18%  [ 2 ]
Prefer NVIDIA, but wouldn't mind AMD
 27%  [ 3 ]
Prefer AMD, but wouldn't mind NVIDIA
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't care, as long as it does its job
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

This topic is a discussion of graphics cards. Recently, I've been looking at computers a lot, and of course, being me, I need a gaming computer. The result of that is researching graphics cards a ton. So, I wanted to see what you guys though about this. Smile Do you prefer AMD, NVIDIA, or something else? If you do prefer one or the other, please state which and why you prefer that company.

Besides that, three questions:
1. Current graphics processor
2. What you'll probably upgrade to
3. What you would get if price were not a problem

My Answers:
1. Some integrated card, I'm not sure what it is.
2. Probably a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060. Since I don't really have room for a desktop, I'm looking at laptops with this GPU.
3. If I did have room for a desktop and I actually had money, I'd probably get a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 ti.

For my preferred company, I'm going for NVIDIA, but only because I'm much more familiar with them. I just haven't really looked at AMD at all. Razz
I'm not familiar with NVIDIA, and I mostly use an AMD processor, but I think Intel is best for what I do with computers (which isn't normally gaming). However, I am not really familiar with graphic card stuff. Razz
I avoid Nvidia hardware wherever feasible due to their history of attempting to suppress competition. For example:
  • Pushing (non-portable) CUDA over OpenCL
  • Not even supporting VESA adaptive sync (branded as FreeSync by AMD), instead supporting only G-Sync which requires Nvidia-licensed hardware on both ends of the link.
Quote:
Besides that, three questions:
1. Current graphics processor
Still running a Radeon 7870.
Quote:
2. What you'll probably upgrade to
Provided Vega ends up reasonably priced and efficient I'll probably get one of those.
Quote:
3. What you would get if price were not a problem
Might upgrade more frequently, but I don't see much reason to go more powerful (price-point wise) than what I have done in the recent past. There will invariably be some tradeoff between raw performance and efficiency and I'd rather have a quiet machine than a super-powerful one that I don't take advantage of.

It would be neat to be able to run Elite or DCS with high detail at 5760x1200 though. My current card is not at all up to that task.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours