I was cutting something on the tablesaw and the person tailing off for me accidentally caused the board to twist into the blade, which made it kick back, hit me in the side, and even after deflecting off my side it flew halfway across the shop. owie..

I guess I'm lucky it deflected off my side instead of hitting me full force right in the stomach, table saws kick back really hard..

It caused me to bleed even with a shirt on, needed a couple bandaids.

Crying
Ouch!!! Make sure you get that checked out. it is possible that you cracked a rib..
Ouch, I've had my fair share of table saw kickbacks too. It's never fun.

Also, be sure to smack the person who twisted the wood Razz
Ah man, that's awful Sad Hope you feel better. Was the injury serious?

With that being said, I guess you might call yourself lucky; people get eyes poked out/lose fingers all the time in woodshops, at least your accident didn't include that.
My side is really sore but I think I'll be fine. The board I was cutting was a wide board with a slightly longer length, but it was very solid, so when it hit me, I was like OOF and stepped back from the impact.
I would say you got lucky, knowing my luck, I would have lost a hand in the same situation. Surprised
Oh, I forgot to mention that it's considered excellent table saw practice not to stand directly behind the table saw and to use a push stick Wink
Qwerty.55 wrote:
Oh, I forgot to mention that it's considered excellent table saw practice not to stand directly behind the table saw and to use a push stick Wink

Even better is to not take classes in woodshops Idea
I was using a push stick and it's hard not to stand in line with the blade, this is a tablesaw with a really large table.
I thought this was going to be an "I chopped off my finger" thread. While this is less exciting, it's certainly better for you!
yeah, because I'd TOTALLY be typing on a forum when I cut something off...
The Pastor of my church has really bad luck with power tools. He got a huge splinter in his eye from a table saw. He chopped off his finger. It was reattached and he is not blind. But his son is alot better with them than he is.
Sarah wrote:

Sad I would...
Sarah wrote:
You could still type without a finger! In fact, if I lost my right pinky, my typing wouldn't even be slowed down.
I think I'd be more preoccupied with, you know, being in the hospital
Sarah wrote:
I think I'd be more preoccupied with, you know, being in the hospital

Hospitals usually have WiFi.
I don't take my computer to school with me, I leave it at home
Sarah wrote:
I don't take my computer to school with me, I leave it at home
You could be home by now if it happened in the morning. Look, all I'm saying is, I thought you severed an appendage, and I'm glad you didn't.
I am glad too
It happened 2 hours ago, not in the morning. But okay

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours