Invalid_Jake wrote:
TIny_Hacker wrote:
TortillaMan wrote:
What is the difference between CeaShell and Cesium?

What are you looking for? They're just two different shells. They share a few features, Cesium has some features CEaShell doesn't (USB support), and vice versa (Cesium doesn't have icons in the program menu, CEaShell does). It's just up to you which features and shell you like best Smile

Why not borrow cesiums code and put USB support in?

It wouldn't be like we hadn't done this before, but I think the plan right now is to wait until the USB libraries are released, and see what we do then.

epsilon5 wrote:
Bit late, but congratulations on the recent progress on this! I look forward to testing out the beta release soon. I think you've done a very nice job with both providing a well-thought out GUI as well as new features that haven't been seen before (which are probably the key to competing against Cesium).

Keep up the great work!

Thank you for the kind words! We really appreciate it Smile
We have another big update to announce! But first, here's a roadmap of our planned features before our first release. We're still hoping to release the first version of CEaShell by the end of the year, so most likely these things will not be changing much:
▪ Running/Viewing TI-OS Applications
▪ Program searching in the shell
▪ 2-3 other features that we haven't officially decided on whether we'll do or not. We'll announce them later if we do decide to, but this way nobody gets their hopes up

Now for the update!
We first started off by adding a menu to copy/create new files. This is accessible by pressing the [mode] button. Here's a screenshot of the menu:

Next, we added a new type of appvar, "Celtic appvars". These are meant to be used with Celtic CE (As the name implies). To create a Celtic appvar, use the copy/create menu in the appvars folder. Celtic appvars are distinguished by a specific header at the beginning of the file:

Code:
:CEL

Obviously, this uses TI-OS tokens, so the bytes look like this:

Code:
0x3e, 0x43, 0x45, 0x4c, 0x3f

(The last byte is the newline token)
Here's a screenshot that might explain it a little better:

The file itself is an appvar, though we copy it into a temporary program (Named "appvar" - all lowercase) to edit, since obviously the OS wouldn't like editing appvars directly.

As always, be sure to let us know what you think! Smile
This looks amazing I cant wait for it to be released. Smile Very Happy
I agree, everything looks absolutely amazing. Very Happy
Big Update!

We've added support for apps! However, we discovered a large problem with CEaShell and other apps on the calculator, which happens when apps are deleted. Because of this, we're not going to support deleting apps until the bug is fixed. Here's a screenshot:

Because of this, we also added a second directory for apps, as well as options to hide either (or both) directories like Cesium does. Special thanks to Mateo for writing the app documentation on WikiTI, which helped a lot for this Smile

There will probably be a lot of bugs with the stuff we added, so we'll probably be doing a bit of bug fixing before the next feature update. As always, be sure to let us know what you think!
Hey everyone!

It's been a little while, but we've been making some minor (and a few big) improvements to the shell. This will most likely be the last update before release, all that's left to do is some bug patching and testing. If all goes well, we hope to release sometime before the end of the year!

Here's what we've done since the last post:

▪ Touch up transitions in some places where they weren't working as well
▪ Handle garbage collecting properly, so you'll return to the shell for a seamless experience when it is complete
▪ Fix our APD timer, so that you'll return to the shell when turning the calculator back on
▪ You can also turn off the calculator while in the shell by pressing the [on] key, and it will return to the shell when you turn the calculator back on
▪ Greatly optimize scrolling and menus when you have a lot of files, and fix some issues with that as well
▪ Speed up alpha searching when using certain keys and fix a bug where it would sometimes mess up the file page offset
▪ Display the theta character in file names properly

Like I said before, if all goes well we're hoping to release by the end of this year! Thanks again to everyone for all your support on the project so far, and we can't wait for you to try it Smile

Edit - Forgot to mention this:
The bug causing catastrophe when deleting apps was related to a mistake with the app relocation in commandz' tool, which he has since fixed. This means that deleting apps will also work, and you won't need to worry about things going bonkers when you try it out! Thanks again to commandz for fixing the bug and also making the tool to make CEaShell an app, without it, we wouldn't be able to do a lot of our biggest features!
We are very excited to announce that CEaShell has reached its first official release! Shadow from TI-Planet has translated CEaShell as well, so there are French binaries in the archive if you wish to use those. We can't wait to hear what you think, and we're very glad to be finally releasing!

Here's a download link on Cemetech:
http://ceme.tech/DL2326

If you'd like to download from GitHub, we've also released on GitHub.

Enjoy!
We've just published an updated version with bug fixes and support for lowercase letters when renaming/creating AppVars. Thanks to Oxiti8 for reporting a major bug in the program editor which was fixed, and to LogicalJoe for a bug report and suggestion in the previous minor update that I totally did not forget to make a post about.

The update is available on GitHub and TI-Planet, and will also be available on Cemetech and TICalc once it is approved.
Nice work! Looks like a great shell.
Awesome job, I still really like the look of this shell
I really like this shell and its features, excellent job!

The only thing that kinda bugs me is that the final homescreen output of TI-BASIC programs is erased if the "Edit archived programs" option is on. Could this be fixed?
Now, it's what you've all been waiting for:
CEaShell 2!

As you may know, the original CEaShell had quite a few bugs. The source code was also a mess (especially the C code), and it was a lot bigger than it needed to be. RoccoLox and I initially planned on making a few fixes and optimizations, but after a little tinkering it became clear that it would be better to simply re-write most of it from scratch. By doing this, we'd also open the door to make a number of improvements and additions as well!

So, for the past few months (I think we started in June or July of 2023), we've been working on re-writing CEaShell from the ground up. Since the last version, probably 97% of the code has been changed, and we're excited to announce that it's also currently over 30KB smaller than the previous version!

Here's a list of a lot of notable changes:

New Features:
▪ Four scales for displaying files in the shell, allowing for viewing up to 18 files at once. (Suggested by nanobot567)
▪ Support for app icons, using the format discussed here.
▪ An option to hide the "Programming" menu on Python calculators, skipping directly to a TI-BASIC menu like non-Python calcs. (Suggested by DO Omnimaga)
▪ Support for app icons and copyright info in the OS [apps] menu, like the program icons and descriptions in the OS [prgm] menu feature.
▪ Support for custom text colors, with a separate color for the names of hidden programs. (Suggested by NicePotato)
▪ Scrollbar in the shell's main file viewer.
▪ Integration with HexaEdit.

Notable changes / improvements:
▪ Far cleaner and more consistent C and Assembly code, with better documentation as well.
▪ French and English translations are now in the same source files, with a setting at compile time for which version to build.
▪ Text wrapping is now done using a much more versatile and optimized algorithm.
▪ Keys are properly debounced everywhere.
▪ It is possible to turn the calculator off in the shell regardless of the currently opened menu.
▪ Larger scrollbars which are easier to see.
▪ More consistent styling throughout the shell.
▪ Better string input routine which allows for cursor movement and backspace / delete.
▪ Hidden files are no longer obscured for a transparent look and use a different text color, like in Cesium. (Hidden file icons were hard to see at small scales.)
▪ Much more optimized method of the closing transition animation, using SPI commands.
▪ It is possible to view file info for the Apps, AppVars, and Programs folders.
▪ Text on the homescreen isn't cleared after running programs using CEaShell's hook.
▪ Menus are much better written now and far more optimized.
▪ A bunch of bugs with running / editing programs have been fixed.

Removed:
▪ Easter egg (Don't worry, a new one will be added)
Welcome screen (TBD whether this will be added) We added a simple welcome screen but not as bloated as the old version.
Header to hide programs from the shell (Do people want this? We could look into adding it back) We've re-included this.

To-do:
▪ A lot of testing.
▪ Optimizations.
▪ Any other random features we come up with before release.
▪ Most of the text needs to be re-translated for the French version since a lot of it changed.

Screenshots:

Where can I get it?

We're not quite ready to release it yet, but for now you can always clone the GitHub repository and build it yourself if you'd like to give it a try. We'll also be releasing a beta testing build in our Discord server before the official release, so if you're interested in testing early you can join there as well.

As always, be sure to let us know what you think and give us any feedback you have and we'll try to incorporate it into the shell as well Smile
This looks great! I'll be sure to give it a try.
Congrats Smile
Might stop using Cesium at this rate. Beautiful.
Shhh. Don't tell Mateo.
Finally I've been waiting 😯
Edit: Time to go update 40 calcs from cesium to caeshell. 🤫
I have the same thing, only they are not all mine. I have to update my classmates' calculators
TIny_Hacker wrote:
CEaShell 2!

You know how on Cesium, pressing [on][stat] locks the calculator with a password? Can you implement it before CEaShell release? I know the [on][stat] shortcut is for something else, but maybe you could do [on][X,T,θ,n]?

I'd like to also offer my help with translating. How does that work? Do I just send you a document with the translations or edit the source code.

Calculatordream wrote:
I have the same thing, only they are not all mine. I have to update my classmates' calculators

Haha me too!
ryanconmartians wrote:
TIny_Hacker wrote:
CEaShell 2!

You know how on Cesium, pressing [on][stat] locks the calculator with a password? Can you implement it before CEaShell release? I know the [on][stat] shortcut is for something else, but maybe you could do [on][X,T,θ,n]?

I'd like to also offer my help with translating. How does that work? Do I just send you a document with the translations or edit the source code.

Calculatordream wrote:

Haha me too!

We've gotten this question a lot, but we made a decision early on in CEaShell's development to not include a password, because any type of password on the calculator is basically useless (Just press the reset button) and what kind of stuff do you have on a calculator that really needs one anyway? Sure, it's cool, but as they say, a false sense of security is worse than no security.

As far as translation goes, we'll probably be asking Shadow from TI-Planet who translated the previous version. However, feel free to DM me on Discord if you'd like to translate to any other languages, and if Shadow doesn't I can let you know Smile Translation should be as simple as forking the repository and editing the text in the #ifdef FR blocks, then submitting a PR.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours