Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
That's the same reason why I bought my Kohjinsha; it fits in my pocket and I can rotate the screen so I can read manga, watch vids on the bus, and use the touchscreen as a primitive controller for emulators.

Ah yes, after a year+ of trying to use an iPod Touch to fill in between my departed Pocket PC *may his soul rest in peace*, I'll be glad to finally have buttons again. I don't think I'll ever go back to Windows mobile again, though, despite how awesome my old Pocket PC was: The unix command line on my iPod is just too cool and useful a feature to give up.

Pandora will, of course, satisfy all of this and more! I just watched a video of a developer testing nullDC (that's right, the DREAMCAST EMULATOR) on a beagleboard* (as a substitute for a pandora dev board). I am sooo excited for when I finally get mine! Powerstone 2, here I come!

*The beagleboard, if you don't know, is like the desktop to the pandora's laptop: it's a tiny SOC based on the same processor and graphics card as the Pandora, but at a slightly slower clock speed. I've seen one in action personally, and it is certainly amazing to see a full xfce desktop being run off a board barely larger than a credit card.
jbr wrote:
Pandora will, of course, satisfy all of this and more! I just watched a video of a developer testing nullDC (that's right, the DREAMCAST EMULATOR) on a beagleboard* (as a substitute for a pandora dev board).

I can't wait until a sub-notebook comes out that can run pcsx2.
I saw an ad in the Sunday paper for Radio Shack: 99$ Netbook with Windows XP Home Ed, Web Cam and other great things.
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
I saw an ad in the Sunday paper for Radio Shack: 99$ Netbook with Windows XP Home Ed, Web Cam and other great things.
I'm pretty sure that's one of the more expensive ones, which is only $99 because it comes with a 3G card and a 2-year data contract.
Yep, I saw that exact same one. The monthly cost on the 2 year mandatory plan, by the way, had to be set to a minimum of $60 for the price to apply. If they are getting a guaranteed almost $1500 from you, they can afford to give you a few hundred back on the laptop.

Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
I can't wait until a sub-notebook comes out that can run pcsx2.

Ha, isn't that what the PSP was supposed to be? I remember everyone saying that it would be like a portable PS2, and now people still pretend that they are happy with it as a portable PSX.

And another great emulator: Dolphin. Great Gamecube emulation and decent Wii emulation too! Just a few days ago, it became possible to play Super Smash Bros Brawl with it, which is something I've been looking forward to for months.

Now I just have to dump that disk... Meh, I think bittorrent will be faster + easier.
jbr wrote:
Ha, isn't that what the PSP was supposed to be? I remember everyone saying that it would be like a portable PS2, and now people still pretend that they are happy with it as a portable PSX.

It was supposed to play ported PS2 games (which it does), much like how the DS was advertised to play N64 games (a la Super Mario 64 port).
jbr wrote:

It is a portable PS2. Native PSP games look much better than PSX games, and definitely approach (if not meet) PS2 quality. Emulation adds massive overhead, and the PSP is capable of emulating the PSX games in real time (even an official emulator for it). Hardly a small feat. Last I saw it handled the N64 pretty well, too.
jbr wrote:
I actually hate my PSP now. Besides getting one of the first gens a few days after it's release, the discs all came apart - except for the ones I never played.
some18kanal0n3 wrote:
I actually hate my PSP now. Besides getting one of the first gens a few days after it's release, the discs all came apart - except for the ones I never played.

I *love* my PSP (fat, original). It was just OK at first, but after installing a custom firmware it is awesome. You have to give the custom firmware + homebrew a try. Especially now that the Pandora battery pretty much eliminates the chance of bricking.

EDIT: And if your discs are falling apart you are doing something wrong - I haven't had any issues with that at all o.0 (yay for altoid disc cases)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours