A month and a half after I released my web browser for graphing calculators, Gossamer 1.0 has started to earn some publicity across the internet. It seems it was first featured on TechCrunch early this morning, and spread to Gizmodo soon thereafter. Gossamer works over the CALCnet and Global CALCnet networking protocol, allowing graphing calculators to load and view webpages from the internet. You can download Gossamer from the Cemetech archives; it requires Doors CS 7.2 Beta 2 or higher to run.

In other news, in between assorted work and a devastating life tragedy, I've been making slow progress on other summer projects from my Summer 2011 brainstorming list. The third version of my typing glove, Clove 3, is progressing nicely; this version aims to add much faster and simpler typing as well as a more self-contained design and accelerometer-based mousing to the existing wireless typing abilities. Secondly, I've been working with other Cemetech members to decipher the Casio Prizm token set to add Prizm BASIC support to SourceCoder 2.5, the BASIC IDE for TI graphing calculators that Cemetech has been proud to sport for nearly ten years. Feel free to chime in with comments and suggestions on these and other projects, and let us know what you think of Gossamer.

Edit: Engadget has joined the fray with an article about Gossamer, and Maximum PC magazine has also noticed the project.

I wish I had more words but this is very exciting! Smile
comicIDIOT wrote:
I wish I had more words but this is very exciting! Smile
Thanks! I always enjoy when word spreads about my projects and people get to hear about the cool things that we do around here.
Congratulations on Gossamer getting featured, Kerm! Smile
Awesome job, Kerm Smile and, sorry to hear about whatever's been happening in your life lately.
Ashbad wrote:
Awesome job, Kerm Smile and, sorry to hear about whatever's been happening in your life lately.
Thanks very much. My friends in the community have been very helpful and supportive so far, which has been a comfort. With the popularity this is getting, and the rather good feature suggestions people have been giving me, I'm seriously considering an upgrade to Gossamer soon.
Congrats Kerm, and sorry to hear about your life stuff. I hope things goes better soon.

As for the Gossamer upgrade, would it include things such as being able to login on forums, or would it be pushing it a bit too far? (Not sure how hard it is to handle cookies on a calc)
Cookies aren't the end of the world, as a lot of sites and webapps such as phpBB can append an SID to URLs for clients that don't support or accept cookies, but the problem is properly recognizing things like forms, allowing input, and properly forwarding the inputted data. I toyed with it a bit, but eventually decided it just wasn't worth the trouble.
Isn't SourceCoder only about 5 years old, not 10?
KermMartian wrote:
Cookies aren't the end of the world, as a lot of sites and webapps such as phpBB can append an SID to URLs for clients that don't support or accept cookies, but the problem is properly recognizing things like forms, allowing input, and properly forwarding the inputted data. I toyed with it a bit, but eventually decided it just wasn't worth the trouble.

Dang it, I wanted searching on google possible
unless you add an equals sign that will not happen?
Congrats on the feature, Kerm! And terribly, terribly sorry to hear about the life issues :'(
Bawwwww.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Bawwwww.
Thanks nikky, and _player. Smile Annoying, don't worry, I didn't forget the suggestion. Elfprince, I started it early in high school, as far as I remember, unless if was near the end. That puts it between seven and ten years old.
Great job on the Gizmodo feature. What is that? your 5th time being on there? Very Happy

Sorry to hear that you are having such problems, I hope they get better for you soon, I miss happy Kerm ;.;
Cheers, Qazz. Smile BTW, if someone wants to ping Engadget with the CALCnet + gCn + Gossamer trifecta, linking the Hackaday/Slashdot/Gizmodo articles respectively, or poke Hackaday with Gossamer, I'd have no objections.
Seems I didn't add my congrats to this yesterday like I thought I had.

Hope things improve for you soon, sir Kerm
Cheers, tifreak8x. Smile Sad

Also, SourceCoder 2.5 progress! Prizm skin created, cut into all the pieces, LCD is where it should be. Now I need to create the click-map for the buttons, figure out the menu map, and write the javascript for that, which is a massive pain.

Wow, that looks awesome, Kerm! Very Happy
souvik1997 wrote:
Wow, that looks awesome, Kerm! Very Happy
Thanks, Souvik. Smile It seems that viewing, editing, and exporting Prizm programs is completely working, but I'll need the keypad functional for people to enter tokens, most likely, since the token set is much less familiar to most of us than the TI token set.
KermMartian wrote:
Elfprince, I started it early in high school, as far as I remember, unless if was near the end. That puts it between seven and ten years old.

I think it was near the end, because I'm pretty sure I had joined Cemetech when you started.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours