The Tari wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:
Basically, you need to get a professor to approve you. Razz That's what that page boils down to.

Dreamspark. Basically all you need is a .edu email address.
Huh, I guess I did know that once upon a time, and totally forgot about it. Very nice.
This Dreamspark thing looks epically amazing! I'm surprised something like this actually exists. There's gotta be a catch somewhere....
KeithJohansen wrote:
This Dreamspark thing looks epically amazing! I'm surprised something like this actually exists. There's gotta be a catch somewhere....
I think the "catch" is that they expect you to make cool software with it, become more of a Windows developer, and continue to be a Windows developer for lots of your professional career. Smile
So they aren't going to spontaneously revoke my software after I graduate college? XD

So if I can use Dreamspark to get free software, should I go for the best version of VSC++ 2010? Razz
KeithJohansen wrote:
So they aren't going to spontaneously revoke my software after I graduate college? XD

So if I can use Dreamspark to get free software, should I go for the best version of VSC++ 2010? Razz
I doubt it, but chances are that it would be somewhat outdated by then. Also, I bet if you read the license carefully, it's for non-commercial use.
At which point you could either buy a licence to keep using it or use the free Express editions (which are free for commercial use too).
benryves wrote:
At which point you could either buy a licence to keep using it or use the free Express editions (which are free for commercial use too).
Ah, that's pretty good; do you know what exactly the professional versions offer over the Express editions, anyway?
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, that's pretty good; do you know what exactly the professional versions offer over the Express editions, anyway?

Plugin support, team support, setup builder, diagram tools, mobile support, stuff like that.

Handy matrix here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zcbsd3cz(VS.80).aspx
The chief differences (in my opinion) are that the paid-for editions run everything through a single IDE (unlike the Express editions which use a different IDE for each language or technology) and that they support add-ins.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours