So, I'm very unimpressed by what the console manufacturers are doing, and maybe it's time for me to turn to the "PC Gaming Master Race". So let's say I have a budge of $2000 and want a nice machine. Where can I get started, what do you recommend, etc.?
Make your own, 'nuf said.
ordelore wrote:

This. You can get a much much nicer PC at a better cost value if you build it yourself then if you get one of the pre-built gaming systems. However I would make sure you have adequate cooling/fan power, and a good GPU and about 8 GB RAM, the rest do whatever.
While perhaps overused, I think that $1000 gaming PC thread from a while back is a good place to start. And then just keep upping the parts to fit your price range.

Personally, I would say that a nice Nvidia card, a few monitors (I've got three) that have a high DPI, and a good keyboard/mouse (I'd recommend Razer, but their Razer Synapse software could be stealing all of my data, so instead, just some other customizable mouse). Also, I've been loving my SSD, though I would suggest getting a large HDD for everything besides your OS(es) (I've got a 2TB that I'll probably never fill, even with all the games I have installed).
ordelore wrote:
... That's never not been the goal. I'm asking what parts I should buy and all that... So no, not "'nuf said".
You'll want one of these, I'll poke at some other items once I get done with work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193
Checklist:

• Motherboard
  • RAM
  • Processor
  • Graphics Card
  • Storage
  • Optical Drive (?)
  • Case
  • Cooling
  • Power supply
  • Peripherals

• Displays
    • Keyboard (wired)
    • Mouse (wired)
    • Speakers and/or headset

First of all, you'll need to decide if you want ATI/AMD graphics or Nvidia graphics. And secondarily ATI or Intel for CPU. Nvidia is the better option if you ever want Linux, and Intel is *always* the best option for CPU if you don't have budget constraints.
As soon as you are able to run Starcraft: Brood War, you're fine.
DJ_O wrote:
As soon as you are able to run Starcraft: Brood War, you're fine.

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new.
elfprince13 wrote:
Nvidia is the better option if you ever want Linux, and Intel is *always* the best option for CPU if you don't have budget constraints.

Nvidia's Linux drivers are terribad. I'd take ATI's open source ones over them any day without hesitation.
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Nvidia is the better option if you ever want Linux, and Intel is *always* the best option for CPU if you don't have budget constraints.

Nvidia's Linux drivers are terribad. I'd take ATI's open source ones over them any day without hesitation.

Not if you want to do anything useful. Nvidia drivers are binary blobs so meh, but ATI's are useless if you actually want to use the card to, you know, accelerate some graphics. The only reason to take ATI over Nvidia when it comes to Linux is for GPL religiosity.
Well, I have no intentions of doing anything with Linux on this machine, so base all suggestions on that.
Before I start looking at putting together something is there a preferred site you like to use for buying things or do you not care. Also does it matter if its all from one place or if you have to shop around to get a better deal as long as the shipping doesn't kill ya?
As long as it's good, I don't really care.
I personally prefer AMD cards much more than nvidia cards. Two cards I'm looking at right now to upgrade from my lowly Radeon HD 5450 are

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5400619&CatId=7387

and

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2060885&CatId=7387

so those are what I'd recommend for the video card.

As for the processor, since your budget is much higher than mine, I've heard some nice things about the AMD FX processors. Though I think Intel processors are just as good. Just be sure you get a motherboard that can handle FX processors if you get this. I think they have to be "AM3+" for them to work

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4904561&csid=_61 seems to be the best FX processor on tigerdirect. Not familiar with intel processors, though, so you might have to check for yourself which one you rather have.

For RAM, I recommend getting 2-4 of http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7010611&CatId=4534 these. They were cheap and have run pretty well on my desktop. I run 2 of them, for 8 GB, but that's only because my motherboard only has 2 RAM slots.
elfprince13 wrote:
Not if you want to do anything useful. Nvidia drivers are binary blobs so meh, but ATI's are useless if you actually want to use the card to, you know, accelerate some graphics. The only reason to take ATI over Nvidia when it comes to Linux is for GPL religiosity.

Nvidia's drivers can't even handle a 2D desktop without failing. I had to abandon dual monitors because vsync was tied to the primary monitor, so I got tearing on the secondary ones.

And FYI both the open source and the proprietary ATI drivers do 3D acceleration. On that you are simply wrong.
I'm with the AMD gentlemen here. I have been very happy with AMD's cards for my own machine as well as for machines I have helped my friends and girlfriend spec out and build. For a budget of $2000, my picks would probably look something like this:

- Nice ASUS motherboard in the P8 or later lines (~$100)
- i7 CPU at a decent clock rate (~$500)
- 16GB RAM (~$100)
- RAID-5ed 2TB HDDs (3x) (~$350)
- 256GB SSD (~$200)
- 800W or so PSU (~$120 for a good brand)
- AMD/ATI GeForce 7950 or so (~$250)
- Pair of 27" monitors ($400)
- Mouse and keyboard ($50)

Total: ~$1980
qazz42 wrote:
As for the processor, since your budget is much higher than mine, I've heard some nice things about the AMD FX processors. Though I think Intel processors are just as good. Just be sure you get a motherboard that can handle FX processors if you get this. I think they have to be "AM3+" for them to work
Currently, AMD processors only win out when you're on a budget or don't have particularly demanding requirements. Intel's current offerings are much faster per-core as well as clock-for-clock and command a corresponding price premium.

Quote:
For RAM, I recommend getting 2-4 ...
There are much better options. That's pretty slow stuff.

And now, the things I disagree with on Kerm's set of things:
Quote:
- Nice ASUS motherboard in the P8 or later lines (~$100)
$100 doesn't really get you a "nice" motherboard. I'd budget at least $150 for a properly nice board, not specifically ASUS. I'm partial to MSI, but mobo manufacturer is mostly a personal preference thing.

Quote:
- i7 CPU at a decent clock rate (~$500)
Seems to be on the high end, but fine.

Quote:
- RAID-5ed 2TB HDDs (3x) (~$350)
Sounds like overkill. I'd get a single disk and use some portion of the leftover money to set up a good system for maintaining backups. (Remember kids, RAID is not a backup solution.)

Quote:
- 800W or so PSU (~$120 for a good brand)
Overkill. Should be able to go down to around 600W with ease. Exact specs should be left until you're specced out other parts and can get a good idea of the final draw.

Quote:
- Pair of 27" monitors ($400)
- Mouse and keyboard ($50)
Noted in chat, he's already got peripherals.
What are the better options of RAM that you'd recommend?

What's a motherboard you think is "nice".

High end CPU seems okay, right? Less obsolescence.

I agree about the backup. 2TB HDD seems like a lot, which is fine. Can someone explain what the SSD is for and what the HDDs are for? SSD for OS and executables, HDD for data?

I'll save specing out the PSU until everything else is set up.

I will need another monitor, but I'll probably just get another of what I have now--I like it well enough, and having the same monitors probably means there won't be weird colorness happening.
The SSD is for the OS and programs you use often, but since they are generally expensive for the size it is a good idea to use a tradition HDD for Data and larger programs and ones not launched often.

SSD's are generally at least 90 to 100% faster than even the faster HDD, if not even more and are really needed to get the speed you'd expect with as powerful of computer you are looking to get.

As for the CPU, with the price range you suggested the highest end socket 1150 i7 would still be easily in your price range so the question is would you rather go stupid overkill or save the money and keep some of your budget left over for other things.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours