I've been doing some quick research, and it would appear this is the longest gif ever made. Can someone confirm/deny this?
Its also 8mb, making it the worst avatar in the history of the internet. Congrats on wasting everyone's bandwidth Rolling Eyes
Why is that great? I think I'll go make my avatar a rickroll followed by five minutes of "THE GAME! THE GAME!" flashing on and off now. Wouldn't that be "great?"

Or how about a pokemon (original) speedrun? I could probably do one in like an hour or something.

Seriously, if no one is going to sit there and watch a ten minute animation. The only thing that will ever cause is people to become irritated with you. I'm sorry to be so honest, but it's not exactly a good "record" to hold.
Thanks for wasting my bandwidth, and also thanks for double-posting. Razz
I never did the math, it's more like 5:30 in length. I don't see how it wastes bandwith, it took only 15 seconds to upload on my shit connection, mostly due to the resolution. I still think it's the most epic starcraft avatar ever. Sorry about the double post, it was after midnight and I was running on sugar.
Average Avatar: ~50kb
Your Avatar: ~8mb

This math isn't that difficult. Not everyone has a nice connection like you. Anyone on dial-up would be waiting around 45 minutes for that to load.
I dont have a nice connection, that's my point. However, I have made the concession to use a different avatar, that I like better in some ways, since people are making a big deal out of the 7 mb one.
Woohoo! A giant 2mb image is sooo much better!</sarcasm>

At least it's offsite this time. I'll just set firefox to block images from thebettermod.org/ftp.
DShiznit wrote:
I dont have a nice connection, that's my point. However, I have made the concession to use a different avatar, that I like better in some ways, since people are making a big deal out of the 7 mb one.

2.5mb isn't much better. Get it under 250kb *at most*. The largest avatar on this thread (aside from yours) is Kerm's, and his is only ~20kb.

And fix your sig already, its huge.
jbr: Just split your signature in half and make it two rows, genius. Very Happy
DShiz: Still unacceptable. Razz
@Kerm: Ah, yes, that does make more sense, doesn't it? I was thinking for some reason that I would have to break it into 14 different 48*48 images if I wanted to make it display on multiple lines... Well, this means it'll take a lot less work when I decide to put it back up!
jbr wrote:
Woohoo! A giant 2mb image is sooo much better!</sarcasm>

At least it's offsite this time. I'll just set firefox to block images from thebettermod.org/ftp.

It was always offsite. I still don't see the problem, even on my horrible connection, over my dying router, a few megabytes takes seconds to download at most. I'll make it smaller, but I still don't get why we're making all this fuss over a few megs.

EDIT- got it down to under 200 kb while still maintaining a relatively good resolution. I'm going to simplify my signature next to be less cluttery.

EDIT- a, now it's 800kb, someone's gonna bitch now about how, omg, I'm stealing 800 whole kbs of bandwidth, its such a travesty, I'm a monster and I should kill myself.
DShiznit wrote:
It was always offsite. I still don't see the problem, even on my horrible connection, over my dying router, a few megabytes takes seconds to download at most. I'll make it smaller, but I still don't get why we're making all this fuss over a few megs.

EDIT- got it down to under 200 kb while still maintaining a relatively good resolution. I'm going to simplify my signature next to be less cluttery.

EDIT- <font color=red>censored</font>, now it's 800kb, someone's gonna <font color=red>censored</font> now about how, omg, I'm stealing 800 whole kbs of bandwidth, its such a travesty, I'm a monster and I should kill myself.

Because some people here are still on dial up, that equates to 6-7 MINUTES just for your avatar if it was still 2mb. Even basic cable/dsl will take about 30 seconds to load 2mb, which is completely unacceptable for something that people *might glance at* once or twice.

Clearly your "horrible" connection and/or "dying" router aren't that bad if its only a couple of seconds.
Quote:

Because some people here are still on dial up, that equates to 6-7 MINUTES just for your avatar if it was still 2mb. Even basic cable/dsl will take about 30 seconds to load 2mb, which is completely unacceptable for something that people *might glance at* once or twice.

Clearly your "horrible" connection and/or "dying" router aren't that bad if its only a couple of seconds.

Who still uses dial up?
noahbaby94 wrote:
Who still uses dial up?

One of my friends still does, the family doesn't use the net that much so they don't think its a priority to have cable or something Neutral
we're in 2008 now, cable is 6mbps or more, so on a decent connection 2mb downloads so quick it would seem instantaneous. I'm signed up for a 16mbps package, and the connection + dying router make my actual speed 3mbps on a good day. I'm below the poverty line so theres no financial excuse for someone to not have decent internet. If they choose not to get it for whatever reason, that's fine. But those people can't complain when it takes time to download stuff.
Regardless, I have made the concessions you requested.
DShiznit wrote:
we're in 2008 now, cable is 6mbps or more, so on a decent connection 2mb downloads so quick it would seem instantaneous. I'm signed up for a 16mbps package, and the connection + dying router make my actual speed 3mbps on a good day. I'm below the poverty line so theres no financial excuse for someone to not have decent internet. If they choose not to get it for whatever reason, that's fine. But those people can't complain when it takes time to download stuff.
Regardless, I have made the concessions you requested.

No, not true at all. Speeds vary GREATLY from area to area. My aunt and uncle could *ONLY* get dial up until about 6 months ago. Cable and DSL still start at only 384kb-768kb for basic in many areas. I think there are still a couple of people here who have dial up still (likely because they can't get anything else)

If you have 16mbps service, I highly doubt you are only getting 3mbs on a good day. Go to speedtest.net and find out what you are actually getting. Unless you have a service where its 16mbps BURST speeds (like Comcast), in which case your actual speed is less (6mbps for Comcast).

Or there are people who are sharing a connection. At school, with all the people torrenting and tons of wireless traffic, I only get about 18KB/sec down. The school's connection is 54mbit, but I can't get anywhere near that during school.

I guess mines pretty bad huh? Sad
Here's mine. Very Happy

Here's mine.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours