http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=235290&site=pcg

Discuss. My first reaction was thinking it was something from The Onion.
Didn't we already have a topic on this?
I can only assume that pirates will have Ubisoft's server heartbeat and verification method reverse-engineered within days to circumvent this rather ridiculous result of the ongoing DRM arms race. Razz
This is part of why people pirate. You simply can't trust DRM anymore, and pirates make it go away.
DShiznit wrote:
... and pirates make it go away.

Pirates are why it's there in the first place, dumbass.
It's a vicious cycle. A few people pirate, so the game companies say "lets stop them from pirating with some DRM"

People get pissed at the DRM and more of them pirate the cracked version so they don't have to deal with it. The companies say "shit, it's not working. We need more DRM.....," etc.
The companies need to suck it up and accept that there will ALWAYS be piracy, and they should just be super stoked their games are so popular.
DShiznit wrote:
The companies need to suck it up and accept that there will ALWAYS be piracy, and they should just be super stoked their games are so popular.

Yeah, and they can celebrate how popular they are while serving ramen to their family for dinner.
foamy3 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Yeah, and they can celebrate how popular they are while serving ramen to their family for dinner.

Yes. I'm sure the entire staff of Ubisoft is positively sobbing over their two minute noodles.

Disgusting.

-edit-
Oh hell, not Splinter Cell too.
Well, i'm never playing that. Its not that I pirate, but this is Draconian. Anyone who knows me well knows I have lousy internet.

So is Ubisoft planning to provide faultless internet service too?
foamy3 wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

As I've said before, that is an unfounded fear. Games that sell are going to sell whether they're pirated or not, and games that don't sell won't sell even if piracy stopped existing. Sales lost to piracy are directly proportional to total sales. If a game isn't selling well, it's because people don't want to buy it, not because piracy exists.

EDIT- also:
If pirates did reverse engineer, couldn't they form an "attack" on Ubisoft's server out of protest?
Quote:

I think that when you work with the budgets they do, ramen is so far out of your league its not funny.

Also, they'd never do that to Rayman. Its selective, which entirely ignores the fact that sales lost to piracy are directly proportional to total sales, as Shiznit mentioned.
Lucas W wrote:
If pirates did reverse engineer, couldn't they form an "attack" on Ubisoft's server out of protest?
I don't see what that would achieve except for disrupting service for innocent players who actually bought the game; it's not their fault, so why should they be inconvenienced?
elrunethe2nd wrote:
Quote:

I think that when you work with the budgets they do, ramen is so far out of your league its not funny.

Also, they'd never do that to Rayman. Its selective, which entirely ignores the fact that sales lost to piracy are directly proportional to total sales, as Shiznit mentioned.

DShiznits comments have contradicted that as proven in other threads where he mentioned that Plants Vs. Zombies was the #1 pirated game on ThePirateBay.org. If his statements were true Plants vs. Zombies would have to be the #1 most sold game during that time period which I am sure is not the case.
Actually, the number 1 most pirated game at that moment was counter-strike, which is still one of the best-selling games of all time. Plants Vs. Zombies was in, like, 10th place, and at the time it was selling pretty well.
TheStorm wrote:
elrunethe2nd wrote:
Quote:

DShiznits comments have contradicted that as proven in other threads where he mentioned that Plants Vs. Zombies was the #1 pirated game on ThePirateBay.org. If his statements were true Plants vs. Zombies would have to be the #1 most sold game during that time period which I am sure is not the case.

You care about the trivial overlymuch.
when ever CS:S goes on sale on steam it skyrockets up to about 3rd-5th place.
DShiznit wrote:
Actually, the number 1 most pirated game at that moment was counter-strike, which is still one of the best-selling games of all time. Plants Vs. Zombies was in, like, 10th place, and at the time it was selling pretty well.

No it isn't, not by a long shot. You are also ignoring that "counter-strike" was a *free* mod.

You're argument is invalid. Go take a logic class and you'll see why we all laugh at you for being an idiot.

Also, odd that you would use a Penny Arcade comic to back up your point, as they disagree with you:
Quote:
Alright. So, Ubisoft's new DRM. Supports unlimited installs and Cloud-based save data. Requires absolutely unbroken access to their master servers, or the product ceases to function. I can boil it right down for you:

Nobody wins.

Well, except pirates. Pirates always win, on a long enough timeline. Honestly, the timeline doesn't even need to be that long.

Visit any thread regarding the topic, and I mean any thread, and it won't be three posts until someone raises the Goddamned Jolly Roger and says they'll pirate the game as a gesture consistent with some comprehensive ur-morality they've ginned up, one where stealing things is alright provided they were very angry when they did it. It's entirely possible that you don't like being spoken to in this way, but somebody has to get this done. What Ubisoft is doing here is Draconian - I don't mean those lizard dudes, I'm talking about laws which are characterized by their severity. Before they eventually dismantle it, and it will be dismantled, it will have achieved exactly the opposite of their intention. But what I won't tolerate from rational beings is the idea that you don't understand why they're doing it.

Every avenue of convenience for the user is also a vector of exploitation.

They have given up.

As fiery rhetoric goes, this sucks. It doesn't have that revolutionary quality that rallies the faithful. The trouble is that this dialogue between pirates and publishers, one which was always characterized by falsehood and ill-will, has ceased to exist in this case. A maneuver this extreme means that they're finished talking altogether: this mechanism is their response, the final word. Only it's impossible to get the final word here in The Cloud. Ever.

And no-one of any sense has ever bet against the scorn and resourcefulness of young men.

Uh, I post a Ctrl+Alt+Delete comic(though accuracy doesn't seem to matter much to you as long as you and you alone are right).

Regardless of whether the statistics I cited matter(It was not a study, it was one day, and it is questionable), my original point(in this topic I mean) remains valid. Piracy will always exist. Companies can either suck it up and live with it, or fight and only strengthen it.
first off, dude, nohj, calm down.
you have some good points to make, but insulting people while doing it only leads them to get angry and act irrationally, as is stated in that quote of yours
Quote:
...one where stealing things is alright provided they were very angry when they did it

secondly, and similarly, piracy can often get out of hand, but responses like this one are solving NOTHING. despite the fact that i could easily obtain any of them without paying a dime, i have a large collection of movies, cd's and games i purchased in stores. why? because i LIKED the developers and wanted to support them. piracy may be problematic for game developers, but if they make something truly original and amazing enough people will like them, support them, and get there friends to do the same. hatred only breeds more hatred. if they really want to do something about the problem they should spend less time factoring security features into crappy remakes of old best sellers and more on making things that are really WORTH HAVING

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours