Zera wrote:
I've been thinking about this since last night, and I think it's possible I'm experiencing PTSD. There's this constant fear of having another panic attack with similar intensity as the first one I experienced. It was just so traumatic that I never really recovered from the event. Since dizziness was the first symptom I experienced, I think this constant "weird" / lightheaded feeling is like a sort of dread that I always have. I fear I'm always bordering on major dizziness, and another attack like the first one.

It's difficult to even visit it in my mind. I just can't emphasize how terrible the whole experience was. I'm so afraid it's going to happen again, or start happening on a regular basis. I don't know how to move on from something like that. There was such a feeling of having lost control over my body, and being held a prisoner by some really awful feelings. I was so sure I was dying from something, and death was the only thing potent enough to release me from the suffering. I realize that sounds grim, but it really was that bad.

PTSD is slightly different from what you're feeling; what you're feeling is called anticipatory anxiety. This is also a major symptom of Panic Disorder (if left untreated it could spiral into Agoraphobia, which is where your anticipatory anxiety gets so bad that you never even leave the house.)
I'm already experiencing agoraphobia. I can sometimes make it to doctor appointments, but there are days I can't even withstand the car-ride to a place. I haven't been able to set foot in a grocery store for some time since I had a panic attack there. Really, I don't even understand why it's an anxiety trigger. I just know that public areas cause an onset of symptoms: Dizziness, weirdness, a feeling of "unreality," etc. It starts to get so intense that I might black-out.

Usually, taking Klonopin makes it possible to get to a doctor or hospital; but I usually have borderline or limited symptom attacks.

I really want to try to get into therapy, but I haven't been able to coax myself into that just yet. I guess what makes me most nervous about it is that it's a new environment, whereas I'm used to seeing my family doctor.
The first visit is always the hardest, and you may have a panic attack even before you get there, but it will get much easier after you make it to an appointment for the first time (one of the main goals of therapy is to make sure you leave each session less anxious than when you came in; if you have a panic attack on the way there I can assure you the therapist will help take care of that rather quickly.)
It's hard sometimes to convince myself that it's just anxiety. My physical symptoms are so real. Even though I've had a number of tests done, the doctors aren't convinced there's anything (physically) wrong. In that respect, I worry therapy may not be the answer; maybe there is something physically wrong, and continuing to ignore it is only going to make my health worse.

I somewhat notice that my physical symptoms get worse as my anxiety gets worse; but sometimes, it seems like it's the other way around. It's a really confusing cycle, and I can't understand if there is something physically wrong, or it's just a consequence of anxiety.

At the moment, it feels like someone turned the gravity up. It's like I've been swimming for hours, and I just now got out of the pool. I also have some vertigo and tingling around my left pinky finger. The more I worry about it, the worse it seems to get. It seems like the gravity increases and increases over time... If I take a Klonopin, the symptoms start to subside, or go away altogether.

I guess I have to force myself to explore therapy. At the same time, I don't want anyone dismissing my physical symptoms as anxiety if they could be something real.
Zera wrote:
It's hard sometimes to convince myself that it's just anxiety. My physical symptoms are so real. Even though I've had a number of tests done, the doctors aren't convinced there's anything (physically) wrong. In that respect, I worry therapy may not be the answer; maybe there is something physically wrong, and continuing to ignore it is only going to make my health worse.

I somewhat notice that my physical symptoms get worse as my anxiety gets worse; but sometimes, it seems like it's the other way around. It's a really confusing cycle, and I can't understand if there is something physically wrong, or it's just a consequence of anxiety.

At the moment, it feels like someone turned the gravity up. It's like I've been swimming for hours, and I just now got out of the pool. I also have some vertigo and tingling around my left pinky finger. The more I worry about it, the worse it seems to get. It seems like the gravity increases and increases over time... If I take a Klonopin, the symptoms start to subside, or go away altogether.

I guess I have to force myself to explore therapy. At the same time, I don't want anyone dismissing my physical symptoms as anxiety if they could be something real.

Hmmm... sounds like something in your head, such as when the fluids in your ears are out of balance (I can't remember the exact term) can cause vertigo. Also I am sure that the physical issues can be induced by enough of the anxiety.
I thought I would drop a quick update. I decided to try anti-depressant therapy with Lexapro. This is a relatively new SSRI based on components of Celexa. Supposedly, it's more potent, and fast-acting. I've only been on 2.5 mg for a couple of days, but I haven't noticed any adverse side-effects as of yet. At most, just a bit of nausea, and some slight weirdness. (frankly, nowhere near as bad as the "normal" weirdness I often feel) I plan to gradually increase the dosage as my system gets used to it, to avoid any sudden onset of side-effects.

I'm trying to be hopeful that it will make some difference. I suppose the past couple of days *have* been better than usual. Some of my physical issues seem less pronounced, and I'm not meditating on my anxiety for long periods of time. The doctor said I would start to notice a difference within at least a week.
It seems I have a problem where I faint when I stretch after sitting for a while. I nearly drowned and almost fell down a bunch of steps cause of it. anyone know what that means? I could not find it that one time I tries to google it Sad
Zera wrote:
I thought I would drop a quick update. I decided to try anti-depressant therapy with Lexapro. This is a relatively new SSRI based on components of Celexa. Supposedly, it's more potent, and fast-acting. I've only been on 2.5 mg for a couple of days, but I haven't noticed any adverse side-effects as of yet. At most, just a bit of nausea, and some slight weirdness. (frankly, nowhere near as bad as the "normal" weirdness I often feel) I plan to gradually increase the dosage as my system gets used to it, to avoid any sudden onset of side-effects.

I'm trying to be hopeful that it will make some difference. I suppose the past couple of days *have* been better than usual. Some of my physical issues seem less pronounced, and I'm not meditating on my anxiety for long periods of time. The doctor said I would start to notice a difference within at least a week.

Good to hear that you're still working on your recovery Smile
SSRI's do tend to take awhile to have a desirable effect on the brain; let us know in a couple weeks if Lexapro proves helpful to you Wink

qazz42 wrote:
It seems I have a problem where I faint when I stretch after sitting for a while. I nearly drowned and almost fell down a bunch of steps cause of it. anyone know what that means? I could not find it that one time I tries to google it Sad

http://www.medicinenet.com/fainting/article.htm

tl;dr Get your heart, then blood sugar tested.
qazz' problem sounds like low blood-pressure, anemia, or something else along those lines. I wouldn't advice using online diagnostic tools. It's too easy to misdiagnose yourself, or get carried away with the wrong conclusions. It's best to check with your doctor.
Zera wrote:
qazz' problem sounds like low blood-pressure, anemia, or something else along those lines. I wouldn't advice using online diagnostic tools. It's too easy to misdiagnose yourself, or get carried away with the wrong conclusions. It's best to check with your doctor.

He should still see his doctor, but IMO researching symptoms online at least gives you a starting point on what to talk about when you meet with your doctor.
it has absolutely nothing to do with either Razz my blood pressure is actully pretty high due to stress and I... don't even come close to having anemia, all my red blood cells and happy camper atm. I really dont know why it happens, it only happend to me roughtly 4 times in the past 3 years. I just stretch, blackout for 3 seconds, and move on. Perhaps it has to do woth how I am streching or something?
Maybe you stood up too fast?
This isn't like that "vertigo" thing, is it? I think (coming from my head) that that also happens when the fluids in your ears get out of whack, and that can cause dizziness which might cause fainting. Also, hope your new medication helps Zera.
That's great to hear, Zera; I really hope that this medication works out for you. Smile Let us know how it goes!
tanner, could be. It only happens when stretching though. I read it happens somewhere when you lock your knees and you block the blood from flowing :/
Ah, that could be it. In marching band, we're told not to lock our knees or we'll faint, chorus said the same thing.
_player1537 wrote:
Ah, that could be it. In marching band, we're told not to lock our knees or we'll faint, chorus said the same thing.

yes, the article I read had some guy fainting after locking his knees while stretching while in a marching band.... wish I was wanred of the same thing and I could have been save some head injuries...mumble..grumble......rant...zzz
_player1537 wrote:
This isn't like that "vertigo" thing, is it? I think (coming from my head) that that also happens when the fluids in your ears get out of whack, and that can cause dizziness which might cause fainting. Also, hope your new medication helps Zera.

The doctor said it wasn't vertigo that I described. I guess the best way to put it is a sort of "strain" in my head, with a feeling of constantly being off-balance, feeling very light or heavy, feeling like I'm floating, feeling like there have been gravity changes, and some light dizziness from time to time. I also get occasional headaches, feelings of tension around my jaw and under my tongue, and a feeling like my nervous system is being overloaded. It all ranges from mild to very extreme. I make an ER visit whenever it gets to the point that I start experiencing numbness in parts of my arm. Last time I was at the ER, I couldn't even sign the forms. My writing dexterity was so badly affected by the numbness that I couldn't properly write.

Unfortunately, every doctor I've seen has dismissed everything as simply being a manifestation of anxiety. I feel like an inadequate amount of testing has been done, and no one is going to try to help me. Taking anti-depressants is my last resort. If they don't improve my symptoms within a few weeks, I won't hesitate to throw it in my doctor's face and make it clear that my symptoms are NOT related to mental stress. If my doctor still wants to insist that it's anxiety, then I guess it's time to find a new doctor.

EDIT: Regarding above comments - Most people don't realize that locking your knees while standing for long periods of time cuts circulation to your brain. That's why you see people passing out during weddings from time to time. It's a good idea to keep your knees bent anytime you stand. The more you know!
One more update. I guess the thread is pretty much done after this one...

I started on Lexapro, as mentioned. I began with 2.5 mg for one week, then went up to 5 mg. Been on 5 mg for a little over two weeks. Before I committed to starting it, let me just say that I was at the absolute worst point of my life. I felt floaty every single day. It was like the gravity had been altered. I felt dizzy, and completely off-balance. My eyes often shifted around because it was like I was moving even though I was sitting or standing still. There was a constant strain all throughout my nervous system. That one is a bit hard to explain, but it was the absolute most intolerable, insufferable thing I have ever had to deal with. I don't quite want to describe it as pain, but it was painful in a manner of speaking. It was like several nerves were being overloaded or stressed in some way they normally can't handle. Then, there were times when nerves in parts of my body wouldn't work anymore. I would sometimes lose the ability to write, even. Everyday, I had to cope with this feeling that my body was just shutting down.

When I started taking Lexapro, I noticed some slight change in symptoms after the first few days. All the symptoms were there, but they gradually become less intense, or lasted for shorter periods of time. When I stepped up to the 5 mg dosage, the symptoms mostly disappeared. Now I feel like my feet are on the ground, I'm no longer floating, no longer have random loss of function in my body, no longer have dizziness or lack of co-ordination. I seem to experience some of these symptoms on a very, very small scale from time to time, if I put myself in an unnerving situation. For the most part, I'm able to relax now; but I do have to avoid stress, as there are still certain things that can really trigger anxiety episodes.

Unfortunately, the Lexapro has not treated my agoraphobia. I can't enter a store without vomiting and passing out. That one, I still can't understand. I'm considering increasing the dosage again, and seeing if it will have any effect. Also unfortunate is that Lexapro is one hell of an expensive drug. There's no generic available since the maker is fighting anyone who tries to produce a cheaper version. Hopefully, my doctor can give me some free samples to work with.

So, was it just anxiety I've been going through all this time? I really don't know. Part of me believe it's possible; but Lexapro may be nothing more than an overpriced placebo. I mean, the science behind psychological disorders and anti-depressants isn't even understood. We just *believe* that anti-depressants have therapeutic effects because clinical trials have demonstrated a mere 5 or 6% higher effect rate than placebos. My doctor could have just as well given me a handful of sugar pills claiming they were anti-depressants, and I might feel as healthy as I do right now.
Well, I'm happy to hear that the Lexapro has had a positive effect on your stress and anxiety, but I'm disappointed that it hasn't treated your agoraphobia. It sounds like you have as a good plan of action as you can given your available options for moving forward from here, and I hope you'll keep us updated. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours