Another article from me and the general community. This basically gives you a run-down of how to program calculator games (and normal games) in general.

Read the article here.
I notice that you include both Doors CS 7 and Axe inside the zip; does that mean you explain Hybrid BASIC with the DCSB Libs / xLib / Celtic plus Axe programming? Do you explain z80 ASM at all? Or do you go more with general concepts and avoid delving into the programming details?

I think this should go in the sticky'd Tutorials thread under BASIC. Would this be more suited to the Your Projects subforum, the TI-BASIC subforum, or the z80 Assembly subforum? I think I should move it to one of those.
Uhm...

Crap, Kerm. Now, I need to rewrite the thing. Razz

Just move it to the TI-BASIC subforum.
It would be better that way.
Not sure if you're asking the community here or Raylin, but I vote against the "Your Projects."

It would be best to sticky it and if it gains popularity and is updated, then perhaps a sub-forum in the projects section. But guides and such for BASIC, AXE & ASM don't get updated often. At best, they get updated for optimizations every few years when the creator can update the whole guide. But by then the programmer is/may be no longer in Calc Programming.
That's fair; moving the thread to the TI-BASIC subforum.

Raylin, what do you mean that you need to rewrite it now? Smile
*bump* So Raylin, I read over your guide for a bit. Very nicely done; I have only a few suggestions:

1) Must the whole thing be centered?
2) Regarding this paragraph: "Data doesn't count towards the 8/16 KB executable code limit in 8xp/8xk executables, respectively. If you just hard-code everything with If blocks, prepare to run out of code space very fast!" 8xk executables don't have a 16kb execution limit and then unlimited data space; they can have arbitrary mixtures of code and data on every 16kb page.
3) I didn't get your "out of the box" joke. Razz
Out-of-the-Box as in TI-Boy SE's Out of the Box Programming.

What should I say for that one paragraph then? I don't think I get it yet.

And I can left it if you want.
Raylin wrote:
Out-of-the-Box as in TI-Boy SE's Out of the Box Programming.

What should I say for that one paragraph then? I don't think I get it yet.

And I can left it if you want.
Ohhh, so it actually is an OTBP joke. I considered that, but then thought maybe that was too obscure for you to be mentioning. For that one paragraph, perhaps you're referring to Axe? Does Axe require you to have all the code on the first page of the App? If so, I think you should distinguish between Axe App limitations and normal ASM apps. If not, then make it clear that apps have no particular memory limitations other than only existing in 16kb increments (and, to be fair, increase difficulty in using things cross-page over using code and data on the current page).
Done.

This is totally a work-in-progress, I hope you know. Razz
Raylin wrote:
Done.

Absolutely, hence why I wanted to help it indeed progress. Very Happy Great job otherwise, I hope it'll be very helpful to those looking to write games. I don't suppose you'd want to link to good tutorials for BASIC, ASM, and Axe from that? Nah, might be a bit outside the scope of your project, right?
I can do that.
Raylin wrote:
Done.

Wait, so which exactly was the case? Does Axe limit you to 16kb of code and then unlimited data? Or does Axe have the same limitations as normal Apps.
Axe limits you to 8kb of executable code in a program. In an APP it's 16kb.
Raylin wrote:
Axe limits you to 8kb of executable code in a program. In an APP it's 16kb.
Ah, I guess it's incapable of doing cross-page calls, then. Smile Good to know.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours