I overclocked my TI-84+SE's Fast mode to about 19.8MHz by rubbing a graphite pencil on a specific resistor, following a guide on TI-Planet.com.

I don't know if overclocking is the issue, but for some reason I cannot flash applications onto the calculator via USB using TILP 2 from my Ubuntu system. When I attempt to transfer any 8xk application, TILP freezes, the calculator begins garbage collecting, finishes, and then the screen just goes blank for about 10 seconds. After ~10 seconds of TILP being frozen and the TI-84+SE's screen being blank, TILP gives an error about the USB device being disconnected and the calculator returns to the home screen as if nothing happened.
I disassembled the calculator, rubbed off the graphite (now the clock speed of Fast mode is about 16.5MHz), and it still won't accept applications.
It appears to be an issue with the cable...? Even the "backup" feature of TILP won't work. It fails after trying to transfer a few apps from the calc to my PC.
I reset the calculator fully and then took the time to add all my applications again. It works now.

Will never dare to overclock this thing again, I need it for school. It seems there is some graphite residue that still makes it chug at just shy of 17MHz but that is as far as I will ever be willing to go again on a TI-84+SE I really need.
It's a little odd and it could have been something else given things worked after a reset - but glad it's working now.
tr1p1ea wrote:
It's a little odd and it could have been something else given things worked after a reset - but glad it's working now.

Yes it’s strange. I swear it seemed like a cable issue. But now I think about it, it was probably an issue with the batteries not providing enough voltage to reliably drive the USB port and write to the Flash chip at the same time so something ended up corrupted and needed to be reset. (I did perform a battery change before resetting the calc and sure enough it’s doing fine now.)

PSA for calc owners that use disposable cells: listen to your calculator when it says to change the batteries!
Please avoid posting multiple posts in a row: https://www.cemetech.net/news/2014/5/666/_/a-brief-introduction-to-better-netiquette

Quote:
PSA for calc owners that use disposable cells: listen to your calculator when it says to change the batteries!

Yes, the calculator will generally avoid writing the Flash if it thinks the battery is too low, or try and fail to do so.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours