From this article: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/11/18/142499737/new-tests-support-claim-that-speed-of-lights-been-broken

Scientists from the Gran Sasso National Laboratory of INFN had previously experimented with sending particles faster than the speed of light. Their data showed that they did, but wasn't reliable. Tested again and more accurately, they have again broken the speed of light.

But the chances that a regular person in the near future being involved with speed-of-light-breaking particles is... not likely...
Do we get a Light Boom when we make a faster than light jet?
Razz

Extended article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236

For those lazy-clickers out there that like pictures:

My thoughts exactly. If anyone cares to bet... I'll do $200 over 10 years. If it's not disproved by then, you get the money. If it is ever disproved, I get the money.
oh, wow that is pretty cool! I didn't follow all of the article, but I now wonder two things.

1. Does this disprove the "going faster than light = backwards/standstill in time" theory?

2. Do the neutrinos go out side of the visible light spectrum (no doubt you couldn't see them very well at any rate...)?
qazz42 wrote:
oh, wow that is pretty cool! I didn't follow all of the article, but I now wonder two things.

1. Does this disprove the "going faster than light = backwards/standstill in time" theory?

2. Do the neutrinos go out side of the visible light spectrum (no doubt you couldn't see them very well at any rate...)?

1. No. Light takes time to get places. So do neutrinos. Neutrinos are nothing new in the world of quantum mechanics. We've known about them since the 60s and they are a necessary part of many reactions. (There's a neutrino for every lepton that is not a neutrino [neutrinos are leptons], and we need them to balance decay stuff) Anyway, you can't go backwards in time with our current understanding of the universe. This changes none of that.

2. Facepalm Neutrinos aren't light. Duh. It's hard to detect them in the first place, since they only interact with other particles through the weak nuclear force (and presumably gravity). You couldn't see them if you tried, mainly because "seeing" implies light. Which they're not.
All it says to me is that, while light goes a certain speed, neutrinos go faster......

Or maybe we don't have an accurate enough measurement of the speed of light due to imperfect vacuums, causing a slowing effect on the light. Neutrinos could easily be less affected by near particles than light, causing them to go faster in the same medium, but the same speed or slower in a vacuum. Also, does relativity theory have to apply to all particles? It clearly doesn't affect photons the same way it would affect matter (as in classical atoms, not counting photons, neutrinos, or pretty much anything under the size of a quark) at light speed.....

But then, I'm no particle physicist. Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours