KermMartian wrote:
Really? It can adjust your screen temperature/white balance through the day based on time of day, sunrise, and sunset times without any extra software?

It uses ambient light sensors (not internal clocks) to adjust the screen brightness, which indirectly changes the saturation a bit as well.

TheStorm: You can turn if off if it bothers you.
Ignore the Mactard. His opinion is completely invalid due to his choice of operating systems.
I've had it for a while now. I like the effect, it looks good on eyes at night. The only problem I have is when you go into standby mode, upon return the effect is jumpy. Pretty good software.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Really? It can adjust your screen temperature/white balance through the day based on time of day, sunrise, and sunset times without any extra software?

It uses ambient light sensors (not internal clocks) to adjust the screen brightness, which indirectly changes the saturation a bit as well.

TheStorm: You can turn if off if it bothers you.
Ahh, that's a little different. I know there there are a few cell phones that do that to adjust the back light to save power.
The iPhone does this too using the camera.
elfprince13 wrote:
OS X does this anyway without having to install extra software Wink

No, it doesn't.

Stupid POS can't even have 2 brightness settings, one for A/C and one for battery. It lets you specify two settings, but the dumb POS never actually switches between the two.

After a month of using OS X on a Macbook Pro (brand new one at that) I have come to the conclusion that the OS is crap, its design is completely retarded, nothing works right, AND it has hard locked on me about 3 times, and refused to shut down another couple of times forcing me to kill the power. Not to mention trying to use it is an exercise in frustration. User friendly my ass.

As for the MBP, what a joke. Zero engineering went into it. Unibody? What a laugh. The body is clearly made of multiple pieces of aluminum, hell the bottom is clearly screwed on. The fancy specs are completely useless because it gets red hot if you do the amazingly complicated task of watching a youtube video. Seriously, the fan spins up stupid loud, and because the morons decided the LCD hinge was a good enough vent the fan can't move any air, causing it to need to spin faster. Then the aluminum body rears it's ugly head, because guess what aluminum does pretty darn well? It conducts heat. Guess what gets really really hot without adequate cooling? The CPU and GPU.

Seriously, OSX and the MBP are *terrible*, and Apple has the balls to charge twice as much for 'em as comparable PC equipment (which, I'll point out, actually works when you use it).

/RANT
I'm with Kllrnohj on that, but that's a topic for, well, another topic. As far as f.lux goes, I'm getting quite used to the color changes; I hardly notice them anymore, and my eyes certainly don't feel terribly strained, although I don't know if there has actually been a measurable decrease in my eyestrain or not.
Souvik1997. That auto-brightness is a joke. It never works. I can be in a dark room and the brighness jumps around. Also, the camera isn't used. My First Gen iPod doesn't have any camera and it has an auto-brightness setting. The devices have a light diode that detects light, which is also more power efficient than using the camera.

Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

No, it doesn't.
True story. I've never read anywhere, seen any settings or even noticed it happening. A computer marketed towards the professional artistic crowd, it'd be suicide to change monitor colour & brightness ever so slightly during the day.

Quote:
Stupid POS can't even have 2 brightness settings, one for A/C and one for battery. It lets you specify two settings, but the dumb POS never actually switches between the two.
Regarding the brightness, it does. If you plug it in the brightness bumps up, but I believe that's an option under "Energy Saver" within "System Preferences." Also, it does switch between the two modes. My monitor shuts off after a minute of inactivity when unplugged and the computer itself sleeps after 15. While plugged in, both settings are set to never. It works. Try setting the settings to something other then "Never."

Quote:
....it has hard locked on me about 3 times, and refused to shut down another couple of times forcing me to kill the power.
Then you're using it wrong or you received a defective MBP. I've only experienced a hardlock once or twice since I got my MB in the Summer of 2008.

Quote:
As for the MBP, what a joke. Zero engineering went into it. Unibody? What a laugh. The body is clearly made of multiple pieces of aluminum, hell the bottom is clearly screwed on.
Kllrnohj, I seriosuly expect better research and/or knowledge out of you. This isn't the first time you've slammed something without spending a minute to do research. The Unibody design is misleading, I'll give you that. But how do you expect Apple to add in the parts when the entire body is one piece? It's just the top part and sides that are a single piece, the bottom is separate as well as the trackpad.

Quote:
The fancy specs are completely useless because it gets red hot if you do the amazingly complicated task of watching a youtube video.
Why do you think Steve Jobs hates Flash?
Seriously, the fan spins up stupid loud, and because the morons decided the LCD hinge was a good enough vent the fan can't move any air, causing it to need to spin faster.[/quote]I agree with that as well.

Quote:
Seriously, OSX and the MBP are *terrible*, and Apple has the balls to charge twice as much for 'em as comparable PC equipment (which, I'll point out, actually works when you use it).
You're letting you're negative views limit what you think about the Mac. Regarding hard locks, again, you either have a defective product or you're using your MBP with programs that aren't coded right or just have to many things running and wanting the same resources.

What are you doing, and how many background tasks do you have running, when the MBP hard locks?
comicIDIOT wrote:
Regarding the brightness, it does. If you plug it in the brightness bumps up, but I believe that's an option under "Energy Saver" within "System Preferences." Also, it does switch between the two modes. My monitor shuts off after a minute of inactivity when unplugged and the computer itself sleeps after 15. While plugged in, both settings are set to never. It works. Try setting the settings to something other then "Never."

Been there done that. It doesn't work. Plugging/unplugging it in doesn't change the brightness.

How long the display stays on works fine, brightness doesn't though.

Quote:
Then you're using it wrong or you received a defective MBP. I've only experienced a hardlock once or twice since I got my MB in the Summer of 2008.

Ah, yes, when an Apple product misbehaves clearly it's the user's fault.

No, it isn't defective, the OS just sucks combined with incredibly poorly designed hardware. It can't handle a CPU load at *all*. I think the real problem is that I have network mounts. And if the network isn't available, the OS is too stupid to realize those mounts aren't available and waits forever for them. Thus, finder never responds because it is forever waiting for something that is no longer there, and anything depending on finder dies as well. Pretty much the whole system grinds to halt because of that.

Quote:
You're letting you're negative views limit what you think about the Mac. Regarding hard locks, again, you either have a defective product or you're using your MBP with programs that aren't coded right or just have to many things running and wanting the same resources.

Of course I'm letting my negative views limit what I think, what kind of idiotically pointless statement is that?

If poorly coded programs crash the OS, that is solidly the OS's fault. Likewise, if the OS can't manage resources, that is the OS's fault.

Also, I *hate* the way AirPort works (or should I say doesn't work). If an AP you have saved becomes available after you've resumed, Windows will connect to it, OS X doesn't. If you are looking at the list of APs and hit refresh, and one you've previously connected to shows up, Windows will connect to it, OS X doesn't. No, OS X instead makes me do that instead. Airport also doesn't always resume correctly.

Quote:
What are you doing, and how many background tasks do you have running, when the MBP hard locks?

I have Chrome or Safari running, that is about it. The most demanding thing I'm asking OS X to handle is web surfing. Today I tried to compile the Android source code on it, it promptly locked up because make tried to make like 12 threads. Apparently OS X can't handle that many threads, freaked the hell out, and locked up. Re-running make with -j3 built just fine.

Nevermind the host of usability issues, like "back" not actually meaning "back" in finder, the maximize button being utterly useless (how the hell did they screw that up?), the window's menu is at the top of the screen (that *IS* a broken and wrong design), you are required to learn a bunch of shortcuts just for basic use (oh, you want to go up a directory? Well, since back is broken and takes you to a random folder instead, you'll need to do apple-shift-up or something retarded like that because a button that takes you up a level would be way too confusing). The more I use OS X, the more I hate it. Which is probably why I barely use it now.
Kllrnohj wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:

Been there done that. It doesn't work. Plugging/unplugging it in doesn't change the brightness.

How long the display stays on works fine, brightness doesn't though.

Maybe a visual representation will help?

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, yes, when an Apple product misbehaves clearly it's the user's fault.
A company as successful as Apple wouldn't be continuing OS X if the operating system sucks. Errors in operation are either a result of the user or a result of a program. From my computer experience, I have not been able to trace any problem to the operating system. Recently, I had LR3 lockup because CS4 had a memory error (my fault for too many programs running) when loading the photos and as a result my, and any, open LR3 catalogue corrupted until I restarted my laptop (to essentially delete any temp files that may have existed). The reason why LR3 was affected is entirely unimportant and not something you'd assume and try to falsely tie to OS X anyways.

Quote:
Quote:

Of course I'm letting my negative views limit what I think, what kind of idiotically pointless statement is that?
It's not pointless. Of course, we're all ethically diverse, but I don't hate someone because of what I've heard and read - I don't draw my opinions from others of others, as I think it's a rather low level of social living.

Quote:
Also, I *hate* the way AirPort works (or should I say doesn't work). If an AP you have saved becomes available after you've resumed, Windows will connect to it, OS X doesn't. If you are looking at the list of APs and hit refresh, and one you've previously connected to shows up, Windows will connect to it, OS X doesn't. No, OS X instead makes me do that instead. Airport also doesn't always resume correctly.
The bold text above, I'm not getting it. I'm connected to every *available* access point at school, and I've had plenty of cases where I walked from access point to another and OS X was able to connect. Not seamlessly, but it connected to the other after searching for other available and known points.

Quote:
Quote:

I have Chrome or Safari running, that is about it. The most demanding thing I'm asking OS X to handle is web surfing. Today I tried to compile the Android source code on it, it promptly locked up because make tried to make like 12 threads. Apparently OS X can't handle that many threads, freaked the hell out, and locked up. Re-running make with -j3 built just fine.
Wow. Now, I'm mocking your "anger" here more than anything else. So, Safari or Chrome require MUCH MORE than 12 threads a piece? Since, after all, they are they most demanding thing you're asking OS X to run and the least demanding seems to be 12 Threads.

Well, that's your problem. Apparently Chrome creates 36 threads and Make (capitalized, since it's a Proper Noun in this case) requires 12 threads. As far as I understand by what I've been told by you and several others, one core can handle one thread. Hyper-threading allows two threads to run on a single core.

Now, the MBP uses an Intel Core 2 Duo. Which can either be an i5 or i7. Again, as far as I understand the i7 is the only hyper-threading capable of the series so far. So, even if you were to have an i7 in that MBP of yours, you'd only be able to manage 4 threads. So, on Windows you try running 36+ threads through a Dual Core i7 and tell me if Windows doesn't lock up.

Quote:
Nevermind the host of usability issues, like "back" not actually meaning "back" in finder, the maximize button being utterly useless (how the hell did they screw that up?), the window's menu is at the top of the screen (that *IS* a broken and wrong design), you are required to learn a bunch of shortcuts just for basic use (oh, you want to go up a directory? Well, since back is broken and takes you to a random folder instead, you'll need to do apple-shift-up or something retarded like that because a button that takes you up a level would be way too confusing). The more I use OS X, the more I hate it. Which is probably why I barely use it now.
I've never had any issues when using the back button. Besides, why use the back button when you have Column View; which is way more efficient as you can jump back 2 or 3 folders (on the small monitors) at a time, or look at the files in a folder while also viewing the folders/files in that folders parent folder (/Parent/Folder/ & /Parent/, respectively)
One rather glaring (hm) issue with f.lux is that the way it adjusts the colour temperature doesn't affect the mouse cursor, so you'll end up with the screen at a low colour temperature (looking red/warm) and the cursor at a high colour temperature (looking blue/cool). I do hope they fix this, as it's quite a nice piece of software otherwise.

Kllrnohj wrote:
Nevermind the host of usability issues, like "back" not actually meaning "back" in finder, [...] you are required to learn a bunch of shortcuts just for basic use (oh, you want to go up a directory? Well, since back is broken and takes you to a random folder instead, you'll need to do apple-shift-up or something retarded like that because a button that takes you up a level would be way too confusing).

I've heard similar complaints about Windows. Since the introduction of the breadcrumb trail there is no dedicated back button, so you have to learn a shortcut (Alt+Up) to go up a directory. Or click the breadcrumb trail, I guess. Keyboard shortcuts are heavily emphasised in Windows, though, so this doesn't bother me personally.

My real beef with Apple hardware is with their lousy laptop keyboards. The UK one lacks a # (I believe you can type it with Alt+3, though it's not printed - a real UK keyboard has a dedicated #~ key) and a Delete key, at any rate.
benryves wrote:
One rather glaring (hm) issue with f.lux is that the way it adjusts the colour temperature doesn't affect the mouse cursor, so you'll end up with the screen at a low colour temperature (looking red/warm) and the cursor at a high colour temperature (looking blue/cool). I do hope they fix this, as it's quite a nice piece of software otherwise.
Indeed, it is quite startling to wonder why your cursor is suddenly blue. Razz I'm sure it's because the cursor is rendered differently than the rest of the screen, mostly because I think I saw on their site that they're trying to find an appropriate fix or workaround.
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
Indeed, it is quite startling to wonder why your cursor is suddenly blue. Razz I'm sure it's because the cursor is rendered differently than the rest of the screen, mostly because I think I saw on their site that they're trying to find an appropriate fix or workaround.
The cursor is drawn by the graphics card hardware so I think that issue may be driver related, ie the hardware cursor is ignoring the gamma and color temperature settings.
TheStorm wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
The cursor is drawn by the graphics card hardware so I think that issue may be driver related, ie the hardware cursor is ignoring the gamma and color temperature settings.
That sounds logical to me. If I recall correctly, a lot video is drawn similarly for the sake of preventing screenshots and screen capture software from being able to grab the video, correct? If so, I'd expect such video content to be equally unaffected by f.lux.
I tried f.lux a while ago on a whim- it might be useful for reducing eyestrain, but it seems I keep my LCDs dim enough that I don't experience much anyway. Aside from that, I stopped using it when I noticed colors were way off on some graphics, then I noticed f.lux was still running and it was rather late at night.

Good if you're just dealing with text, but not very nice if you're looking for accurate color representation at all times.
The Tari wrote:
I tried f.lux a while ago on a whim- it might be useful for reducing eyestrain, but it seems I keep my LCDs dim enough that I don't experience much anyway. Aside from that, I stopped using it when I noticed colors were way off on some graphics, then I noticed f.lux was still running and it was rather late at night.

Good if you're just dealing with text, but not very nice if you're looking for accurate color representation at all times.
Can't you just disable it when you're doing your vector art? Although I suppose if you're not seeing benefit from it there's no real point in keeping it.
KermMartian wrote:
The Tari wrote:

Can't you just disable it when you're doing your vector art? Although I suppose if you're not seeing benefit from it there's no real point in keeping it.

This was even before I was doing much in the way of image creation. IIRC, just browsing images I noticed that the colors looked wrong.
KermMartian wrote:
That sounds logical to me. If I recall correctly, a lot video is drawn similarly for the sake of preventing screenshots and screen capture software from being able to grab the video, correct?

I believe you're thinking of overlays, which are not a copy-protection method, but a hardware acceleration trick. When using overlays you tell the video card to render something directly on the screen at a particular position (bypassing the operating system's window manager); this allows the video card to perform scaling and colour format conversion in hardware. As you may still want the mouse cursor and other windows to appear in front of your video you fill your application window with a special colour which is used as a mask. This is why if you take a screenshot and paste it into an image editor you can see through the image editor as well.

I seem to remember that Winamp's AVS could set your desktop to the overlay mask colour and then render itself in the background.

Suffice it to say, these tricks don't work in conjunction with hardware compositing, which is why Aero disables itself if you use software that attempts to use overlays.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

No, it doesn't.
True story. I've never read anywhere, seen any settings or even noticed it happening. A computer marketed towards the professional artistic crowd, it'd be suicide to change monitor colour & brightness ever so slightly during the day.

Huh.

Quote:
If you plug it in the brightness bumps up, but I believe that's an option under "Energy Saver" within "System Preferences." Also, it does switch between the two modes.

I just checked on 4 different Macbook Pros and they all toggle automatically when I unplug them. The brightness bumps down by 3 notches.

Quote:
....it has hard locked on me about 3 times, and refused to shut down another couple of times forcing me to kill the power.

Have you installed any kernel extensions? The only times in a decade of using OS X that I've had it hard freeze was with third party kexts.
Quote:
The fancy specs are completely useless because it gets red hot if you do the amazingly complicated task of watching a youtube video.

Go whine to Adobe, the same thing happens in Linux.

Quote:
it promptly locked up because make tried to make like 12 threads. Apparently OS X can't handle that many threads, freaked the hell out, and locked up

Bullshit. I've kept an OS X computer at 100% CPU utilization for 4 days straight (with 16 threads in a single program traversing a 12GB graph datastructure) and Finder was still useable.

Quote:
Nevermind the host of usability issues, like "back" not actually meaning "back" in finder, the maximize button being utterly useless (how the hell did they screw that up?)

what are you ranting about? The back button does EXACTLY what it claims to do: it goes back a directory - not up a directory unless the last directory you were in was the parent. But like Comic said, why on earth wouldn't you just switch to column view?

benryves: fn-delete is the equivalent of a PC delete, and regular delete is backspace.
Brightness != color temperature. Brightness = backlight intensity; color temperature = bias towards blue or orange (as you probably know).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours