I built a bed that levitates on magnets.

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/u0cuv/i_made_a_bed_that_levitates_on_a_magnetic_field/

http://imgur.com/a/VWhr7

Kerm and Elfy made me post this.
Wow, that looks awesome!! I saw that they have a magnetic strength of a few hundred pounds of force. How much weight can it support? How high off of the base does it stay?

Any plans on hiding the base/cables to make anyone looking for the frame confused?

Also, the magnets getting stuck and trying to pull them apart seemed fun, from one POV. Smile
I saw that you got a lot of publicity online about your bed, Pseudoprogrammer, and I was quite impressed. I have a few engineering concerns, mostly with the giant base. You said that the base of your bed taking up most of a room wasn't a problem for you, though, so good stuff all around. Yes, I made you post it. You also have to let us know any possible improvements that you're seriously considering.
AHelper wrote:
Any plans on hiding the base/cables to make anyone looking for the frame confused?

I'm more interested in if you'll ditch the cables altogether in favor of a "ring" that the bed can float around in. But I assume with that kind of force the bed would always be on an edge, though maybe version two will have magnets on the side of the ring to keep the bed in place.
comicIDIOT wrote:
AHelper wrote:

I'm more interested in if you'll ditch the cables altogether in favor of a "ring" that the bed can float around in. But I assume with that kind of force the bed would always be on an edge, though maybe version two will have magnets on the side of the ring to keep the bed in place.
Can you explain a bit more what you mean about the ring? I worry that the kind of arrangement that I'm imagining from your description might be too prone to flipping and crushing the sleeper.
Sure, basically add an extruding edge that has magnets to keep it centered. The bed would have edge magnets as well.

It's been a while since I played with magnets and forget they would flip before shoving the bed to one side.
I'm glad my pestering helped get you to post it. This is a super cool project Smile I'm curious - do you have any further plans for it?
Uhh no real further plans. I actually might disassemble it because I have heard the wood creaking some and whatnot. I think this type of project, with several hundred pounds of tension in the cables, calls for an aluminum frame.
Woo you are badass. I want that bed now. Very Happy so epic.
How much did it cost you?
What if it flips and squishes you underneath?
It doesn't. Havenoticed the steel cables?
Also I noticed ypu don't have a mattress Shock
There is a 1.5" memory foam mattress.
not very thick either...
what did the vomplete bed cost?
I want that bed Shock How'd you think of building one like that?
This i guess: http://dornob.com/for-real-1-6-million-dollar-magnetic-hover-bed-floats-on-air/
Do want! Though yeah an aluminum frame seems to be called for in this case.
The answers to pretty much any question you have about it can be found in that reddit thread.

All in all it cost around $1K.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
The answers to pretty much any question you have about it can be found in that reddit thread.

All in all it cost around $1K.

Any estimate on how much if would cost you to switch to an aluminum frame? What was the breakdown in costs (magnets/other hardware/lumber/mattress)?
I won't be doing the aluminum frame any time soon.

magnets were 75% of the cost.
Woah, they cost $750? Pretty expensive Shock

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours