Alright, thanks, guys. I suppose we'll probably try what Kllrnohj just posted first. I'll come back and update this once we get started. I'm sure I'll have even more questions then. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
I was reading that wikipedia entry through, and I do think it's a bit lame of them to abuse the LGPL that way. Bah.

Cedega is fully within both the LGPL and GPL, and is not abusing it at all. The term "Free Software" doesn't mean free as in beer, but free as in speech. You must remember this. GNU is not against selling software at ALL, and will even allow you to sell the source and still be within the GPL (The pricing then becomes a bit of an issue, but thats something different entirely)

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
In the wikipedia entry, it mentions that Cedega doesn't release its full source; due to a technicality involving which GPL version Wine was under when Cedega branched, there's technically nothing wrong with this, but it still seems cheap to me.
They release bits and pieces of it, but it seems like they highly discourage spreading it. I may have found a copy lying on the side of the highway. Wink
We just got in the 64bit version of Ubuntu, but his comp won't load it. The Ubuntu menu comes up, we chose to 'run or install', it loaded the kernal and a bunch of crap, then the screen goes black and a small rectangular box with the Ubuntu logo comes up.

Same thing happened with 32bit version.

We also tried booting DSL. We can boot into text mode, but it freezes when we try to boot with a GUI.

This doesn't make any sense. He has an AMD Athlon 64 2.0ghz (overclocked to 2.2) 3200+ and 512mb of RAM. nVidia Geforce 6800. You'd think he could handle it. Any ideas of what's going wrong?
Did you check the md5 sum? Verify the burn? Short of that, I can't think of anything...
Those questions probably don't need to be asked...
md5 sum? As for verifying the burn, we used 2 pre-burnt mailed cds from Ubuntu, and the other worked in my comp fine.
On the menu when you first boot the CD, just select "Check CD integrity" (or something to that effect) to make sure the CD is good. If it's good, I don't know.
If using a shipped CD, the assumption is that's not necessary...
yeah, when the logo shows up, give it a little time and see if something changes.
I'm home now, so I can't do anything else tonight.

We did the check cd integrity thing. It found 17 errors, or something, but it never said that it was a problem. I remember when I booted it live on my comp some stuff failed while booting, but it still worked. Also, the boot started gradually getting worse as we tried it (both with pc and 64bit versions). I have no clue why. Near the end, it would freeze for a while during boot while loading "power settings" or something like that. After a minute or 2, the screen would be blank, and the text "Decompressing Linux... Done. Ok, Loading Linux" would appear. Then it stayed at that screen.
"Gradually getting worse" as in each time you booted or throughout the boot process?
I'm suspecting bad CD drive or cheap RAM...
Getting worse as in each time we tried to boot.

He has a dvd drive. I'm not sure what kind it is. I'll have him try swapping it with another drive. As for the RAM, I'm not sure what kind it was, either, but it works great in windows. His comp hardly lags at all.

And DSL should boot on anything. I have it installed on my comp with 32mb of RAM and a 266MHz Pentium II. I don't understand why I couldn't boot it with a GUI. I even tried the toram boot code.
foamy3 wrote:
Getting worse as in each time we tried to boot.

Check the disc for scratches that look like part of a circle... or listen carefully to the drive; either way, a bad drive could conceivably be scratching the disc it's trying to read. I wouldn't know whether that's actually possible unless I was there, but I've seen some weird things on cheap hardware...
Quote:
We can boot into text mode, but it freezes when we try to boot with a GUI.

I used to have a very similar problem, but it was due to compatibility issues with stone-age hardware...

Anyways you could try booting with framebuffer support, or put DSL on a flash drive and boot to that.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
Anyways you could try booting with framebuffer support, or put DSL on a flash drive and boot to that.

I was going to suggest booting WITHOUT framebuffer support, as that can create issues. My comp shows a totally black screen during the boot if I have framebuffer enabled (note that it is still booting, but it appears frozen - for me anyway)

@Foamy: When you put in the CD and it comes up saying "hit enter to boot default or hit whatever to see options", check to see if one of the boot options has a -nofb option on it (ie, for the Gentoo 2006.1 installer CD, it has the boot kernels of "gentoo", "gentoo-nofb", and "memtest86" <- try the -nofb one) Also try running memtest, as it could still be a RAM issue regardless of windows (it only takes one bad RAM bit to screw it all up - and that *won't* create lag of any sorts - also have him clock the CPU back to stock, as that could also be creating issues)

I would also try playing around with some of the boot options. I know for mine to work I had to add the options "dosmp" and "noapic" - he doesn't need the dosmp one, but there are other options to enable/disable features. That could help track down the culprit.
Kllrnohj wrote:
I would also try playing around with some of the boot options. I know for mine to work I had to add the options "dosmp" and "noapic" - he doesn't need the dosmp one, but there are other options to enable/disable features. That could help track down the culprit.

We tried noapic, but to no success. We weren't sure what it meant - the help options said to try it if you had trouble. And I think we did a mem test.
Run 3 complete repetitions of memtest86 (so that it says 300% complete)

If in doubt, burn and run this (its a boot CD) -> http://www.memtest.org/

That's the screen he was freezing at at first (but it wasn't the christian edition. It was regular 6.06 64bit edition).

And I burned that memtest boot cd for him. He said he'd try it out tonight. Oh, and he ordered another stick of RAM last night. I'll have him just use the new stick and try to boot with it.
If the memtest gives errors, have him reseat the ram and try again, just to make sure (reseat == pull the ram out and plug it back in, should remove the chance of it just being a bad connection)

EDIT: Oh, but before doing any of this, have him clock EVERYTHING back to stock speeds and make sure the problem still exists

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours