I need some help for my school project that I'm currently working on. Smile
Let's say you have 26 ports, and N wires. With a wire you can connect 2 ports (duh Razz)
When you have only 1 wire, you can make 26C2=325 possible combinations (not 26*25 because A-B = B-A). But how many combinations can you make with 2 wires? And with 6 and 10?
With 2 wires, I thought 44850 but my teacher said 89700. Which one is true?
I'm 99% sure that with 10 wires you can make 150*10^12 combinations.
Also, you can use a port only once.

Thanks Very Happy
You're looking for the multinomial coefficient. That gives the number of ways N objects can be divided into distinguishable groups (where order within a group does not matter) of size n1, n2, n3, ... where Σn = N.

It is calculated as:

So, with 2 wires you are splitting the 26 ports in groups of 2, 2, and 22. This is equal to

Code:

⎧   26   ⎫ = 26!/        = 89700
⎩ 22,2,2 ⎭     / 22!*2!*2!

However, due to order of the groups not mattering, you need to divide by 2! (2 is the number of groups of 2) again, so the answer is 44850.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours