OK, one of my friend's moms has asked me about recommending a computer to her/go buy one. My friend will want to be able to run most modern games at a capable level (he already has monitor etc. to)

After doing some research, I have realized that I basically have only 2 options since the ones at local chains suck for gaming and I don't want to build a friend's before my own (I can imagine myself screwing up with their money before I have even tried with my own... meh...)
so my options are:
1. order a custom built one online
2. order a prebuilt one online

I went through trying a few things and after reading the hardocp review of the 3800 ati cards, I chose that as a card. Here is
Here is the one that I built:

She basically told me to get the best performance to price ratio =D (I am guessing 3850 would be a better choice for that though...)

Any suggestions or alternatives? It does not need to be by Christmas, just close to it (I would say end the month/beginning of next year... Although having it for a new years lan party would be awesome =) )
Video card: 3870 512mb or 8800GT 512mb (8800GT is preferred, but has price premium right now due to low stock)
CPU: Anything Core 2 Duo ~2.2ghz+
RAM: 2gb DDR2 800 minimum

So the system you linked to looks great - go with it if it is from a decent brand. Otherwise to cut back on the price a little just go with the c2 duo instead of the c2 quad - in games and general usage there won't be any difference.
Thanks! I might see if I can go over now and recommend it...

That pic was from CyberPower or something (only one I could remember that was really expensive). If I need to cut back I will cut down the processor =)
Bwahahaha I totally read the title in the wrong way. I thought you meant like buying a computer to be your friend, I was like "Wow harq... your cool...cough"
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Bwahahaha I totally read the title in the wrong way. I thought you meant like buying a computer to be your friend, I was like "Wow harq... your cool...cough"

Despite what you may think, I am not THAT screwed up o.O
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Haha, nice, I read the topic title in the exact same way.
Yeah, me too. I figured you had gotten bored by now IMing yourself. Very Happy
Wow... How would you have liked me to put it? Rolling Eyes Laughing
You could have said "as a gift for a friend", or left the friend part out of the subject entirely and simply stated you wanted to buy a new computer, and explained about the friend in the body of the post...
elite.lumberjack wrote:
You could have said "as a gift for a friend", or left the friend part out of the subject entirely and simply stated you wanted to buy a new computer, and explained about the friend in the body of the post...

Pshhhhhh... Have you ever heard of a retorical question? Razz
Harq wrote:
elite.lumberjack wrote:

Yes Razz
JoostinOnline wrote:
Harq wrote:
elite.lumberjack wrote:

Yes Razz

So I heard you like Mudkips...
MOAR MUDKIPS
Oh dear, Kerm, I apologize. It appears that I have begun to devolve this thread into a different land Razz

Taking a look at SAX, I realize that this is the result when you bring forth the feral level of a Geek's soul Evil or Very Mad
Memes? In my Cemetech? :O
KermMartian wrote:
Memes? In my Cemetech? :O

Oh noes! By the way, you just lost the game.

I can has topic split?
An unsplit topic is fine too.
alex10819 wrote:
An unsplit topic is fine too.

F0 Sh0!

too many splits around here...
I'm in charge in Malaysia!

But seriously, what does everyone think of those specs? I think they're decent as long as he already checked for compatibility.
KermMartian wrote:
I'm in charge in Malaysia!

But seriously, what does everyone think of those specs? I think they're decent as long as he already checked for compatibility.

The only thing I was worried about was the motherboard, but it says crossfire compatible so =)

If possible, I am going to try and get them to order today. It is free shipping and no tax, and it will be shipped out on the ~27th. The prices comes out to a nice round 1260 =)

EDIT: Sweet, found a coupon for 5% off, and it works! Brings the prices down to 1200.

What does everyone think of Cyberpower? I have been reading mixed reviews =\
It is the best performance/cost I am going to get, but I have read that their custormer support is shit and their stuff will sometimes fail. On the otherhand, I also find some with great experiences and no problems, I am hoping that since there is nothing fancy in this one, that it will work well =)

yet another edit...
It looks like a lot of the complaints are just the shipping and timing... I think the smaller less complicated jobs should avoid most of the technical problems... I am going to go ahead and try, I think that this is really the best option without spending a couple hundred more, and if it screws up, than I can call tech support for them =)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours