http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/815356-ps3-users-warned-not-to-use-consoles-as-8001050f-error-crashes-network

This better be fixed by next week (FFXIII comes out on the 9th).
Whoa, did they write buggy code that fails to accomodate some type of leap-year situation? The juxtaposition to February 28th -> February 29 / March 1 is what's making me suspicious here.
Interesting.
KermMartian wrote:
Whoa, did they write buggy code that fails to accomodate some type of leap-year situation? The juxtaposition to February 28th -> February 29 / March 1 is what's making me suspicious here.
Doubt that, it's not even leap year and it didn't crash last year, which wasn't a leap year.
a, now I can't play Uncharted 2 online. Sad
I just played Modern Warfare 2 online, seems to be working for me
To whoever changed the title of this topic: it's inaccurate; the Playstation Network isn't down.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
To whoever changed the title of this topic: it's inaccurate; the Playstation Network isn't down.

I am too lazy to actually make my own post so instead I quote people and then don't say anything new

Also, there's a solution to this problem floating around on Youtube:

in b4 double-post.
I lol'd, Nice find there UltDev
hahaha, very nice XD
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/01/ps3-clock-bug-apparently-squashed-games-are-playable/
Wow, lol, this is ridiculous.

And, haha, nice post UD Laughing
To paraphrase the Joystiq article to which CDI linked, it apparently was something clock-related, although I suppose only time and research will tell if some underpaid code monkey failed to account for certain days in certain months of 2010. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
To paraphrase the Joystiq article to which CDI linked, it apparently was something clock-related, although I suppose only time and research will tell if some underpaid code monkey failed to account for certain days in certain months of 2010. Smile
Maybe they thought that 2010 was a leap year, after all every century is. But still it'd be as simple as YEAR/4, detecting if the answer had a decimal, and if so, adding one day to February. I can't believe some person would code in every day of every month by hand for every year. (aside from the general 365 day calender).

EDIT: I'm not making too much sense. I say "Maybe they thought that 2010 was a leap year, after all every century is." because perhaps some coder misplaced the one on 2100. As for why they'd go that far ahead, beats me.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Maybe they thought that 2010 was a leap year, after all every century is.
According to the Gregorian calendar, only if the year number is exactly divisible by 400 (so 2000 was a leap year, but 1900 wasn't and 2100 isn't going to be).
Oh wow. This might actually be worse than the Xbox eating discs and RRoDing 54% of the time.
benryves wrote:
comicIDIOT wrote:
Maybe they thought that 2010 was a leap year, after all every century is.
According to the Gregorian calendar, only if the year number is exactly divisible by 400 (so 2000 was a leap year, but 1900 wasn't and 2100 isn't going to be).
Oh, you're right. I had no idea about the divisible by 400 for turn of the centuries.
So according to http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/03/the-apocalyps3-ends-in-global-resurrection-arm-chip-at-fault/, it was indeed a programmer who thought 2010 was a leap year:

Quote:
[...]we're hearing from Eurogamer that the villain in this story was an ARM chip inside the console -- the very same one, in fact, that led to a few Zunes losing their minds back in 2008. The big problem here was simply a bit of hardware that couldn't get its bearings straight after expecting 2010 to be a leap year, and the arrival of March 1 "fixed" everything for all eight affected PS3 SKUs (of a total of eleven). That leaves Sony with four years to make sure this problem isn't heard from again[...]
We've been saying it for so long it came true - the PS3 now really does have no games.
elrunethe2nd wrote:
We've been saying it for so long it came true - the PS3 now really does have no games.

Question
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
elrunethe2nd wrote:

Question

Well, its fixed now, but people couldn't play games before. I mean, the puns are endless.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours