DShiznit wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
Netbooks suck, btw. Never buy anything with an Intel Atom in it - too slow to do anything useful (yes, even the new dual core ones are painfully slow and suck).

That's only if you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7. With a less memory-intensive OS like Linux or Windows XP, a 1.5 gig intel atom is all you really need(or at least all I've ever needed), even for some older/lower-end games.
But if you pay a little more and get a low end i3 or similar machine you can get a lot more performance for your $$. The only thing Atom Netbooks have going for them is the fact that they are dirt cheap.
DShiznit wrote:
That's only if you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7. With a less memory-intensive OS like Linux or Windows XP, a 1.5 gig intel atom is all you really need(or at least all I've ever needed), even for some older/lower-end games.

Doesn't matter what you run, the CPU is a POS. Vista or Windows 7 doesn't slow down your apps - at worst they lower the amount of system RAM, they have no impact on CPU performance. A slow CPU is slow regardless of the OS, and Atom is *slllloooooowwww*.

An i3/i5 laptop is infinitely superior to an Atom one - since you can actually USE the i3/i5 laptop. Heck, even an "old" C2D laptop flies compared to an Atom.
I still don't know what you're talking about. From practical experience, my netbook's intel Atom has always been super quick for me. It actually beats my new laptop's AMD Turion 64 x2 in a few of the programs I've run. It might not load as fast, but it's really not much of a difference.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours