Will you try Safari?
Yes
 35%  [ 5 ]
No
 64%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 14

http://www.theapplepress.com/?p=171

Is it just me or has Apple run out of ideas? Since when is a port of a web browser worthy of such news? And the benchmarks are probably the most worthless thing I have ever seen. A majority of the time I "wait" for a web page is for the data to be pulled down, not to process and render it. Then again, when pages are displayed in <1 second anyway, thats going to be pretty hard to measure any sort of significant difference...

Likewise, I'm not sure how they can claim to be the most "Innovative Browser" - what makes it so innovative? Oh right, nothing. Not a damn thing... All of their "features" in their demo are even available on IE - nothing holds a candle to Opera's out of the box features (built in bittorrent client, among other craziness) or FireFox's extensions.

By now I'm sure you are all wondering why I am posting this if all I am going to do is rant, and the reason is that I hope this brings us one step closer to a serious challenge to MS Windows, and that would be OS X that isn't bound to Apple's ridiculously expensive hardware....
I am not going to even try it, I just use Opera, it has a few bugs (it crashes occasionally, but otherwise it is great), Like you said, it has a bittorrent client, very good download manager, build in rss feed reader, built in content blocker, built in shortcut for validation (ctrl-alt-v), and mail and irc clients built in. If you don't want to deal with widgets it is the best out of the box (and then it has widgets, but not as many). I find it insulting that Apple didn't even include them Rolling Eyes . Firefox is the best as far as extensibility goes (although it needs to get its resource management back under control Razz )

Oops, I left out my personal favorite of built in mouse gestures! Almost the only one I use is down to open a new tab, but its a reflex action now Razz (It has voice to, but you need to download the extra voice pack)
Well, im on safari right now, as I type this, and it actually seens slower then firefox.... Yeah...

EDIT: Rofl, I suppose since its built for Mac or whatever, you cant middle click to scroll up and down the page!
Aside from it being slower, do you think it is the "most innovative browser ever"?

EDIT: Does mouse wheel scrolling work though? (not the click and drag, just the spin the wheel)
I might give this a shot, and if anything, use it just for testing.

well, it appears not to work on my machine. Windows tells me it has encountered an error when I start it.
rolling the mousewheel does work, but you cant click and drag.
Does mouse wheel clicking open the link in a new tab? (I know it does in FireFox, and I'm fairly certain that worked in Opera)
Just tested, it does open a new tab.
Kllrnohj wrote:
Does mouse wheel clicking open the link in a new tab? (I know it does in FireFox, and I'm fairly certain that worked in Opera)
Hah, didn't know that. Smile Another handy tip for surfing faster Very Happy.
Harrierfalcon wrote:
Hah, didn't know that. Smile Another handy tip for surfing faster Very Happy.

ctrl-clicking will do the same thing in firefox if you are on a computer that doesn't have a mouse wheel to click (eg, laptops).
Or clicking both mouse buttons at once (I found this out by accident Smile).
Apple's stupid to waste their time porting their browser; when Firefox and others are already better. Rolling Eyes
Actually, this is going to be great, even though I can already use Safari. Name one other browser that's compatible with the JPEG 2000. Personally, I think they're getting back at Windows for making Mactopia software like Office for Mac and Virtual PC.
it will be nice for page compatibility testing.
haveacalc wrote:
Actually, this is going to be great, even though I can already use Safari. Name one other browser that's compatible with the JPEG 2000. Personally, I think they're getting back at Windows for making Mactopia software like Office for Mac and Virtual PC.

How is this "getting back" at Microsoft? Apple wants Office for Mac. Apple helps with Office for Mac. Besides, Microsoft doesn't really care about IE - look how long it took for them to go from version 6 to 7.
*bump*

Heh, Apple just got pwnt: http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9728500-7.html

Seems they can't write secure software any better than microsoft Razz
Yup, a zero-day exploit within two hours. That's pretty sad. :/
Yeah, what Kerm said, that is kind of sad.
KermMartian wrote:
Yup, a zero-day exploit within two hours. That's pretty sad. :/

A zero-day exploit isn't the worst part, though, its that several were found by a couple of different people - meaning they weren't all that hard to find. Shoddy coding? No new features? Why, again, does Apple think people will actually use Safari?
Bumpity, bump.

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/safaribenchmarks.html

Seems Apple got caught "cheating" on their benchmarks. It would also seem that since it doesn't use progressive rendering, no matter how fast it actually is to the user it will more often than not seem slower. Busted Smile.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours