0%  [ 0 ]
TI-Nspire™ with Touchpad
 0%  [ 0 ]
TI-Nspire™ CAS with Touchpad
 0%  [ 0 ]
TI-84 Plus Silver Edition
 100%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 5

Since my old one (not really that old though) seems like it's almost dead, it's time to begin the search for a new one. I figure that you all have a pretty broad knowledge of the various models and that you can help me narrow down to a few choices. Here are the requirements:
1- needs to be a TI (duh)
2- graphing (duh)
Here are some other things to consider:
1- I am in AP classes and will go into college next year (can I use it on the AP exam? Can I use it on college tests? Etc.)
1.1-I will be going into an computer engineering major
2- Finals are this week, so a new calculator will need to arrive quickly
3- (would be nice to) Ability to program via computer or directly on calculator. I only know basic and some java (though doubt java could be written for a calculator).
Other info:
-I'm not worried about prices, so that won't be a factor
-I'm used to the TI-84 style graphing calculator, how long will it take me to transition to a new calculator?
-I've read about the Nspire, what are the differences between the regular, the CX, and the CAS? Are any of them practical for my uses?

Please help me narrow down my choices.
Well, if I am not mistaken, then a 68K series calculator would be great for computer engineering. However, I don't know the legality of it on tests, but considering it is capable of CAS, I would say it is not so legal, so probably just a new TI-84+ is in order Smile
The college board allows CAS-enabled calculators on the SAT and AP tests. This includes the m68k calcs and the nspire cas models.

... no prizm on the list? D-:

<edit>

It does not allow qwerty keyboards, though, so the 92/v200 (and maybe that typey-thingy-mabobber for the nspire) would not be allowed
I figured PRIZM would be too much of a transition, but if you can provide an argument for it I'll consider.
I will make an argument for it... once mine arrives in a day or so Wink

It should be above the ti84, but not as advanced as cas-enabled calculators. Reading the manual helped me find out what it can do.

Oh, you mentioned basic... the basic on the prizm, from the looks of it, is different than TI-BASIC. You can import/export programs to/from the calculator so you can edit them on a computer as a text file.

You do get the benefit of using C (or assembly if you are dying to) for making programs.
One thing that intrigued me about the Nspire family was that ability to change keypads and thus change the function of the calculator. How do you thick that would apply to me and my situation?
(as I don't know much (anything) on nspires...)

In what way is your old calc dying? Perhaps it can be fixed? Sold? Used in art?
Check out the other thread I have here: http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=173991#173991
Actually, I don't even think TI is bothering to ship the non-CAS Nspires with the 84+ keypad anymore, unless one of you Nspire users would care to correct me. As a programmer, I recommend you either stick with the 84+ series, or get yourself a Prizm. As an engineer, I'd recommend a TI-89.
What about the TI-89 titanium?
CharlieMAC wrote:
What about the TI-89 titanium?
What about it? I doubt he'd walk into a store, see a TI-89 titanium, and insist on purchasing a TI-89 instead. The main difference between the two are more memory and a USB port on the Titanium, actually.
KermMartian wrote:
Actually, I don't even think TI is bothering to ship the non-CAS Nspires with the 84+ keypad anymore, unless one of you Nspire users would care to correct me. As a programmer, I recommend you either stick with the 84+ series, or get yourself a Prizm. As an engineer, I'd recommend a TI-89.

There arebfour models of the Nspire. Only one of those cones with a 84 keypad. The keypad is free but you must get it online.
I know; what I was referring to was the fact that it used to ship with the keypad; now you have to send away to TI to get it at all, so I wouldn't count on them continuing to support it for too much longer, sadly.
KermMartian wrote:
Exact. They stopped around late 2010, if I remember. FOr a while we had to beg for a free one via e-mail, but I don't know if they're still doing that anymore.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours