Googletalk wrote:
i was thinking of getting a compaq presario with a amd 3800+ with 1 gb of ram and dvd 16 times along with a ati radeon x1600pro with 512mb of ram sm 3.0 and 12 pixelpipeline for oblivion
5:58:43 PM: thomas do you think thats a good deal for 675$
5:59:11 PM: whats the processor speed?
5:59:12 PM: are you talking with som1 else or somtin
5:59:37 PM: 2.4 ghz

what do you think?
That looks fairly good... How old is the comp, what kind of shap is it in...?
Hopefully he means x6100, not x1600...Otherwise, sounds awesome.
yeah, not a bad machine
Ill ask him. I think he's buying it new.
Those aren't bad specs for $675. Tell him to go for it, unless of course he'd prefer a Tablet PC. Then I'd have one to recommend... Very Happy
naw...he wants a decent gaming rig. not being hugely into the PC hardware world I thought Id ask here.
definitely. If he could geta Pentium 4 HT, it would probably be better performance...
he's a hard-code AMD man.
*core. Fair enough, go with that then.
KermMartian wrote:
Hopefully he means x6100, not x1600...Otherwise, sounds awesome.

LOL! Kerm, there IS no x6100!!!! ATI's top card is the x1900 Laughing Rolling Eyes so the x1600 would be current generation midrange

those are very, VERY good specs for the price! i'd take it in a heartbeat. That'll be able to run F.E.A.R., Quake 4, etc... at about 1024x768 med to high quality if i remember correctly

Also, the suggestion to put a P4 in a laptop is laughable - those suckers use so much power and generate heat out the wazoo - and the a64 3800 would spank it anyway
O, whoops. I was thinking of the nVidia cards. Fair enough.
Laughing now if a ge-force 1600 ever even existed, imagine how slow that would be...Laughing
Precisely. Hence my comment. Razz
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Laughing now if a ge-force 1600 ever even existed, imagine how slow that would be...Laughing

too bad one never existed

GeForce->Geforce2->gefoce3->geforce4->geforce FX 5xxx->geforce 6xxx->geforce 7xxx
Ahhh, nice. So this gfx card I have in my lap cat IS better than the one in the tc1100 I was going to get. woot.
I'd tap that.
KermMartian wrote:
Ahhh, nice. So this gfx card I have in my lap cat IS better than the one in the tc1100 I was going to get. woot.

POSSIBLY

what card was in the TC1100 and what card do you have?

a more detailed performance timeline: (this is just sorta roughed together, not exact)

geforce2mx->geforce4mx->geforce3->geforce4 4200/4400->geforce fx 5200->geforce 4 4600/4800->geforce fx 56xx/57xx->geforce 6100->geforce fx 59xx->geforce 6600->geforce 6800->geforce 7800/7900

some models are missing in there, but you can see how newer series cards aren't necessarily faster than older ones. More often than not, it goes like so:

old medium=new low < old high=new medium < new high
GeForce 4 420o vs. GeForce fx 5200
KermMartian wrote:
GeForce 4 420o vs. GeForce fx 5200

then yes, your geforce fx 5200 is faster....

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours