shmibs wrote:
first off, dude, nohj, calm down.

What about my post gave you any indication that I was anything but calm?
shmibs wrote:
if they really want to do something about the problem they should spend less time factoring security features into crappy remakes of old best sellers and more on making things that are really WORTH HAVING
I agree.

shmibs wrote:
first off, dude, nohj, calm down.
Laughing Laughing
Dshiznit's use of statistics is often frustrating; as far as we know, he makes them up on the spot.
HERE'S AN IDEA, and I could be like, totally wrong about this (but I'm not): the more complicated the DRM a company puts on its software products, the longer it'll take to crack, which means it will take longer to "pirate" and distribute on the oh-so-famed Pirate Bay AAAAAARRRRRRRRRR so in the meantime Ubisoft and the like can buy more gold humvees and diamond-studded pools:

When have I made up statistics? I've stated assumptions I've had, ones that were often wrong, but the only statistics I can remember citing recently were that one day of top TBP torrents, and that was more to refute K's theory of "Piracy makes games that suck not sell" than anything else.
In order for any statistics you present to be valid you need to show:
1.) The method for determining the sample
2.) The methodology for collecting the data (what questions were asked, what tests were run)
3.) The sample size
4.) The amount of non-response
That sounds more like a survey or study, which I've already said is not what I did. I just took the top 10 torrents for that day, which, at the time(it was 2 weeks ago) were games that were selling pretty well. If that's not a statistic, then oh fine. It still goes against K's idea that piracy makes games that already suck not sell.
DShiznit wrote:
That sounds more like a survey or study, which I've already said is not what I did. I just took the top 10 torrents for that day, which, at the time(it was 2 weeks ago) were games that were selling pretty well. If that's not a statistic, then oh fine. It still goes against K's idea that piracy makes games that already suck not sell.

define "games that suck"
Experiments just need the first 3. I was making a joke, but you do have a tendency to use correlation to imply causation, which it doesn't. Also, you just said that two things were directly related. The right word is correlated, but you didn't show any evidence of their correlation.
I wasn't really trying to prove a cause, just disprove K's. If you really want me to, I'll take a sample of TPB's top 10 video game torrents every week(as well as the the top 10 top selling video games that same day from some other reputable site) and turn this into a full study.
DShiznit wrote:
When have I made up statistics? I've stated assumptions I've had, ones that were often wrong, but the only statistics I can remember citing recently were that one day of top TBP torrents, and that was more to refute K's theory of "Piracy makes games that suck not sell" than anything else.

First, that wasn't my theory.

Second, the statistics you stated have zero impact on what you thought my theory was. It is neither evidence for NOR against "Piracy makes games that suck not sell"

Finally, well worded and researched arguments against you are about as useful as headbutting a brick wall - hence why I've largely given up trying to debate with you. You just can't debate with someone that doesn't understand logic and reasoning.
DShiz, I've found that you often contradict yourself. Get your facts straight FIRST, then start talking. Because if you say one thing and then find something else out, you just make yourself look like an idiot. Unless you're 99.9% sure it's right, don't post it. Either that or make a note that you're unsure if your own claims are valid.

Just some tips to take with you into the future, so you don't make a fool of yourself anymore. Smile
alright, from this moment forward i am no longer buying or playing any non-freeware games:
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/37605/Now-Sony-joins-pre-owned-offensive
Quote:
Oh yes......well done Sony.

I can't quite see how this measure can be seen as a positive for people who buy games. PSPGo has absolutely failed because who wants to pay the same retail price for a digital copy of a game with no resale value?

Furthermore, who wants to buy a retail game they can't trade-in? Sony, Ubisoft, EA and all need to accept that the new games market is quite reliant on pre-owned - and unless digital copies are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than retail copies then many people simply won't bother.

Music downloads are very different to the games market. If you buy a song from iTunes for 59p or 79p, and you listen to it a couple of times, you may have your moneys worth. Paying £40 for a game that promises to be amazing - then turning out to be too short, too easy and a big letdown (and we could all name dozens of those games!!) is NOT getting your moneys worth. The ability to trade-in unwanted and completed games is part and parcel of this industry. The age-old argument always harps back to - if a game is seriously good, people won't trade it in.

As for their choice of game - well I don't think anyone in their right mind would buy SOCOM on PSP anyway. I mean, what a God-awful title that is going to be.

So yes, well done Sony. Just when we thought we were turning the corner, you have to go and say and do something ridiculous.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Finally, well worded and researched arguments against you are about as useful as headbutting a brick wall - hence why I've largely given up trying to debate with you. You just can't debate with someone that doesn't understand logic and reasoning.

This coming from someone who thinks piracy can be a huge problem while all of society thinks it wrong and rejects it.

I've been wrong before, I'm not denying that, but I'm not a retard, and treating me like one isn't going to get a rational debate out of me.
Never speak for all of society Dshiznit; you will always be wrong.
I'm not the one speaking for all of society, I, unlike K, understand that society is deeply split on the issue of piracy, which is how it could have anywhere near the effects K describes.
DShiznit wrote:
all of society thinks it wrong and rejects it.

you're not speaking for all of society now?
I was refering to K's idea that all of society thinks piracy is wrong and rejects it, which is mutually exclusive to the idea that piracy has a huge effect on sales.
They aren't mutually exclusive. The syntax is so bad in two of your past three posts that I don't really even understand what you are trying to say.
Not all of society has to kill somebody for there to be a murder problem. If half of society does it, they will be deeply split on the issue, and still have a killing problem.
There's no problem with my syntax at all as far as I can tell, but let me see if I can break this down for you further:

IF piracy has a huge effect on sales, significant amounts of the population have to be doing it, and thus don't think it's wrong.

IF a large majority of people do think piracy is wrong, they aren't pirating, and not many sales are lost.

K seems to think both can happen at the same time, which I believe would be a logical paradox. Am I wrong in that assertion?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours