It's December, which means it's Advent of Code time again! If you don't know what Advent of Code is, it's basically an event where you receive two programming puzzles each day until December 25th, getting progressively more challenging as they go. It's a fun challenge to test your programming skills (And maybe learn some new ones as well!), which I'll be attempting to solve this year on the TI-84 Plus CE using a mix of C and assembly. However, the nice thing with AoC is you can do it on any platform or language you like (within reason, I suppose - your skills and knowledge are the limit!) While it's not nearly as impressive as this person who is attempting to do it in pure Z80 assembly, I still thought it would be fun, and I thought I'd share it here in case anyone else was interested. Yes, I know there's already an Advent of Code topic, but it's labeled as "2018" and I thought it might be nice to make a new one and maybe attract some new people. Who knows 🤷

I'll be putting my solutions here, but I'm not really the best programmer so don't expect too much. 😆

There's a private leaderboard with some people from Cemetech that PT_ owns, but I don't have the code for that, so if anyone wants to join mine the code is 933487-7e04771b. It already has a few Cemetechians on it from back in 2020 where I tried (emphasis on tried) to do it in TI-BASIC but sort of failed, so if you're looking to maybe give it a try feel free to join!
387241-7e26eb8c
It's Advent of Code time again! I'm planning to do basically the same thing as last year again, but maybe try an make it a little closer towards Christmas. For anyone interested in doing it on a calculator with me, I actually created a script last year which uses wget and convbin to grab your puzzle input and convert it to a useful AppVar you can send to your calculator. With the release of Celtic CE, I'd be interested to see if anyone wants to give it a try in TI-BASIC on the 84 Plus CE since Celtic makes that a lot more feasible.

My solutions for this year can be found here. If you also want to give it a try on the calculator, I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with as well Smile

Like last year, feel free to join my leaderboard with the code 933487-7e04771b
Great Idea! I'll be sure to join!
Thanks for the reminder! Today was a fun one.
Got the first one, not even trying the second one with C. Might switch languages to C#, which has more string manipulation functions and is something I am more used to.
CoolModder wrote:
Got the first one, not even trying the second one with C. Might switch languages to C#, which has more string manipulation functions.

Honestly I didn't feel like the second part wasn't too bad (in C), though it wasn't necessarily the most elegant. Feel free to take a look at what I did if you're interested (Warning: Spoilers and self-taught code design).
TIny_Hacker wrote:
CoolModder wrote:
Got the first one, not even trying the second one with C. Might switch languages to C#, which has more string manipulation functions.

Honestly I didn't feel like the second part wasn't too bad (in C), though it wasn't necessarily the most elegant. Feel free to take a look at what I did if you're interested (Warning: Spoilers and self-taught code design).
Still don't have it lol, while you are doing it on a calculator. My code was a mess, also self taught. Second day was easier, except I couldn't get strcmp working. Just realized I could have used strncmp (would have made my life eaiser.) Great job!
I've done the first two in Python: although I far prefer C++ for most things, especially where performance is important, for quick prototyping like this Python is the fastest overall. And my solutions today were one-liners backed by a pile of lambdas.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours