I'm working on a rather complex TI84 program, and I was wondering if there was any way to add comments. In other languages, I know you can do it with "// *comment*" but when I tried that I got a syntax error. Thanks!
The best you can do oncalc is to just have "thesearenotes on a new line.

However, if you care to code in either TokenIDE or SourceCoder, you can do // on a new line and it will be stripped out upon tokenizing the file. Smile
Depends what programming language you are using. In axe comments look like this:

Code:
.Comment
tifreak8x wrote:
The best you can do oncalc is to just have "thesearenotes on a new line.

However, if you care to code in either TokenIDE or SourceCoder, you can do // on a new line and it will be stripped out upon tokenizing the file. Smile

Yeah, I'm using SourceCoder 3. I saw that doing // did something. So, if I just export it with notes with // it will be removed when it is saved as a .8xp? Sorry, just a bit confused. Razz
Yes, saving as .8xp is tokenizing. If you use Tokens, you can also save the file as a .txt, which allows you to keep the notes of the program (which can be important) and when you want to update the program, you just open Tokens, then drag and drop the .txt file over to the tab. I honestly am unsure how SourceCoder handles that; I'll try to get Kerm to make a post in this topic regarding that.
Alright, thanks! I'll post if there are any problems.
SourceCoder removes anything between // and the end of the line when it generates .8xps, so you can indeed use // comments in TI-BASIC programs. Let me know if you have any further SC3 questions. Smile

Edit: The way SourceCoder saves projects internally keeps much of the plaintext of programs, so things like comments and \ characters are saved across edit sessions. If you save a project within SC3 and come back to it later, including on a different computer, the comments will still be there. If you re-load the .8xp you exported from SourceCoder 3, the comments will be gone, of course.
Hey, I have a small problem that isn't really related. Making a whole new topic seemed stupid though. When I type in a lowercase 'm' it turns into 'μ'. Do you know why it would do this?
edit: I'm using SC 3 by the way.
Are you actually typing "mu"--for example, "much"--and it's turning into "μch"? Try typing "\mu" instead. Basically, "mu" is the typable token for μ, which is the greek letter mu. "" lets you escape tokenizing, though, so it'll just tokeninze the "m" and then the next letter independently.
merthsoft wrote:
Are you actually typing "mu"--for example, "much"--and it's turning into "μch"? Try typing "\mu" instead. Basically, "mu" is the typable token for μ, which is the greek letter mu. "" lets you escape tokenizing, though, so it'll just tokeninze the "m" and then the next letter independently.

Ohhh, that makes sense. I was typing the word "Formula". So to get it not to that I would type "Form/ula"?
Except you'll want a backslash, not a forward slash, so "Form\ula" or "For\mula".
merthsoft wrote:
Except you'll want a backslash, not a forward slash, so "Form\ula" or "For\mula".

Okay, thanks! Very Happy
Just a tiny clarification; I didn't realize that TokenIDE and SourceCoder 3 did this differently. In SourceCoder 3, the backslash (\) needs to be in the middle of what would otherwise be a token, so Form\ula would do what you wanted, but For\mula would not. In SC3, the backslash forces a token boundary at the backslash, but a backslash immediately preceding what would otherwise be a token does not change anything. Now I know that TokenIDE is slightly different. Smile
That's probably the better way to do it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours