0rac343 wrote:
WOW! That is amazing! I havent had time to actually read up on computer programming yet. Just the basics of C++.

I was doing object oriented graphical C++ variations. Not that tough to learn, object programming makes a lot of sense.

Back to the topic, good luck programming those Raylin.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Nice list, how are you going to implement these spells? Is there going to be the elemental weaknesses and immunities?
I presume for N spells, he'll have an 8N-character string in order to display the spells, and probably maintain either a list of effects from each spell, or programmatically select the behavior of each spell.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Harry potter?
No, Latin, perhaps you've heard of it? I sometimes moonlight as a Latin scholar. Smile

yeaah, stupify is is a Harry Potter spell, heheh

anywho, Raylin, you should really consider a Kamehameha wave as a final blow

just sayin...
@qazz42: I'm thinking about it. Smile

Actually, Kerm is right. 8N-character string. And there will be a rock, paper, scissors-like element system. But, this is the beauty of it:

Code:
{2,3,3,1,1,2
<damage> = int(<base damage of spell>+(2*<intelligence>)*(1-.5(<enemy affiliation>=Ans(2X-1))+(<enemy affiliation>=Ans(2X

One single algorithm does it all. Smile

EDIT: Formatting.
EDIT 2: Negation and sign issues.
EDIT 3: "Damage will be halved if strong, damage doubled if weak."
One single algorithm for every single spell? Or am I misunderstanding you somehow?
One algorithm for calculating the damage of all spells, including elemental weaknesses and such.
yay!

heheh, I actually was thinking of adding a Kamehameha wave in one of my dead projects...
Raylin wrote:
One algorithm for calculating the damage of all spells, including elemental weaknesses and such.
Congratulations, Raylin, that's quite an impressive feat. Speaking of size and optimizations, what do you foresee for this? What will be the full set of the finished pieces of it (GUI, battle engine, menus, save/load system, ???) and estimated size and requirements?
The BASIC version shall be about ~4000 bytes, the GUI one... more. Razz
Raylin wrote:
The BASIC version shall be about ~4000 bytes, the GUI one... more. Razz
One byte or one thousand bytes? Laughing I'm assuming closer to (or beyond) the latter than the former. Wink
Yeah. Much more. I'm trying to keep these games in the same program for simplicity.

Also, there shall be one class-specific action that you can use!
Raylin wrote:
Yeah. Much more. I'm trying to keep these games in the same program for simplicity.

Also, there shall be one class-specific action that you can use!
Ooooh, one per class, you mean, or one overall?
One per class. For example, Healer has Heal while the Paladin has Final Strike. Smile
Raylin wrote:
One per class. For example, Healer has Heal while the Paladin has Final Strike. Smile
That sounds like tons of fun, Raylin! Is there a storyline of any kind, or are you going to follow the model of simplicity set by A Simple RPG and forego a backstory?
Forego the story! (For now. The Simplest RPG will have an epic storyline, thus adding to the misnomer.)
Raylin wrote:
Forego the story! (For now. The Simplest RPG will have an epic storyline, thus adding to the misnomer.)
Oh geez, there's going to be another one? I'll continue to nag you about the graphical version of A Simple RPG if it's all the same to you.
0rac343 wrote:
WOW! That is amazing! I havent had time to actually read up on computer programming yet. Just the basics of C++.
Make sure that you write code as you learn, otherwise it won't sink in as well. Smile Feel free to ask us for any help or tips with it.
Testing complex lists:

{999,999,999,999,99,99,99,99,999999,99,99 //111 bytes
{999.999+999.999i,99.99+99.99i,999999+99.99i //66 bytes
"999999999999999999999999999999 //41 bytes

Very Happy
Raylin wrote:
Testing complex lists:

{999,999,999,999,99,99,99,99,999999,99,99 //111 bytes
{999.999+999.999i,99.99+99.99i,999999+99.99i //66 bytes
"999999999999999999999999999999 //41 bytes

Very Happy
Can you double-check that the output of the second one is indeed what you expect? I'm almost positive that list will return {99.99,99.99,999999} for that.

Edit: wait, that's only 3 elements. That's what I'd expect. Smile
Actually... that means that ASRPG could be optimized even more! o.o

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours