I am trying to create a mobile application (for iOS) that can be used to load a website. Only one. ClrHome Productions. I have XCode, along with iOS Simulator and XCode's Interface Builder. Anyone know what I have to do? Never done this before and can't find great help online?
You'll have to create a backend on the web for it. You *can* pull web pages into an iOS app from the App but I believe Apple shuns the practice and doesn't approve those apps. You'll need the backend for the App to talk to the server so it can get information that the App can process. Basically, you'll need a way to load the .php files before the templates get rendered and just use the template files in the app.

I've never made an iOS App, but I've looked into because I wanted to do the same thing for Cemetech but it just ended up being more trouble for me than it was worth so I made a mobile web version instead (opposed to both).

Of course, if you just want the app to load the blog and/or forum, there are probably plug-ins for the major brands (WordPress, phpBB) to support mobile phone apps. I know that some sites I visit from my iOS Devices display an alert that tells me to download Tapatalk. So perhaps it may be easier to integrate for an existing app than making your own. Sadly, you won't have all that awesome customization and branding you could have in your own dedicated app. But with Tapatalk at $2USD, it's probably wiser to make a free app for yourself. (It's the main reason I haven't downloaded it). I didn't look into the plug-ins or Tapatalk too heavily as once I learned about the backend work I just abandoned the idea.

As for resources, I recommend MacRumors with it's huge and active member base. None of my help topics have gone unanswered for more than a few hours.

Don't get discouraged because I gave up, I have a very light programming background and it all looked too much too fast for me. You'll have better success than me at doing this! Smile
Thanks...Comic. I mean, the dev language for Apps is C/C++ and C++ kind of scares me at this point, but then again, so did assembly.
Ah. Our Members foamy3 did iOS development but not sure if he still does. rthprog does web development with, I think, a few iOS apps under his belt. I'll send this topic to both of them; they are rarely on Cemetech anymore, rthprog swings by every once and a while though.
I would just use HTML5/Javascript/CSS and make an 'offline web application' (google it for resources, help). Pros are (1) Less steep learning curve compared to mastering Objective-C (2) Your code base can reach a lot more devices, not just iOS if you use something like PhoneGap (http://build.phonegap.com). Con is obviously that your app doesn't get access to hardware like camera, accelerometer etc.
Happy, welcome to Cemetech! Since that appears to be your first post, you should Introduce Yourself if you get a chance, and post Your Projects topics about anything interesting that you currently have going on, coding-wise.
ewww, i tried learning how to make apps for the iphone and ipad. it just ended up giving me a headache and deeper hatred for apple. even so, i wish you best of luck!
LuxenD wrote:
ewww, i tried learning how to make apps for the iphone and ipad. it just ended up giving me a headache and deeper hatred for apple. even so, i wish you best of luck!
Please oh please stop necroposting. This thread is over half a year old, and I'm sure ACagliano has long since abandoned this project. With that said, I agree that the Apple development ecosystem is very restrictive and that friendly to developers at all, from the requirement that you own a Mac to write software to the annual $100 developer license fee and the arbitrary rejection/deletion of apps from the App Store.
Actually I deleted a spam post that posted before him. I haven't gotten around to reporting it.
just a quick question. is it possible to make webapps and get them submitted in the apple app store without using a mac?
Web Apps are applications that are accessed via the browser, and were popular under iOS1 as the App Store and Apps were introduced in iOS2.

So, strictly speaking, you don't need to submit web apps to the Apple App Store. But if your app uses HTML and JS, you'll need to compile it in a C/++ shell. Which, I think you still need a Mac. I haven't followed closely since Apple got sued/lawsuited for only allowing development on OS X.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours