I have just started working on an RPG for the TI-84+ CSE that is supposed to be based off of Greek mythology. I'm really not sure how it will turn out, and am still looking around for ideas. One thing I would really like to do with this game is make custom sprites for it, so I want to learn Hybrid Basic. I know that there are some good RPGs out there written entirely in TI-Basic but I really think that making it have color sprites would really help. I just think that when people try out a game on a CSE and are so used to color, no matter how good of a game it is when black and white, they still are not likely to play it. Does anyone know of a good Hybrid-Basic tutorial I should try out, or do you think I should just stick to Basic?

EDIT: I'm going to be starting over on what I have and the game will be about the myth, The 12 labors of Heracles/Hercules. You will be Hercules and will have to complete all of the challenges in the myth.
DWMelon wrote:
I have just started working on an RPG for the TI-84+ CSE that is supposed to be based off of Greek mythology. I'm really not sure how it will turn out, and am still looking around for ideas. One thing I would really like to do with this game is make custom sprites for it, so I want to learn Hybrid Basic. I know that there are some good RPGs out there written entirely in TI-Basic but I really think that making it have color sprites would really help. I just think that when people try out a game on a CSE and are so used to color, no matter how good of a game it is when black and white, they still are not likely to play it. Does anyone know of a good Hybrid-Basic tutorial I should try out, or do you think I should just stick to Basic?

EDIT: I'm going to be starting over on what I have and the game will be about the myth, The 12 labors of Heracles/Hercules. You will be Hercules and will have to complete all of the challenges in the myth.
If you haven't already got it, I would suggest downloading Doors CSE. It contains a bunch of BASIC libraries that you might find useful (you can read about them here on the Doors Wiki) Smile
I don't know about any good tutorials, but LibHelp by tifreak is a pretty helpful recource to put on you calculator. It contains all the information on the page that JamesV linked to and a bit more. I've used it when I don't have an internet connection.
Thank you! I've had DoorsCSE for ages now, but the Libhelp program looks like it will be of great help! One thing I have a question about is, how do you make matrices change to be a certain color. I know that's not a good way of wording it but when you look at http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=964
the matrices show up in color lines. I think if I did that to my RPG it would look a lot nicer, and then maybe I could learn how use custom sprites for the characters/enemies.
Thanks again for helping me!
You should read Appendix D of "Programming the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus", which explains some of that. Do you have the original book? If so, I can email you the PDF of Appendix D, which my publisher is dragging its feet on. You should also read the original chapter about creating the Matrix RPG.
Well, I had the book, then I got in trouble and my mom decided to take it away from me... I think I read the chapter about making the Matrix RPG, but I kind of skimmed it. If you could email me the PDF of Appendix D that would be great. Do you have my email from registering?

EDIT: I'm reading Appendix D and when I input the code in to make the matrix color it works great. What do I need to do to change the color of the matrix though, in case I don't want Neon Green and Black?
I believe the appendix has some documentation on the xLIBC call that is used to create colored text. The Doors CS/Doors CSE Wiki has a list of color codes if you don't feel like computing color codes yourself:
http://dcs.cemetech.net/index.php/DCSE:BasicLibs:DispColor

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours