago Second Life, for some people, was pretty much their primary life, though. :/
I'd join, but you need a Paypal or North America phone.... oh and also, I'm under 18.

"There" was a good game, until it closed...
Wait? It's not free anymore? The last time I went on that game it was free... or do you mean to earn real money?
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
I looked at the game out of curiosity a few years ago but never got interested. I know a few years ago Second Life, for some people, was pretty much their primary life, though. :/

It's one of those games I see to be like gambling, you get something, you lose something, only here it is probably more "addictive" as it seems to be more realistic, and therefore people can even be "brainwashed"(for lack of better terms) to slowly believe that is their life and get sucked right into it.

Though that is all theory, I highly doubt any of that has/will happen, but it seems like the kind of game that would be able to do that to some people.
second life is free to play, you can get lindens by doing Free Offers, there is a lot of stuff to get free money at "Money Island"
Dontar wrote:
second life is free to play, you can get lindens by doing Free Offers, there is a lot of stuff to get free money at "Money Island"

I remember getting bored and watching court TV stuff, like Judge Judy (very bored) and there was someone suing since someone overused a borrowed credit card for Second Life.

That right there shows some people get too obsessed with some games.
You need a paypal account or a North American phone (they send a SMS) to make an account.
odd, I didnt need any of those to get a second life account..
Maybe you didn't need to at the time? Because now you need to select a ID, either PayPal or mobile phone (America or Canada only).
I created an alt yesterday and I didn't need to. Which one are you playing.
I'm with Sonlen on this. I could easily see something like this consuming a ton of a person's time, and I already have enough problems scheduling my time in my first life without having to worry about a Second Life. Smile
I don't play, but my research adviser was telling me one of her former students has something like a Ph.D in bioinformatics, but is making more money making high-end avatars for second life right now. That's pretty darn impressive.

(Me for a while.)

I remember that an important server update coincided with my 18th birthday – I was forced to contact the Liaisons on the day after to have them repair my account. (I was somehow limbo'd between the PG realm and the adult realm.) It was a good experience; I had a fun time exploring that vast world on a God-awful machine. But it eventually got stale as I started setting goals for myself: you can't sell things without advertising, and you can't advertise without a store, and you can't get a store without either selling things or investing real-world dollars.

However, the build mode was tops, but I would have enjoyed it a little more had there not been so many griefers everywhere.

Oh, and the role-playing. 50% chance of talking to someone and them playing house on you suddenly.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours