KermMartian wrote:
ANYWAY. Can we please get back on-topic about holidays and/or gifts before I ban the lot of you?

Such a happy holiday. I don't blame you, though.
Haha, what a strange tangent we went off of. Anywho, the netbook I ordered came in and it seems to be working like a charm! I already installed Fedora on it. Only problem is that our hidden wifi seems to hate me.. so no internet on it yet Sad
That sucks Qazz. My friend got a Pandigital Novel and hates it. Haha. It's just a bad tablet. I played some games on it and the touch recognition was either close or way off. I read a review on Amazon and some purchaser bought it from "Bed, Bath & Beyond." Quite the WTF moment.

I wasn't disappointed in my presents, but I wasn't expecting anything worth much anyways. I think my watch was the only $100+ gift I ended up getting. Every time I got a lot of stuff it just replaced stuff on my shelves and in turn, the older stuff ended up on the floor. So, I'm thankful I didn't get anything to clutter my room.

I'll be ordering my new bluetooth headset tomorrow, and I'm excited for that. It's the same one I had (BlueAnt Q2) but in a different colour style. So, I'll have a headset again. Then it's off to save for my new camera!
qazz42 wrote:
Haha, what a strange tangent we went off of. Anywho, the netbook I ordered came in and it seems to be working like a charm! I already installed Fedora on it. Only problem is that our hidden wifi seems to hate me.. so no internet on it yet Sad
Why not install a superior Linux distro, then? What kind did you get, and what specs? Razz You can't just say "netbook" on a tech site without details. Very Happy
Ah, indeed. I got a white Eee PC 1015, it has a webcam, it is rather sleek, and only 2.8 pounds Very Happy

as for specs:

1 GB of RAM out of a total possible 2 GB of RAM

HDD space: 250 GB HDD

Processor: Dual-Core Intel Atom N570 / 1.66 GHz

Chipset: Intel NM10 Express Chipset

Graphics Card: Intel GMA 3150 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
Great, Qazz42! I have an eeePC 901 with SSDs instead of fixed disks, and I love it. Why did you choose to load Fedora onto your netbook?
comicIDIOT wrote:
That sucks Qazz. My friend got a Pandigital Novel and hates it. Haha. It's just a bad tablet. I played some games on it and the touch recognition was either close or way off. I read a review on Amazon and some purchaser bought it from "Bed, Bath & Beyond." Quite the WTF moment.

ARGGGGH! I just blew my christmas money on one of those that I thought was a good deal on Craigslist. If I can't get him to refund at least most of my money I'll probably end up turning it into a portable SCUMM VM and other emu machine.
KermMartian wrote:
Great, Qazz42! I have an eeePC 901 with SSDs instead of fixed disks, and I love it. Why did you choose to load Fedora onto your netbook?

Well, I have no use for Windows on it, I plan to use it for all my advanced computer needs, such as programming and hosting. It also means I can free up my main laptop too so it can focus a tad more on gaming. Plus, it really feels like Fedora is much more manageable on a separate machine, it really feels best to have it on a netbook
If I don't get a response from this guy in a few days regarding returning the product, should I put pressure on him? I have his cell phone # and email, so he could be tracked down if need be(the mere threat of which would be enough), and his scrawny body would fit comfortably inside my father like a Russian Nesting doll, so I would have the muscle to confront him.
DShiznit wrote:
If I don't get a response from this guy in a few days regarding returning the product, should I put pressure on him? I have his cell phone # and email, so he could be tracked down if need be(the mere threat of which would be enough), and his scrawny body would fit comfortably inside my father like a Russian Nesting doll, so I would have the muscle to confront him.

Happy Holidays, Happy Holidays. No violence in that.
seana11 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Happy Holidays, Happy Holidays. No violence in that.

That has been on my mind as well, which is why I'm asking for some input here. If I had anything resembling regular income I would just suck it up, but I don't, and this was /all/ my Christmas money(not counting gift cards). I might not go that far but I'm still considering if it should be an option.
qazz42 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Well, I have no use for Windows on it, I plan to use it for all my advanced computer needs, such as programming and hosting. It also means I can free up my main laptop too so it can focus a tad more on gaming. Plus, it really feels like Fedora is much more manageable on a separate machine, it really feels best to have it on a netbook
For sure, but I was more questioning the choice of Fedora over other more user-friendly (in my experience) Linux distributions. Smile
Fedora is like the Ron Paul of Linux distros. It doesn't have a large majority of support, but the base it does have is solid and fiercely loyal.
DShiznit wrote:

Hehe, I say suck it up and find a sucker to buy it off you Very Happy If you're lucky you can probably get a profit. If the guy who sold it to you knows how bad it is, he likely won't refund it and say the transaction was final.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

For sure, but I was more questioning the choice of Fedora over other more user-friendly (in my experience) Linux distributions. Smile

Ahaha, I misread your post, then. Well, in that case I would say it is just because I found Fedora to be the best fit for me. I tried a few other linux distros and I guess none of them suited me as well as Fedora did.

Plus, I spent 30 bucks on a book on Fedora, so I can't back out now. Laughing
Can you clarify, though, what some of those features are?
Hmm, well, plenty of linux features are universal for the various linux distros, but I would have to say that the one thing that really appealed to me was the yum software manager. It worked a lot better than apt-get >.>

I also happen to have an affinity for the layout, too. GNOME keeps it all simple in a way I prefer everything organized. Although I am quite aware that it is just a desktop manager, another really cool thing is that if need be I can switch between desktop managers, if ever needed
GNOME, yuck.

xfce++ lxde++
Qazz, most distributions, including Fedora and Ubuntu, let you easily (or sometimes less easily) swap which window manager you're using with the underlying operating syste,.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours