Oh noes! Bots have invaded Cemetech!

Prepare for evasive action!
It gets worse...

Although to a much lesser degree, OTBP is being flooded as well. Sad
Sting::Ray wrote:
Although to a much lesser degree, OTBP is being flooded as well. Sad
It couldn't have been more than seven bots, because that's your simultaneous users record... Very Happy
It is users active over the past 5 minutes... So couldn't it just be the same bot, and not a bot army?
Kllrnohj wrote:
It is users active over the past 5 minutes... So couldn't it just be the same bot, and not a bot army?

no, it couldn't, because of how sessions and bot tracking work in phpBB, it was likely yahoo spawning multiple instances of its crawler to cover a site faster.
Kllrnohj wrote:
No - each had a unique IP, otherwise the sessions would have been updated to deal with one bot as it skipped from page to page.
KermMartian wrote:
It couldn't have been more than seven bots, because that's your simultaneous users record... Very Happy

They don't all go online at the same time; but calc84maniac has axed at least 50 bots, I'd say. Evil or Very Mad
They never go online at all, because I delete them instead of activating them. Very Happy
Why would you be against spiders crawing your site? Do you have a personal vendetta against search engines?
Kllrnohj wrote:
Why would you be against spiders crawing your site? Do you have a personal vendetta against search engines?
Not to mention your site won't show up in Google and Yahoo. Razz
I was speaking of bots that signed up... Rolling Eyes
calc84maniac wrote:
I was speaking of bots that signed up... Rolling Eyes

Way to switch from search engine crawlers to spam bots without telling the rest of us. We can't read your mind, you know. Rolling Eyes
Around 700 bots got killed from Cemetech in the space of about 3 months, and since it's been over 5 months since I installed the anti-spam measures, I'd assume we've repelled nearly a thousand more. Smile
Sting::Ray changed the topic in the 3rd post... Evil or Very Mad
Yahoo! Slurp has been a bit more chill here lately. I guess we need to pick up the pace to attract it back. Smile
I don't know if this would work here, but The Art of Problem Solving website (a math forum), which I use frequently almost never has problems with bots of any type. For the search engine bots, they have some type of system that forces the bots to register as bots and, I assume, only allows one of each name. Would that work here? Or am I just being a complete n00b with regards to the issue?

As to the downside of search engine bots, they use up bandwidth, which is bad.
b-flat wrote:
I don't know if this would work here, but The Art of Problem Solving website (a math forum), which I use frequently almost never has problems with bots of any type. For the search engine bots, they have some type of system that forces the bots to register as bots and, I assume, only allows one of each name. Would that work here? Or am I just being a complete n00b with regards to the issue?

As to the downside of search engine bots, they use up bandwidth, which is bad.

Not much bandwidth though, they tend to not spider pictures Wink
They definitely don't register as bots; it just identifies them by IP as bots. My phpBB here is modded for the same capabilities.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours